Thread: PC World - Customer Servcie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Eek PC World - Customer Servcie!

Just been down to PC world to get a new laptop. Spec'd the laptop online an Acer Aspire which fitted my needs. Could have got it £15 cheaper online, but thought id just go down and buy it local.

Just needed to check that the LAN port was Gigabit to which i was asked why i would need that as a feature?

Because a run a Gigabit LAN at home i replied... You wont see any advantage if its only 100Mb was the reply.... Oh really i said... I really do beg to differ! - Its your choice Sir came the reply and a sigh.

Would i like recovery disks etc?? No thanks, i use Windows Server with WDS (network software distribution software across a network)

Oh that wont work says the chap, you have to have the original disks. It does work i have used it multiple times on a myriad of differnt PC's and Laptops with no problems.

Its your choice Sir......

Went to pay, and was told i had to provide an email address, telephone number and postcode. Sorry, not giving you my email address and phone number as i dont want to be pestered with bone phone calls (i didnt say bone). But you must we cant sell without those details. Go get the manager i said. No problem in the end with that.

Then they wanted my address details - Again, if i dont have to i dont like to give it out to stores etc as you again get junk mail. But you have to says the chap. Why says I?

Because you might plug in a TV device !!!!

Do you want this sale or not?? Manager again, no problems Sir - Sale completed.

I remained calm and curtious throughout and didnt come across as a Know-it-all - just stated facts.

Geeezz,
    Last edited by Aidi; 16th February 2013 at 14:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Irmscher Elite

Engine : 3.0 CDTI

Year : 2005

Had the same when i went to buy an ipad before christmas. They wouldn't sell to me without a home phone number. I dont have a home phone. Surely that's quite common these days

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And they advertise themselves with the slogan "KNOWHOW" know nowt in my opinion, I just use them to check prices have a laugh at their prices and to physically loook at an item, as a long standing computer engineer I would not touch them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The only complaint i have with PC World is the service. An Acer Laptop is an Acer Laptop no matter where you buy it from. They are convenient if you know exactly what you want and its in stock.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To be fair, if you're shopping at PC World they probably assume you don't know what you're talking about. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole unless it was an emergency and I couldn't wait to get something delivered off t'internet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : SRi

Engine : CDTi 200

Year : 2007

I work for currys/pcw and can assure you not all stores are like that. email and phone numbers aren't neccessary and you can opt for no marketing, which includes post. However due to TV licensing had you not wanted to give your address details to us you would have left without the laptop as its a legal requirement for us to take them now! apologies if that sounds harsh, but we get mystery shopped for all sorts now including things like that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

So what about the WDLive PVR which i bought recently? It can get BBC iPlayer and i did not need to give an address for that - and also the DVD/HDD PVR i also recently bought no address for that either. Both can process TV pictures. You could argue the point that they cant without a display. So if i bought a PC monitor at the same time which can not directly receive a tv signal, but can connect into both the devices above would i have been made to supply these details because i could possibly connect them together?

As for opting out of marketing, i have fallen for that one before. Less than 6 hours after buying a Camera i had them on the phone asking for a customer survey about my purchase.

And whilst on the subject sales going mad, I got asked in Superdrug the other day if firstly i wanted to top up my mobile - No How about a book of 6 1st Class stamps - No and finally if i wanted to buy 3 for the price of two bags of mini eggs - in Feb in a chemist!!

Appreciate not all places (inc PCWorld/Currys) are like this - in fact where i used to live near Poole, the PC World/Currys staff were spot on in pretty much every aspect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Sri

Engine : 2.2 direct

Year : 2004

I bought 2 tv's from currys before Christmas and I wasn't asked for any details.
    I know what you mean about the staff and currys/pc world aren't the only culprits, personally I only tend to use them for actually seeing/using an item before buying from the cheapest supplier

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just slightly off subject,i bought a security light from Srewfix last week and they ask you for your Post code and house number .. didn't give it.. but the sales guy tried to insist i gave it,i just said to him.."do you want me to go elsewhere for the light" and he replied no sir,so i left it at that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C Facelift

Trim : SRi

Engine : CDTi 200

Year : 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Aidi View Post
    So what about the WDLive PVR which i bought recently? It can get BBC iPlayer and i did not need to give an address for that - and also the DVD/HDD PVR i also recently bought no address for that either. Both can process TV pictures. You could argue the point that they cant without a display. So if i bought a PC monitor at the same time which can not directly receive a tv signal, but can connect into both the devices above would i have been made to supply these details because i could possibly connect them together?

As for opting out of marketing, i have fallen for that one before. Less than 6 hours after buying a Camera i had them on the phone asking for a customer survey about my purchase.

And whilst on the subject sales going mad, I got asked in Superdrug the other day if firstly i wanted to top up my mobile - No How about a book of 6 1st Class stamps - No and finally if i wanted to buy 3 for the price of two bags of mini eggs - in Feb in a chemist!!

Appreciate not all places (inc PCWorld/Currys) are like this - in fact where i used to live near Poole, the PC World/Currys staff were spot on in pretty much every aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Owens View Post
    I bought 2 tv's from currys before Christmas and I wasn't asked for any details.
    I know what you mean about the staff and currys/pc world aren't the only culprits, personally I only tend to use them for actually seeing/using an item before buying from the cheapest supplier
    Then the assistant/cashier entered the store details(they shouldn't have!) as the above items do require the details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information