Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default O/S/F Fog Light Check

I'd say 90% of the time we start the car it instantly comes up saying the o/s/f fog light isn't working. First time it did this I thought fair do's. You could give it a kick& it would come back on so went along to Halfords & nearly fell over at the £5.49 price tag or something stupid like that for a new bulb. Walked out very smuggly after christening my trade card & paying only £1.49 + vat
    Anyway got home & replaced the bulb, switched on the front fogs & walked back round the front to admire my bulb replacement to find it was still not working Back round to the cab to check the dash & it was still showing as a fault so back round to the front to give it a kick (anyone'll think I've owned a Ford with all this kicking , I haven't honestly) to find the light is now working.

On keeping an eye on this like I said most of the time it will say the bulb's not working & you'll end up driving round with the indicator on the dash. If you turn the fog lights on, after a few seconds the bulb will light up & the indicator on the dash goes out & everything is fine. As I live out in the sticks I tend to drive round with front fogs on to keep the moisture at bay from the n/s fog then switch them of when I get into town & again the ndicator will remain off.

What I'm afraid of is someone will of heard of this problem & tell me it's the unit which runs the bulb check at fault .
    Hopefully you won't & it's a dodgy connection which one day I'll get round to looking at. I'm with the second option as I recall this started when the roads started to get wet & mucky & I haven't heard of the faulty bulb check.

Anyone.....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

have you had the inner wing mudsheild off and checked the gasket on the back of the plug on the foglight??..i wonder if it's got wet back in there??..what was the condition of the bulb holder??..with all that moisture in there is there any corrosion?

it's either that or it may be a broken wire??..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The lower spoilers off at the mo, yes busted again. I'll be giving the housings a once over when the bumpers off for refitting. Is there a cure for the n/s steaming up?
    Also gonna check & repel any moisture from the harness connector.
    Yeah a break in a wire somewhere was another thought, I hope it's easier than that or in the bumper loom

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the only cure is either the seals replaced or a new unit..so you could try sealing it with silicone??..The only other good news is that i beleive the fog light loom is seperate to the main loom..

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah the fog light loom comes up to a connector at the front cross member, one plug & the bumper comes away.
    Was gonna do the casings with silicone.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Right, following on from the above symptons the light now refuses to light & I'm driving round with the bulb out symbol in my dash all the time. Thought perhaps the bulb was iffy so replaced that with a new one but still dead.
    I'm gonna start looking into it this weekend now as in aving bumper off, getting my meter & track this problem down only I have no idea where the supply comes from.
    Does anyone know? I know you hear a clonk from behind the light switch area .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Right, plans above didn't quite go to plan as I've had flu over the last week but today I have succeeded.
    The problem was Vauxhalls great quality of all weather plugs. The connector for the bumper harness to the cars harness was full of **** & the weather had got at the pins giving me lots of green fury stuff. I soaked them in WD40 & started to have a poke with a little screwdriver when I noticed in one hole the screwdriver was disappearing inside.
    I gave the wire a tug from behind as they only seem to be secured into place by a rubber grommit around the neck of the pin and out came the remains, well infact there wasn't any remains of the pin. It had completely corroded away.
    I had a rummage around the masses of audio harnesses I have I used a mini ISO pin to replace with. I salvaged the litle rubber grommit & fitted that to the ISO pin. Then I cut the old wire back & with a short length of wire attached to the ISO pin I soldered the two together. Refitted it back into the plug & tested. GREAT it's working!!!

Right, whilst the bumpers off I had the n/s fog lamp out to dry the damp out with a hair dryer. That was all simple enough. Water actually drained out of the electrical connection socket when I first unplugged it and again when I removed the access cap so I'm guessing I could dry the mist on the glassjust by having the light on but would never get rid of the condensation whilst there was a puddle inside it.

Right, fog lamp reassembled, bumper fitted, go & give a final check.

Check Near Side Fog Lamp
    The screen says
    Had a wiggle of the plug & the light came on so this time I just pulled the loom up over the bumper & replaced the pin for the n/s fog light that way. Plugged it back in & it seems to all be fine once again. Not taken it for a drive yet but can't see there being a problem.
    It seems to only be the 12v positive pins in the plug which corrode as this is something I've noticed over the years. Must be some electrical corrosive reaction which occurs.

Anyway, hope this may one day be of use to someone else.
    Hopingly very much , case of the intimitent warning messages

Thread Information