User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Which Would You Have In The Event Of A Flat / Damaged Tyre ?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Space Saver .

23 26.44%
  • Sealant Repair Kit Can .

4 4.60%
  • Full Size Spare .

68 78.16%
  • Break Down Cover = A.A / R.A.C. etc

11 12.64%
  • Tow Truck / Carrier

1 1.15%
  • Run Flat Tyres .

0 0%
  • A Flying Car = L.O.L.

4 4.60%
  • Other Option = Please state in a reply .

1 1.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S/Saver Vs Sealant Vs Full Size Vs Other

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default S/Saver Vs Sealant Vs Full Size Vs Other

What would you choose to have in your boot should you need to to fix a flat / damaged tyre ?

1) Space saver

2) Sealant temp repair kit

3) Full size spare

4) Other ( whatever it may be ,,,, A.A. / R.A.C. / Tow Truck etc ) ...
    Yes this would not fit in your boot , but a break down card in the glove box would ...... L.O.L.

5) Run Flat Tyres .

======================

Just been reading this on What Car . Com .

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/what...o-spare/227298

Q: Can you tell me why the Vauxhall Zafira is being sold without a spare wheel as standard?
    Surely this is against the law?
    Roger Riggott, via e-mail

A: Increasing numbers of cars are being sold without a spare wheel, thus saving space and weight in the car.

There is no legal requirement to carry a spare wheel - the law only says that if you do carry one, it must comply with the laws on tyre condition and tread-depth in order to pass an MoT test.

However, it is advisable to carry a spare wheel; it may also be a condition of your breakdown cover.

One solution is a space-saver tyre, which is narrower and lighter than a standard wheel.

Another is a can of sealant that temporarily inflates the wheel and seals the puncture - and that's the solution Vauxhall uses for the Zafira.

Both these systems are temporary fixes and are designed simply to get you home or to a tyre fitter.
    Last edited by HITFACTORY1403; 22nd January 2013 at 02:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HITFACTORY1403 View Post
    There is no legal requirement to carry a spare wheel - the law only says that if you do carry one, it must comply with the laws on tyre condition and tread-depth in order to pass an MoT test.
    Wrong advice given by whatcar. The spare isn't part of the MOT test as such It only applies to tyres fitted to the road wheels only. However the vehicle presenter should be informed when it is noticed that there is a defective tyre on a spare wheel.
    http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm
    If it was part of the MOT test, then any car with a space saver would fail as it's a different nominal size or aspect ratio to any of the other tyres.

Space saver wouldn't bother me if I only had a short journey to do, otherwise a full sized spare.

No way would I want just a can of goo.
    Last edited by Big Dave; 22nd January 2013 at 02:26.

North West - Assistant RO Woody's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C 3.2 Elite Estate Auto Facelifted

Trim : Elite with loads of "Extras"

Engine : 3.2 Z32SE

Year : 2004

Mileage : 94,000

Not having access to the spare wheel well (LPG Conversion) I would not feel happy travelling without a spare, and, the space saver offers me the least boot space intrusion.

Having said that, I also carry an aerosol puncture repair inflator because there are circumstances where I wouldn't feel too happy about changing a wheel (motorways - especially at night, dark country roads... you get the picture).

The last time I called the AA to report a puncture (18 months ago) at 1am on a busy country lane, they asked if I had a spare wheel, and at that time I only had an emergency inflator...... I was advised that I would be charged for the callout if I wished to proceed...... No thank you was my reply.

Really, if you can carry a "spare" then I would advise it and it doesn't "have" to be a full sized wheel replacement,after all, you are going to get the puncture/tyre dealt with, so what does it matter if you use a space saver in the meantime ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I must point out that What Car article is dated 2007 , but i guess most of the information still stands up .

=========================

Regarding the Puncture Repair Kit Can of Goo .

It's no good if you have ripped your tyre a big hole in it , i guess .

Also ......... If it is repairable .............. What garage will want to repair a wheel full of gunk ?

Because i guess it needs scooped out , incase you need to temp fix your tyre again in the future .

If you rip your tyre at a time when no tyre dealers are open , what do you do without a spare wheel and you don't have break down cover either .

Yeppp ...... Spare wheel ( Full or S / Saver ) for me ..... All the way .

