User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oooppps! Iv put too much oil in!!!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Pre-Face Vectra

Trim : LS+

Engine : 2.0 DTI

Year : 2002

Mileage : 140k +

Eek Oooppps! Iv put too much oil in!!!

I thought i'l share my little mishap and share a few laugh with you guyls and gals. I did an oil and filter change yesturday afternoon after work and half way through it i had a phone call to pick someone up in wakefield so i rushed it to pick him up. Anyways halfway down m62 spanner light briefly came on and off. Then it stayed on and kinda went into limp mode. I thought il just keep on going to check car once i get there as i had the mrs and daughter in car andn fearing that if i'd stopped on hard shoulder that car wont start back up and didn't want to be stranded on motorway with my 2yr daughter. Got to wakefield and checked it, oil seamed fine (it was dark) and everything looked intact. Started up fine no spanner light??? Mmm must of been nothing i'd thought. Oh it came on again halfway down m62 back home. Damn il check it in the morning when its light. Checked oil again and the oil was about 1cm past the max mark which i didn't see last night as it was dark and fresh oil! What i did was i used last over from a 4l drum from last service and used a fresh drum. So im there scratching me head thinking what a numpty i was and how shall i get it out? I thought drop some oil from sump but had nowt to drop it into at the time. Then ting my lil brain goes. I got a bit of pipe left over from airline from fish tank and a seringe from me daughter oil medicine and drained it from dipstick. Hahaha i thought it'l take 5min. Oh no it didn't took almost 30min and realised the seringe is only 5ml!! D'oh.! It'l teach me to over fill with oil!!! Hahahaha

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.8vvt

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.8xer

Year : 2008

Mileage : 20,000

Hello,when i got my veccy home after buying it from a dealer i thought i would check things under the bonnet and i found that they had filled the engine with too much oil-about 2.5 ltrs!!!Went and bought an oil drainer and drained the oil,refilled the engine and found that the dipstick markers were not very good so i cut some light marks on the reverse of the dipstick were the marks are with a hacksaw to give me a better idea about how much oil was in--works ok too and i also have bought a oil drainer/vacuum ]Seago] its called for removing oil in the future--at least 2 oil change's a year and with this you don't need to remove the sump plug--it just gets on with removing the oil from the engine via the dipstick hole.Just must make sure the oil is hot when you do it--makes job a lot easier-----Dave

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

On the diesel it has to be hot when checked as if it's cold the reading is much higher.

Not sure about the petrol models.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Pre-Face Vectra

Trim : LS+

Engine : 2.0 DTI

Year : 2002

Mileage : 140k +

I checked the oil stone cold and after a blast round village and leaving it for 5min and it was both the same. I did look on this forum to see if anyone had the same problem. I did come across with these syphon kits but i needed it to be done today. I laughed after all this thats why iv shared my experience. Thanks for the replies guys

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I find it a pain checking the oil on mine. Every other car bas been cbeck when cold, which was good as first thing in the morning you could check the oil. With this you've got to check it when up to temp and left for 5 mins.

Plus its hard to read on the dipstick. ...

Thread Information