User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saving wasted fuel and beating Civic type Rs too. Nitrous - burst my bubble!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Saving wasted fuel and beating Civic type Rs too. Nitrous - burst my bubble!

From what I have read:
    • -Black smoke from a diesel is unburnt/wasted fuel
    • -Nitrous is fed in between turbo and inlet
    • -Too much nitrous will just pass through without causing damage
    • -For nitrous to be effective, you need to increase fuelling.

If this is correct, I should be able to:
    1. Use my CRD2 box on for overfuelling.
    2. Install a dry jet of nitrous just in front of the intake manifold.
    3. Put a micro-switch under the accelerator(and a separate main switch).

This should mean instead of a load of black smoke when I boot it, the nitrous burns all the fuel and gives me more power.

Feel free to dissect, correct and even mock me. Constructive criticism is the best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

Been there, done that, 235hp at the road wheels and a slipping standard clutch at 384lbft was the result.

You are half right in that if there is not enough air then there will be excess diesel and it will be pumped out as a black cloud. You can get that if the fuel is injected too late to burn aswell due to too much duration. This is often the problem with standard injectors on heavily turned cars. That is why I am getting the uprated injectors mapped this weekend in a car with a larger compressor than I currently run but with a standard turbine.

If you think you will save money with nos then you are in for a shock. The kit to fit nos is many hundreds, the rifills were £65 for ten minutes worth on my setup, the insurance is very expensive because most places don't understand nos and won't cover it and you need to put a compressed gas warning on you car to carry nos. Lost interest yet?

An eds stage one mapped 1.9CDTI 16v vectra with beat a standard civic type r down a quater mile strip as I have seen proven repeatedly. Stick on a hybrid turbo and map and you'll humiliate a type r upto and well past their top speed. With a full package like mine, you'll not bother wasting diesel on the strip against a type r unless it has a blower fitted.

Anything else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Neutron, I have followed a lot of your posts and seen you R&D, tune up, tune down, tweak, test to destruction and then repeat tests. What you say on this engine goes, as far as I am concerned and I am well up for listening to anything you have to say.
    I got rid of a 12.9 sec car for economy and safety and money in the bank. My commute got longer and my wife using my car more often meant a 2 door impreza with no airbags, 27mpg(mapped for super unleaded only) and knees for crumple zones wasn't ideal. We used to own a mondeo tdci130, which handled better than the 150cdti no argument. It was a nicer drive, smoother transition through town and with loads less lag. It was slower though and died at 170k miles. I looked for ST155, but they were so overpriced compared to the vectra and still had risk of subframe/injector issues.

My vectra is completely standard, on 123k and my mate was shocked when a FN2(new style) civic type R really struggled to overtake us. He figured with my car being full of tools and a 90kg passenger, that there must be nothing in the straight line acceleration between the 2 cars. (We also have a clio 197 for handling and high rev NA power. It is great fun, but I like the effortless torque, especially with the Green box from DTUK).

Since I was 16, watching Fast and Furious, through all my project and track cars, I have wanted Nitrous. I have always been scared to run the car too lean or rich. I had a redtop Nova which was screaming out for this, but I never fitted the kit due to me worrying about mapping/timing.

Now I think I have a chance of DIY NOS where I can't go wrong(except waste nitrous/money) and it looks like a laugh. My crappy, unwashed diesel, ASDA mobile beating my mates corsa VXR in a straight line. Then I can boast about my awsome fuel economy(only actually 38mpg). Also I want my mods that when the car does die, I can remove easily.

So, is my simple bottle, solenoid, throw as much NOS until the black smoke disappears idea good, or bad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2007

well tbh your vectra must be fooked well suspension mondeos handle crap take it from me mate as carl says a good remap and fmic possibly a hybrid turbo will leave a corsa vxr in its wake as for nos i have a kit well a wet kit sat here for my old siggy and i never bothered no need as it wont last lost with nos as for 12.9 second scooby aint bad do you no andy forester hes a scooby man aswell lol and my vectra gives type rs a run anyday so just map it buddy nos is bad lol well in a derv u woukd be better with water meth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by paulvectrac View Post
    well tbh your vectra must be fooked well suspension mondeos handle crap
    I have never met anybody though who recons that a vectra handles better than a mondeo. I mean nobody!! Same with Focus being better than astra.
    My suspension is probably goosed mate. I though putting new shocks and -15mm springs last summer(spring broke and failed MOT so just replaced them all) would help, but chronic understeer and not massive confidence in it. As I say, bought it because vectra didn't hold its value well, cheap to run and easy to find parts for.

Yeah, I had an Andy Forrest live map on my old car. He is a true pro. I had the same base car as his world record V4 Type R. Only difference was about 400bhp. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : signum

Trim : elite

Engine : 1.9 cdti 16v 225bhp

Year : 54

Mileage : 150k

im with sandbag on that one i had 130tdci mondeo and it handled far better than the vectra in the twists and turns and theres nothing wrong with my suspension

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The nos idea would work but as with a petrol, you need extra fuel aswell as nos. A system with lpg and nos or methanol and nos is the best option. In honesty, you'll struggle on the standard turbo to flow enough air through, it will ristrict on the compressor size most.

I was running the nos through a 4mm unrestricted hose, with 1.5ltr/min of pure methanol to hit 235whp. With a hybrid turbo, I only need 0.8ltr/min of 50:50 water:methanol to hit 224whp. If you changed the turbo then you would be in a much better position to use nos but then you'd only want to use it at top end as the torque would be far too high for the cultch below 3500rpm.

Can you, yes. Is it cost effective, no. Did you ask about insurance yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If you are hell bent on it, I can tell you what you need.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Year : 06

Quote Originally Posted by sandbagsniper View Post

I have never met anybody though who recons that a vectra handles better than a mondeo. I mean nobody!! Same with Focus being better than astra.
    My suspension is probably goosed mate. I though putting new shocks and -15mm springs last summer(spring broke and failed MOT so just replaced them all) would help, but chronic understeer and not massive confidence in it. As I say, bought it because vectra didn't hold its value well, cheap to run and easy to find parts for.

Yeah, I had an Andy Forrest live map on my old car. He is a true pro. I had the same base car as his world record V4 Type R. Only difference was about 400bhp. Lol
    I agree with Paul there very boaty like Luke driving on marshmallows lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia CDTi SRi NAV 160

Trim : SRi

Engine : A20DTH

Year : 2009

Mileage : 88000