Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Brakes screeching on stop/start

Hi all,

Here I am with another problem of mine...

Recently got all new genuine Vx discs and pads fitted to my Vectra 2.2 automatic. The brakes seems to be working all fine (under soft and hard braking).

But the problem is that I get a screeching noise each time the car comes to a complete stop and then when starts moving again. The noise only comes very briefly just at the point the car is going to come to a complete stop and then again for a second as soon as you take your foot off the brake and car starts moving a bit.

Note that the car is automatic so the brakes always has some resistance against the wheels as they will always like to move forward when in "Drive".

Had the same problem before the discs/pads were changed so replacing them hasn't caused this. Is this a feature of the brakes with automatic cars or there is something wrong here?

Any suggestions welcome as the noise is rather annoying each time you start/stop.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Possible causes i know of

1. The shield behind is touching the disc (done this myself). Its quite easy to move the sheid accidently. I used a long screwdrivver and prised it away from the disc a little to fix mine.

2. the pads are vibrating in the caliper. This shouldnt happen if genuine vx parts were used as i believe they come with a rubber backing to prevent this (mine did). The old "copper grease the contact points on the pad" trick used to be the prefered solution.

3. under hard braking you can cause like a shine on the pad. I believe its from extreme heat generated and more common with new pads, which i think melts a fine layer of the pad for a second, causing it to be really smooth. Some people take them off and run them against some really course sand paper or wire brush them. Although i think you can clear them off just by braking heavy a few times (i think its heavy and not excessive soft braking, but im not 100%). If it's this (which ive never experienced or personally know someone who has), just confirm with someone that knows how to hold a spanner on the way to fix it as i may be incorrect.

4. dirt... a bit of grit or dirt stuck on the braking surface can also cause it. possibly a pressure washer round the area might clear it but once again, im not 100% on the best method to clear out any crap.

Edit: jumped the gun and missed some vital points of your post. if it happened before and after and new discs and pads were used then ignore the 3rd and 4th point i think, and possibly the 2nd too.

Just check the shield and if its not that it will probably be something elsewhere further back, i could throw random suggestions but i'd probably be wrong and just cause alarm for no reason.
    Last edited by djlee; 9th January 2013 at 19:34.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the response mate.

1) It's not the shield as I have checked that and its not constantly making noise on the move.
    2) Yes parts are genuine vx and also copper greased so should be fine
    3) & 4) It maybe one of these but not sure how to check

Very strange that the noise only seems to be coming from the front wheels and each time you come to a complete stop and then when start moving again. It's best described as one of those bus type high pitched screeching noise when stopping.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Got a similar issue to this well it was the same until Tuesday when I noticed that there is now a squeak when rolling (got stuck in traffic on the m1) but its as if the disc is warped mine too have been changed recently and is an auto, I did ask the technician who MOT'd the car to have a look but he put it down to new disc's and pad's.

Im starting to think I do have a warped disc, or the wheel bearing has gone?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Any other suggestion guys as I fail to believe that this behaviour is normal for vectra auto brakes!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Exclusiv

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2007

ive come across this problem many a time after replacing peoples brakes even after thorough cleaning/prepping of the pads and discs, take your pads out and file a chamfer on the leading and trailing edges, this i find usually solves it!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

VMB's idea might work, my only concern is that its happened on old pads and discs as well as new ones, which whilst that doesn't mean it MUST be something other than a pad or disc, it sort of reduces the likelihood. but it won't affect braking performance and sometimes its a case of doing everything you can until something happens to work, otherwise that thing you miss just ends up sitting there in the back of your mind as a probability.

You say you used genuine vx pads and copper greased? Assumingly your pads didn't come with the rubber backing i mentioned (i assumed they all did but hey-ho im no expert)? If not are you sure you greased everywhere you need to? anything that's metal to metal so under the ears of the pad backing plate that rest on the calliper bracket, as well as top corners where it meets the calliper itself and where the piston contacts the back pad? Of course not saying you don't know where to put it, just checking for the sake of fully writing that possibility off the cards.

Only other thing around the wheel area i can think off that it might be is if the same anti-rattle clips were used ( think that's what its called, the spring thing! ). Don't ask me exactly how to check them but ive heard they could cause an issue. i believe they make contact with the calliper (sorry, not a mechanic, not really that good with cars, and cant remember exactly where the spring sat when i did mine a while back). If they do, and there not greased, then any vibration on the pad whose noise is being killed by the grease, might be transferred to the spring instead.

and that's all the clutching at straws i can think off.

My mechanical knowledge is pretty crude but the only other parts that spin in time with the wheels i'm aware of are the hub and driveshaft. So unless a bearing or something is a bit weird there, then i haven't a clue. (please don't worry about either of those though, i really just put it here out of interest for myself so someone else can confirm its possible or tell me i'm a lemon and its impossible for these bits to squeek).

P.S: you could change to ceramic brakes which have a different resonance frequency... although a bit extreme? :P

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

now tha djlee has jogged my memory, on my wifes astra there was a squeek from the front wheels, turned out spraying some wd49 on the end of the cv boot cured it!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks for the reply guys...

djlee - I did not fitted the disc and pads kit myself and got it done from a garage (I am a total novice on this). But I did asked the garage to put the copper grease, etc and saw that they did it. Not sure about the anti-rattle clips if they were changed as they were not part of the GM kit I believe. It should not be anything other than brakes as the noise is only there on braking when coming to a complete stop and then starting again. There is no noise while in motion otherwise.

vmb - interesting suggestion of filing.. but i'll have to go back to the garage who I am sure won't believe what i am saying!

Reading on other threads i saw people mentioning such noise is common due to surface rust when the car sits for long durations. Mine mostly sits all night, used once in the morning to travel to work and then sits all day at car park and again used once in the evening. Is this something I'll have to live with then??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

my wifes astra only made te noise on slowing down and setting off, jack th car up, remove the wheel and give it a good turn, should be able to locate the noise!

Thread Information