0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Exhaust cutout for 2.8t

I've got an Elite 2.8t, and am afflicted by the "engine sounds awesome but too quiet" bug. This bug is generally only overcome by giving it beans at every opportunity, which leads to smoking tyres and miniscule MPG numbers.

I don't want to chop it for a VXR, I like the wafty nature of the car, but would like to get some more V6 rumble on demand.

So, I am contemplating getting an electric cutout for the exhaust. I've not had a chance to get under the car yet so am looking for a heads-up on what will greet me when I do! Can anyone answer the following questions please?
    1) In the exhaust, where is the cat (or cats)?
    2) Are there any sensors after the cat(s)?
    3) What diameter is the single pipe before the split to the silencers?

For those unfamiliar, a cutout is an old way of running an engine on "open headers". My grandad had one back in the 1950s on his Rover P4 - basically a y-shaped piece of pipe in the exhaust with a blanking plate on one arm that can be removed so the exhaust exits before the silencers strangle it. Nowadays, they are available with an electric butterfly valve operated from the drivers' seat, which is the sort I'd go for. An MOT-friendly racepipe system that can be switched off for stealth mode or long motorway journeys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically what I'm after is knowing where the sensors are in the 2.8t exhaust system. As I want to insert the cutout after any sensors to avoid issues with warning lights or fuelling due to incorrect readings.

Presumably it's the same as the VXR, I'll try a few other sites and see if I can find info there. I've noticed there doesn't seem to be a lot on 2.8t engines here - is this because they're difficult to work on, or is it that most people who buy 2.8t's just don't DIY cars? I've not had a chance to get mine up on ramps yet so not had the pleasure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, done a bit more research. Assuming it's the same as the VXR, I need a 2.5" cut-out and can fit it shortly after the downpipe... Looking at pictures of VXR exhausts the cats (and sensors) appear to be all at the front and there's a straight pipe I could cut into.
    Roll on the warm weather and I can get cracking!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to do this with my 2.8 before I sold it, so look forward to your results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you talking about this type of thing?

http://www.xforce.com.au/about-varex...ts-muffler.php

if so, ive seen it fitted to an Insignia on you tube (cant find the video) but i know i want it for mine! Ive emailed xforce as they advertise universal kits ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by donkmeister View Post
    Right, done a bit more research. Assuming it's the same as the VXR, I need a 2.5" cut-out and can fit it shortly after the downpipe... Looking at pictures of VXR exhausts the cats (and sensors) appear to be all at the front and there's a straight pipe I could cut into.
    Roll on the warm weather and I can get cracking!
    Donkmeister - what's the score with this upgrade? Are you fabricating from scratch or have you found a kit? Ive been searching and there seems to be a limited amount of availability for anything other than super cars or big american V8s.

I know i shouldn't as its the same as reading up on aches and pains when you have a cold and deciding you have a terminal disease, but I've read that this sort of thing on a turbo charged car can cause issues with back pressure and boost creep and all sorts of terrible sounding things.

i want some naughty noises on the odd occasion but not at the expense of reliability or the health of the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbdp View Post
    Are you talking about this type of thing?

http://www.xforce.com.au/about-varex...ts-muffler.php

if so, ive seen it fitted to an Insignia on you tube (cant find the video) but i know i want it for mine! Ive emailed xforce as they advertise universal kits ;-)
    Same basic principle, but much more simple. You may have seen them in a more exposed position on hot-rods, this photo is about the best explanation of the traditional exhaust cutout:
    Cutout4.JPG
    It's essentially a t-junction in the exhaust, pre-silencer. On the traditional sort, the idea was that you drive to the track with a blanking plate bolted over the open hole, and remove it when you get there. Having an electric butterfly means you can switch the exhaust from stealth to raucous at will - Not a new innovation, I'm sure there was an American musclecar that could be specced with one in the 60s/70s - but they are easier to get hold of now (just search for "exhaust cutout" on ebay).

I'm no automotive engineer, but wouldn't a turbo prefer less back-pressure? Or is the risk that it runs TOO well and I'll need to start thinking about dump-valves? Love the idea of more turbo-whine but I think the "whizz-psssssshhhhhh" dump-valve noise is a bit out of character for the car!

I'm getting under the car in March for an annual service, will suss-out if a cutout is within my capabilities then. Will be certain to do a write-up if I do go ahead with it!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by donkmeister View Post
    Same basic principle, but much more simple. You may have seen them in a more exposed position on hot-rods, this photo is about the best explanation of the traditional exhaust cutout:
    Cutout4.JPG
    It's essentially a t-junction in the exhaust, pre-silencer. On the traditional sort, the idea was that you drive to the track with a blanking plate bolted over the open hole, and remove it when you get there. Having an electric butterfly means you can switch the exhaust from stealth to raucous at will - Not a new innovation, I'm sure there was an American musclecar that could be specced with one in the 60s/70s - but they are easier to get hold of now (just search for "exhaust cutout" on ebay).

I'm no automotive engineer, but wouldn't a turbo prefer less back-pressure? Or is the risk that it runs TOO well and I'll need to start thinking about dump-valves? Love the idea of more turbo-whine but I think the "whizz-psssssshhhhhh" dump-valve noise is a bit out of character for the car!

I'm getting under the car in March for an annual service, will suss-out if a cutout is within my capabilities then. Will be certain to do a write-up if I do go ahead with it!!!
    After reading up on the subject it seems that once you get past the mouth of the down pipe and past where the waste gate dumps the more open the exhaust is the better so i guess you're right

Would be very interested to know how you get on and more importantly what she sounds like afterwards! I'll look forward to the right up!

Thread Information