Vehicle : SIGNUM 1.9 CDTI ELITE

Trim : ALL OPTIONS ELITE

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2005

Mileage : 140,000

confused signum 1.9 cdti problems.T

Hi,
    1.9 cdti 150bhp 136k fsh.

I have posted this problem already but am going to undertake a major strip down of everything I am able to take off and clean....
    symptoms are....

1. Start the car from cold and there is a plume of blue-ish smoke, as soon as the smoke has cleared,usually 4 seconds then the car does not smoke at all and ticks over/runs perfectly. (could be stem seals but dont think so)

2. There is only very low down boost from the turbo and boost is hardly noticeable when you get into third gear (not smoking)

3. All the pipes going into the turbo and out of the intercooler are wet with oil. (not been over filled with oil)

4. The throttle body and inlet manifold are both wet with oil.

5. The crank case breather "can" and all pipework going into it are wet with oil.

The car is running sweet as a nut but not boosting anywhere near as it should.

Things I am going to do in the morning are as follows....

1. I am going to change all the boost pipes for new silicon ones

2. I am going to remove the crank case breather pipe from the turbo inlet pipe, blank the inlet off and temporarily vent the crank case pipe to atmosphere.

Couple of questions......

1. If the intercooler is full of oil is it easy enough to remove whilst I have all the airbox etc off?? What do I clean it with???

2. I have blanked the egr valve off but lets say the egr valve is knackered in the electronic side, would this cause the car not to boost properly?

3. Is it possible that the crank case breather "can" thingy is stuck open letting oil into the system and can it be cleaned?

I am going down this route as due to the fact all the pipework is wet with oil and I have no smoke when Im driving which would suggest the turbo seals are ok??

Please if anyone has any further things I can check or tips whilst I have got it all stripped down then please drop a message.
    Many thanks,
    Paul.

p.s. it has had the new type inlet manifold at some point which is working fine and I have had the dpf removed (15000 miles ago), the boost pressure sensor on the inlet manifold has been cleaned and the egr has been cleaned and blanked off,boost pipes all seem to be swapping pressure ok and no sign of air leaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150. Manual

Year : 2006

Quote Originally Posted by bladeage1 View Post
    1. Start the car from cold and there is a plume of blue-ish smoke, as soon as the smoke has cleared,usually 4 seconds then the car does not smoke at all and ticks over/runs perfectly. (could be stem seals but dont think so)
    Do you get that from the front? Noticed it today. Car is under warrenty so need to figure out what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Sounds like all of the oil is coming through your cam case breather, so too much pressure in this area pushing oil out - this in turn will mean everything on your air intake (breather hose, turbo, intercooler, boost hose, throttle body, intake manifold) will be full of oil. If you're certain you haven't overfilled the oil, then maybe a compression test or leakdown test is worth doing to check for combustion chamber leaks (piston seals, valve stem seals).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : Sri nav

Engine : Z19dth

Year : 2006

Have you decatted too? Mine is (de-dpf'd too) and I get a puff of white smoke on startup. It's just the unburnt fuel during startup.
    I'll guess either your turbo is gone, or you're leaking boost somewhere. Are you sure your egr is sealed ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,
    I have spent the day removing pipes etc and didnt really find that much oil in them,so continued on and took the throttle body off.....what a horrible gunky mess it was inside, I cleaned it all off and decided to empty half a can or so of carb cleaner into the inlet manifold not all at once but over half an hour or so just to see if it would release some of the soot in there and perhaps give the swirl flaps a bit of a clean,I did let the carb cleaner dissipate for a while before starting the engine and when I did start it loads and loads of crap came out the back and it then cleared. I took it for a drive and what a difference there is now.....it is definitely boosting well in 1st and 2nd,...3rd 4th and fifth I can now feel it pulling much better but still not quite like it should.
    I am guessing that the swirl flaps were/are stcking slightly?
    I checked the swirl bar for movement the other day and all seemed ok with it? If the swirl flaps were not opening/closing properly would that cause the turbo to not work properly?
    Should I take the inlet manifold off now and give it a thorough clean and how easy and long does it take to do this>?
    Many thanks everyone!
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

no my smoke was coming from the exhaust, sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi (VXR Styling)

Engine : Z19DTH (Re-mapped)

Year : 04

Mileage : 140k

Where is the TB located? Should have done mine today

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by leemarksmith View Post
    Where is the TB located? Should have done mine today
    TB >?? sorry not that up on abbreviations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi (VXR Styling)

Engine : Z19DTH (Re-mapped)

Year : 04

Mileage : 140k

Sorry throttle body, is it top left of engine otherside of EGR valve at back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by leemarksmith View Post
    Sorry throttle body, is it top left of engine otherside of EGR valve at back?
    Hi,
    It is a 3 minute job to remove,

The throttle body (looking at the engine from front of car) is at the top right hand side of the engine and has a large 4" ish pipe going to it (intercooler pipe), the TB is bolted onto the inlet manifold by three Allen key bolts,two at the top and one at the bottom which is hardly visible, the gasket is metal so is ok to refit.
    Be prepared for the worst mess you have ever seen once removed !
    I cleaned it firstly with wd40 but decided carb cleaner was better (go buy a can of carb cleaner!!)

The inlet tract was very badly sooted up and I scraped as much of the crap out of the inlet manifold as I could.....there was loads....probably a couple of mm's + thick of gunky soot!
    I decided to liberally spray carb cleaner into the inlet manifold making sure I got right to the end of it,making sure I had wetted mostly all of the inside of the manifold.....I did this over half an hour in stages so I did not flood the ports.
    If you are going to do this then each time you soak the inside of the inlet manifold let the carb cleaner dissipate (evaporate) for 20 minutes or so. If you start the engine with all that carb cleaner still swimming about in there then you will Hydraulic the engine!!!! so gently does it and take a few hours doing it!

I started my car and couldn't believe the crap it kicked out and also the boost is back

It is not my recommendation you should try this, just letting you know it worked for me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information