Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Sri

Engine : 2.0 turbo

Year : 2007

Mileage : 103000

Default Just joined the gym and need help

Hello

Im after a little help in what I need to be doing. I am 30 6ft tall and weighing in at 15.5 stone. I want to lose weight and tone up but after reading lots on the Internet I have confused myself (doesn't take much to be honest)
    I understand that I need to change my eating habits. But I'm more interested in what training I should be doing.
    Any help would be great.

VIP-Member
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : `

Trim : `

Engine : `

Year : `

Mileage : `

High Intensity interval training seems to be the way ahead if you just want to tone up. They put you in to the fat burn zone and give you a cardio work out at the same time.
    "We are not some sort of dictatorship!"

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : Sri

Engine : 2.0 turbo

Mileage : 103000

What does that involve?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've trained quite a lot over the years, mainly bulking. The most important thing you need to sort out is diet. That accounts for at least 75% of training. What's your body fat %? I'd stick to a high clean protein diet, plenty of chicken fish etc and cut down on the carbs, only around 2000 calories a day but clean food. Also make sure your training is intense, small breaks between weight sets etc and cardio at least 3 times a week, concentrate on one core area every day. I managed to go from 20% body fat and 13st 10lb to 14% body fat and 14st 8lb

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SRI XP1

As Das and Jonny have said, it ain't an easy feat. HIIT is really good, I prefer doing it before breakfast, usually half hour worth of sprints or on the static bike. A good breakfast eg porridge with raisins, flaxseed etc. You need to eat healthy throughout the rest of the day but dont fall in to the trap of buying "low fat" stuff. They are rubbish and usually contain a lot of sugar to make up the taste. You also need to have an intake of fat to be able to burn fat, if you don't then your body will reserve the fat and start taking energy from other areas eg muscle. You need to have a balanced intake of Carbs, Protein and good fats. If you don't want to dig too deep, cut out anything with "white" carbs eg bread, rolls, rice, pasta etc. However, wholemeal stuff is ok for you as long as you don't go overboard. If you drink alcohol, i'd recommend cutting it out altogether for just a few weeks at least. There's plenty of fitness websites that can give you hours of reading for nutrition and training advice. Have a search for myprotein, bodybuilding.com etc HTH

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C VXR

Trim : VXR Fully Loaded

Engine : 2.8 Turbo, remapped

Mileage : 65,000

just a quickie ^ you cant be in the fat burning zone and cardio zone at the same time! but HIIT will obviously take you to both at different times during the exercise.

Fat burning zone is around 65% of your max heart rate, cardio (working the heart muscle) is 85-90% of your max heart rate. So HIIT is ideal for this, as is any interval training.

If you want to burn the fat then stick to the 65%, if you want improved cardio fitness then take it to as far as 90% of max HR (max HR is 220 minus your age)

If you think about a scale of 1-10, the old RPE scale (rate of perceived exertion), then at 6/10 your probably at 65%, if youre at 8 or 9/10 youre probably at 90% (cardio), people find this an easier way to judge where youre at without being hooked up to a cardio machine in the Gym

HTH

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Mate you want to be eating more carbs in the morning through out the day eat protein foods, with weights 4 sets of 12 reps per muscle and nomore than 4 excersises per muscle, for cardio you need to do half an hour per session, watch the weight drop of

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Trim : SXi

Engine : 2.2

When I cut to make a fight weight or just tone up for summer I keep my training exactly the same all year round. I keep the length of recovery between sets at a bare minimum. None of this waiting around 5mins. I load the bar for example 70kg on Bench do my first 12 warm up reps. Stop load the bar up and do the next set say 95kg 8 reps. Load the bar 115kg 8 reps load the bar 6 reps 130kg unrack everything and straight onto the next movement. I find it keeps me in the "fat burning" zone and I can still lift. (Obviously you would lift heavier if you waited longer inbetween sets) At most I will have 60secs inbetween sets.

Diet and believe me after training for the past 23 years this accounts for at least 85% of your success. You can train your guts out in the gym but if you don't eat right it ain't worth nothing.
    Keep your carbs high in the morning eating complex carbs that will fuel your body all day. Eat carbs before you train (I have a couple of ceral bars and a bannana) and I normally drink a protein shake whilst I train. Remember you will need carbs after your session otherwise your body eats the protein you consume so I go 50/50 for my meal after I train with protein and carbs. As the evening goes on (After around 6pm but does depend when you train) the carbs are dropped totally. A protein shake with around 2 grams of carbs is all I consume maybe with a spoonful of flaxseed oil to keep the cals up.

Maximuscle do a protein powder for dieting http://www.maxishop.com/maximuscle/l...on/promax-diet and thermobol work very well together. I can only recommend these two as that is all I use but every Monday Maximuscle have special offers on where you can get some of it for half price and still get the same value on the points so every couple of months you end up getting a couple of tubs for free using your points. They also have a couple of calculators on there for working out what you need diet wise in regards to cals

Rule of thumb 1gram of protein and carbs are 4 cals 1 gram of fat is 9g

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C VXR

Trim : VXR Fully Loaded

Engine : 2.8 Turbo, remapped

Mileage : 65,000

^^^ good advice...but just enjoy the training for the time being and dont get lost in the science to start with

Enjoy your workouts, let your body adapt to what youre asking from it, and then worry about the science/maths in a few weeks when youre ready to step it up

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2

Year : 2003

Mikey what are your goals though, fitness, size, strength, tone? These will have a huge bearing on the type of training you do.

Thread Information