Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Getting Insignia

ok, so my mum maybe moving down to close where i live (holyhead, anglesey), and has asked me if i do will i be the designated driver on a disability car. i currently own a vectra cdti 120 8v.

if she moves down and goes through ect ect, we i have decided on a insignia. specifically the cdti 160 sri nav with 4 wheel drive oh yeah. looking forward to that. ior if any one knows a different trim what would be better to get then please let me know .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

All depends on what you want mate. The trim you have gone for is more sportier and if i recall the 4x4 variant comes with Flexride. If you want all the toys, then you need to go for the Elite - which is what i have. I went from a sporty Vectra SRI 2.0T and to be honest i dont miss the performace at all. The thing i miss the most is the SRI leather seats in the Vectra.

Insignias are not like Vectra's when it comes to modding. Even things like bluetooth which is one of the easier things to install is a PITA. Only a couple of guys i know who can do a factory fit and it will take two visits to complete the task and get it working.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Go for as high a trim as you can afford, for the reasons stated above. I got my Elite and added as many optional extras as I could, and at the end there was very little left out. There's nothing massively sporty about the SRi, and Flexride takes care of the handling anyway if you put it into sport mode. Leather seats are standard, but mine are the sports leather so you get the best of both worlds. The more you can get fitted from the factory the better...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As a designated driver , i would check the disability / motorbility rules .

I have heard different things about these cars ..... maybe rumours , myths or maybe true .

e.g.

You are meant to only drive the car if the badge holder is actually in the vehicle .

Even if the car has a disabled badge , you can only park in the designated areas if they are in the car .

I would check up on the percentage of use YOU can have driving ,,,, WITHOUT the disabled person in the car .

I once was a named 2nd driver on a motorbility policy back in 1994 and had an accident ( without the disability person in car ) and all was fine , i just paid the £ 100 X. S. and the car was repaired .

Also ,,,,, i don't mean to be rude ,,,,,, but how demanding will your mother be ,,,,,,,, regarding taking her to appointments , shoppping etc etc ?

Will you be selling your soul for a brand new car ? L.O.L.

Most of us would do anything for our parents in need , but how much time would being the designated driver take up of your life and do you want be called at any time of day ?

I hope i havn't offended , by saying this .

Hopefully , you can drive the car as much as you want and you and your parent get on well

and hopefully you can buy the car in 4 / 5 years time for a knock down price .

P. S. = Do you still get 4 tyres every year free ? Do you pay for servicing ?

Best Wishes to you both .
    Last edited by HITFACTORY1403; 18th January 2013 at 13:45.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by HITFACTORY1403 View Post
    As a designated driver , i would check the disability / motorbility rules .

I have heard different things about these cars ..... maybe rumours , myths or maybe true .

e.g.

You are meant to only drive the car if the badge holder is actually in the vehicle .

Even if the car has a disabled badge , you can only park in the designated areas if they are in the car .

I would check up on the percentage of use YOU can have driving ,,,, WITHOUT the disabled person in the car .

I once was a named 2nd driver on a motorbility policy back in 1994 and had an accident ( without the disability person in car ) and all was fine , i just paid the £ 100 X. S. and the car was repaired .

Also ,,,,, i don't mean to be rude ,,,,,, but how demanding will your mother be ,,,,,,,, regarding taking her to appointments , shoppping etc etc ?

Will you be selling your soul for a brand new car ? L.O.L.

Most of us would do anything for our parents in need , but how much time would being the designated driver take up of your life and do you want be called at any time of day ?

I hope i havn't offended , by saying this .

Hopefully , you can drive the car as much as you want and you and your parent get on well

and hopefully you can buy the car in 4 / 5 years time for a knock down price .

P. S. = Do you still get 4 tyres every year free ? Do you pay for servicing ?

Best Wishes to you both .
    you can drive the car without them being in the car. me and my mum have a good relationship so she wont be too demanding. obviously i will run her where she needs to go, but she even has said she wont expect me to take her all the time. tires are replaced when it needs, the only thibng to pay for is fuel.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What are your other car options on your list ?

Vauxhall or not .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.8vvt

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.8xer

Year : 2008

Mileage : 20,000

Hello All,regarding the motabilty car use--the car will be in his mothers name and whoever drives the car will be designated on the insurance by motability.My wife has her car on motability and she pays for it--i only drive it for her as she has no driving licence.I do not use her car for my own use if she is not in it and i believe that unless the car is being used for the "owner" as it should be then there is the chance of it being taken off them.The car is to be used in accordance with the motabilty rules and like anything in this world if it is being abused they will change the rules and have done--like; you now need to live within a certain distance of the car--ie 5 miles from where the owner live's-you need permission to use the car from another address,this was changed because people were getting cars and giving them to relatives/friends to keep for them and they were using the cars for their own journeys etc. The lads mother needs to read up on the rules are contact motability for details about "the terms of use",as for servicing its done as part of the hire contract along with one set of tyres during the hire contract [3 years] all repairs are done as part of contract and at the end of the contract you may be able to purchase the car in question..All motabilty used cars go to auction and are regarded good buys as long as they have not been abused. As i say the OP needs to get further info before they commit themselves to any contract..Motability are a charity run company and they are very good in what they do.--Hope this helps----Dave

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by HITFACTORY1403 View Post
    What are your other car options on your list ?

Vauxhall or not .
    Hello,there is a vast list of cars on the scheme,some you pay no advance fee-others you have to pay an advance fee which can run into thousands,it all depends on what car you want.some people buy range rovers and the like. As i say it all depends on what you want.The wife has a new meriva--cracking little car with a 130hp diesel and it go's like the clappers!You can have a look on the motabilty car list and the prices on line----Cheers Dave

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

What are the types of car without an advance ? Hyundai / Kia , i bet ..... Some smart Kia's around at the moment .

What are the examples of advances on other cars ?

e.g. ........... Insignia , Mondeo , Astra or Focus ?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hello,as i say just have a look on the motability website..the list changes every 3 months i believe-it all depends on what prices the car makers want motability to pay.There is nearly all makes and models on the list and prices to suit.even has a suitability chart for each car--ie will it fit a folded-unfolded -size of doors and opening widths etc.The motability scheme is very good but as i say it has and will be abused by people.The other thing is if at the end of your contract the car is in good condition you are given £250 back as a bonus.Have a look and see whats on offer-----Dave
    Last edited by dave1419; 18th January 2013 at 19:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information