Thread: I thought my EGR was deleted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default I thought my EGR was deleted

Hi, I've been lurking around in the shadows for a while on this forum and have usually been able to find what I'm after. But the time has come when I need to ask a question.

I have a 09 SRI 150 with what seems to be an EGR issue.

A few months ago I blanked my EGR fully then got a remap and "EGR delete" (So therefore no warning light)

Shortly after this the car became awful to drive (no power below 2000, judders at motorway speeds in 5th and 6th and just plain awful when cold)

That was until yesterday when I disconnected the EGR and WOW! what a difference. Its like a new car, just power power power all the time.

I thought this was the end of my problems until the warning light came on today.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can get rid of the warning light with the EGR disconnected or why just blanking the EGR causes the above issues in the first place?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Blanking the EGR shouldn't cause any problems, especially if it is blanked properly and wiped out of your ECU, if I were you I'd go back where you had your remap done in the first place and ask them why EGR light came on. It obviously has not been remapped out of ECU properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yea I think ill phone them tomorrow and see what they say. I was thinking that it has not been deleted correctly myself.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just a thought - the map doesn't 'delete' the valve as such, it just changes the parameters so that it doesn't open and adjusts the fuel accordingly. Even if this has been done, disconnecting the valve will put the emissions light on as the ECU can't sense the valve position when it's expecting it to be shut permanently. Sounds like it hasn't been mapped properly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Will blanking the egr increase fuel consumption.I need to do this on my 2.2 direct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Dobs View Post
    Will blanking the egr increase fuel consumption.I need to do this on my 2.2 direct.
    No, EGR is there to supposedly help clean exhaust gases it shouldn't affect consumption.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It depends on how your EGR has been "deleted". Most maps as I understand it allow you to blank the EGR without the emissions light, but some only allow you to unplug it.
    I'm not 100% sure how this is done, but I guess the ECU checks the electrical signal to the EGR AND checks air flow/pressure. Blanking the EGR prevents any exhaust gas from returning to the inlet manifold whereas even if it is unplugged, and therefore the EGR permanently closed, there is a small vent route for exhaust gas to pass through - hence why a complete blank may be detected through a pressure/flow check.
    So, try un-blanking the EGR and unplugging it. Of course you may not be happy with this if you expected to be able to blank it entirely and maybe should chat with the people who remapped it.

Finally, blanking the EGR can improve consumption - or at least many have claimed - as you are only taking in cool, clean air rather than warmer contaminated air. I'm sure if you searched the forum you would find people with both views though. Most importantly on the 150ps, it helps reduce gunk building up on the inside of the swirl flaps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

And just re-reading your original post mmccann, unplugging the EGR if already blanked shouldn't change anything (other than possibly an additional error code) - assuming the blanking plate is still intact. Have you checked your blanking plate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design+

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 101000

Was the name of the company who did it 3 letters beginning with M?

Thread Information