User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: random mod, anyone converted the rear ashtray to light up the rear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default random mod, anyone converted the rear ashtray to light up the rear?

not sure if this would look stupid or not, but had the rear trim out today to fix the flip lid on the rear cig lighter, and noticed wiring behind it (i assume for rear seat switches?). i see there was a grey/yellow wire, which i believe is for dash illumination, has anyone used this to light the rear up somehow using the ashtray face, or at least the hole from the ashtray with an adaped cover (ours is broke).

just thinking out loud at the moment, dont know if it is a stupid idea or not, i dont want anything bright as it would be on when headlights are on, but something subtle like the light from the rear view mirror, just enough to light up the area, but then if thats the case, is there any point at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SRi Nav

Engine : 1.8 VVT

Year : 2006

Mileage : 130k

I have put a light below the ashtray. Will go and dig up my old thread to show you what I did.

I quite like it.

BRB

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers, thats exactly the sort of thing i am looking to do, got a spare boot light aswell so got everything i need, looks spot on does that.
    only difference is i havent got any leds anywwhere else, so whould need something standard looking, but if i use the standard bulb it would be to bright to be on all the time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You could go for a warm white led festoon bulb. That way you could spin it round to face at an angle to project less light.

Im sure there are some on ebay.

Will have a look see

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Opel Vectra GTS

Trim : Elegance

Engine : 2.2 DTi 16V

Year : 2003

Mileage : 75 000

From the rear seats heating switches wiring :

- Grey/yellow wire = dimming +12 V

- Brown wire = ground

It's permanent voltage from the BCM, shared with the cigarette lighters lighting, meaning it will stay lit day and night, as long as the key is turned on. It also should be dimming from the headlights switch setting, and be automatically switched off after a while when the car is left unattended.

Note that this is the cigarette lighters lighting only ; the cigarette lighters heating and/or accessory plugs voltage itself isn't affected by the auto switch-off feature, as it's directely connected to the battery through a large fuse and a relay (but it's still turned off when the key is removed).

About your mod, Envy, I really like the footwells indirect lightings, but not the blinding one on the rear... There are interesting ideas to be taken, though.

Apart from the rear heating seats wiring (which is a good connection point anyway), you can get the grey/yellow wiring dimming voltage directly from the main loom after the BCM, from its pin # 38 (at connector # X1, to the back of the large fuse panel on the left end of the dash).

For people willing to have those lights auto swtiching off when the engine is running (which I'd actually prefer), you can take the voltage from the red wire from BCM pin # 19 (at connector # X1). Lights will then not be dimming : they will light at full power, then fade out and switch off when the key is turned on.

Taking voltage from the black wire of the cigarette lighter (easiest available connection point) will give a truly permanent (at least while ignition is on) voltage with high power capacity (well, limitated to the black wire thickness and fuse value, though. Enough for a handsfree kit or a small headunit, but not for power amplifiers, of course). For instance, I power supplied my power box with it, so it's turned off when I turn ignition off. I didn't see the point of having it staying supplied 24h a day, heating for nothing, and draining the battery in the process ! Who needs a working power box when the engine is off ???
    Last edited by Z80; 18th February 2013 at 02:34.

Thread Information