User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Signum cdti 150 problems, help anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : SIGNUM 1.9 CDTI ELITE

Trim : ALL OPTIONS ELITE

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2005

Mileage : 140,000

Default Signum cdti 150 problems, help anyone?

Hi all!
    I was having a few problems with my signum last week,engine light came on,went into limp mode etc so I did the obvious and cleaned the egr valve which was jammed (both the small pin and the main spring), I freed it all off ok and all was/is working well when I reassembled and refitted, I then removed the turbo airflow thingy(pressure switch?) from the inlet manifold and gave that a good clean as it was quite gunked up.
    I went for a ride and the car had definitely improved and is no longer in limp mode but the engine light is still on?
    The engine is running fine with no untoward smoke on acceleration etc but there is a very noticeable drop in turbo boost, it does seem to boost a little but there isnt any rush like it used to? there is also a noticeable whistle when you are driving on boost, I have to admit the turbo power has seemed to drop off slightly over a few months.
    When starting from cold in a morning there is a large cloud of greyish/dark smoke and it stutters for a few seconds then all is ok....no smoke and the engine ticks over like new. It has had new glow plugs so with the other problems I am guessing the turbo is on its way out?
    Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks
    Paul.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I managed to get an hour checking all the boost pipes and couldnt find any leaks, there are two pipes going into a small white vacuum chamber thing that is sat on top of the radiator,I took the pipes off of it and checked by sucking and blowing through them and and checked for pressure with the engine running, both pipes had positive and negative pressure there, I then blew down and sucked on the pipe that goes down to the Turbo actuator and I could definitely hear the actuator working although when I sucked on the pipe to open the actuator it was a constant suck as if the pressure was escaping slowly....is that how it should be?
    I re-removed the turbo boost pressure sensor from the inlet manifold and after 200 miles it is again covered in oil residue (wet), I am guessing if there is oil vapor in the inlet manifold then that would suggest the turbo seals are going and would another possible indicator be the cloud of smoke from cold in a morning.

It is actually boosting but the power of boost and the duration is very low, I just cant work out why if it is the turbo failing I dont have masses of smoke when its driving, just the huge cloud first thing in a morning? If you flog it to death in second and third gear then there is actually a small trail of blue smoke out of the back but other than that , nothing.
    The only other thing I can think of is that when I took the egr valve off I actually split the egr into two pieces and found that the small push pin that goes into the electrical half was seized inwards,I did free this off but am now wondering if the electronics in that half of the valve are malfunctioning they may be affecting the ecu in some way.....could it be I just need a new egr valve?......what actually happens when an egr valve fails? apart from putting car in limp mode would it be able to possibly restrict the turbo in some way??

any way, enough sucking and blowing for today and many thanks for all and any advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi,
    I have had a look at the turbo, the large pipe that goes into the side is caked in oil, the ooposite side of engine there is another large pipe that goes into the throttle body and down the back of the engine......this pipe is also caked in oil.........any advice chaps????
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design+

Year : 2007

Mileage : 101000

Quote Originally Posted by bladeage1 View Post
    Hi,
    I have had a look at the turbo, the large pipe that goes into the side is caked in oil, the ooposite side of engine there is another large pipe that goes into the throttle body and down the back of the engine......this pipe is also caked in oil.........any advice chaps????
    Cheers
    some black oily mess in these pipes is normal due to leakage of the turbo bearings and also the crankcase breather. Unless there's a lot of blue smoke or high oil consumption then it's probably not to be concerned over.

You say when you suck on the pipe to the turbo actuator that it seems to leak? you do mean the pipe that goes from the solenoid down to the actual turbo don't you? try replacing the pipe (need cover off undDr engine to get to the end of it) and try again. if is still seems to be leaking then maybe the diaphragm in the actuator has split. I have a spare actuator I could post you to try, but you have to take off the whole blower to change it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for reply,
    the main hoses from the turbo and the one that goes to the throttle body all seem to be full of oil (quite a lot) and I have noticed today when you give it some in first and second gear for the amount of time the turbo boosts there is blue smoke behind the car,I will take the airbox off and the turbo inlet pipe and check the shaft for play, anything else I can check for whilst I have got all the airbox off?
    Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Many thanks ,
    all sorted at back to normal running, have posted new reports.
    thanks,
    Paul.

Thread Information