But i forgot my Poll was multiple choice and only voted for Full Size .... Silly Me .
    Last edited by HITFACTORY1403; 22nd January 2013 at 02:37.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

Can of sealant is no use if you have a blow out. I have run on the space saver(on the rear) and was very surprised at how compliant it was. I think the days of full size spare tires are a thing of the past due to cost and weight savings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I would always prefer a full sized spare. however can see the practicalitites of a space saver. Cans of foam and compressors are a big NO for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi

Trim : XP1

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 66000

Space saver is perfectly fine for me, wouldn't like a snowie/tyre in the boot, and the can of foam stuff isn't practical for all eventualities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I've driven in snow in the Peak District on a space saver (admittedly on my old Subaru Legacy), and was also surprised at the way handling wasn't anywhere near as affected as I thought it might be. Yes, I was sticking to about 45mph (max speed on space saver is 50mph) which probably helped, but I certainly had no issues driving from Bakewell to Chesterfield where I got the punctured tyre replaced.

As I've got LPG, space saver in the boot is perfectly sufficient for me. Full sized would take up too much room. I carry a can of Tyre-Weld as well just in case I get two punctures

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2

Year : 2003

Space saver for me. Reduces the weight and I can live with driving slowly home. I wouldn't ever want runflats or a sealer kit or to have nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not for me , but some like the sealant repair kit ....

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/par...2011-08/slime/

New Tyre Sealant Fixes Punctures Without Destroying Tyres

Britain's appalling damaged roads mean there’s even more chance than ever of getting a flat tyre, and with dark, wet nights once again fast approaching the last thing you need is to be stuck at the side of a road waiting for breakdown assistance to arrive.
    One alternative to runflat tyres is some form of tyre sealant, either in the tyre permanently, or applied when you get a minor puncture (obviously. no sealant can fix a shredded tyre).
    The problem with many of these is they destroy the carcasse of the tyre so the puncture cannot be permanently repaired. The answer is a non flammable water based tyre sealent from ther USA called Slime.
    Used by the AA in its roadside repair vehicles, Slime’s range of tyre sealant products are quick and easy
    to use and provide total reassurance and convenience for regular road users, who rely on their car every
    day, as well as families and drivers who aren’t able to change a flat tyre themselves! All you have to do is
    follow the simple, on-pack instructions:

Quick Spair, RRP £9.99 (12oz) - £11.99 (16oz) - an emergency tyre repair product that seals the leak and temporarily re-inflates the tyre in one handy can. Plus, it’s the only non-flammable, water soluble tyre repair product on the market, so it’s safe to carry in your car and can be cleaned out of the tyre so that it can be professionally repaired, rather than replaced, if needs be:

1. Rotate puncture to 6 o’clock position
    2. Shake can (don’t remove puncturing object)
    3. Attach nozzle to valve
    4. Press Green Button
    5. Inflate until can is empty and rim is off the ground
    6. Drive slowly for 2-4 miles to distribute sealant, and away you go!

Slime Tyre Sealant, an environmentally friendly, non-toxic, non-hazardous, water-based sealant which
    contains shredded, re-cycled tyres and, in conjunction with a portable air compressor, can be used for
    semi-permanent repair of punctures up to 6mm. The sealant remains liquid in the tyre and is safe for use at normal driving speeds. It can also be cleaned out of the tyre so that it can be professionally repaired. What’s more, once you’ve re-inflated your tyre you can continue with your journey in confidence and get your tyre checked professionally at a more convenient time. RRP £8.99 (8oz) - £12.99 (16oz):

1. Position valve core 8-4 o’clock
    2. Remove puncture object (if possible)
    3. Slowly remove valve core
    4. Allow tyre to fully deflate
    5. Attach hose and install sealant
    6. Replace valve core
    7. Inflate tyre
    8. Drive. Stop. Verify seal and check pressure.

For a complete, semi-permanent repair solution in one pack you can also purchase a Slime Smart Spair Kit (RRP £29.99 (16oz)), an all-round emergency tyre repair kit, including a 16oz Slime tyre sealant and high-
    power air compressor. Christmas Gift tip: an ideal ‘peace of mind’ stocking filler for people who regularly take long journeys.

Available from independent retailers nationwide, you can find your nearest stockist by visiting www.slime.com
    to find out more about Slime products.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information