Thread: Another spring thread...sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Another spring thread...sorry

Hi all, apologies for yet another spring thread. I guess i just wanted some tailored advice from the pro's rather than risking doing (or moreso, buying) something i shouldn't.

So basically i have a snapped spring on the drivers side which is causing my knocking when going over bumps and holes. I went out this morning to check inner tie rods and happened to re-check the springs again and i felt (what i can best describe as) as a sharp step in the spring towards the bottom (last few inches of spring i think). Assumingly this means its snapped and needs replacing,

I know i have to replace in pairs but my question is, which springs should i buy. I'll be having the work done at a garage, as i dont have a spring compressor, i don't really know what im doing and i just want it sorting out now its been there so long.

I've heard so many names and part numbers batted around that im a little lost. I'm not specifically after anything high performance, however if its relatively cheap to get "better than stock" springs i dont mind spending an extra few quid if its worth it (such as the uprated links and powerflex bushes ive done).

I'm also not really looking for anything that will lower the car. If that happens to be a safe by-product (i.e. i dont have to have to shell out extra in new parts i dont really need), then i dont mind lowering it a little, but i'm really just looking at getting the spring replaced.

So what springs should i be getting, or do i just go to vx and get stock ones for my needs?

Car details: Vectra 1.9 CDTi (120) '07

P.S: apologies for the rambling post, i think the opportunity to scive work got the better of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.9CDTi (120) Estate

Trim : Design

Year : 55

Mileage : 126000

I've bought non-vx springs from Autoparts before at about £40-45 and had them fitted in a Hi-Q, which they did in a few mins.
    They were perfectly fine and lasted as long as vx springs.

I just gave them the model/year/engine size and they gave me the correct ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi Dual Fuel NAV

Trim : PreFace SRi

Engine : 1.8 LPG

Year : 53

I would consider changing your shock absorbers too. With the spring being snapped it might have knackered your shocks too. If your shocks are ok then personally I would go for original vx springs. But most members on here have lost faith in vx springs obviously coz they snap, so they opt for stronger stiffer lowering springs. If you can get the vx part numbers I'm sure you might be able to source them from elsewhere for cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 turbo

Year : 61

Mileage : 38000

if you just want standard springs then how about this set

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-V...item4165fb2408

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i bounced the car best i could (drivers side doesn't seem to go down as far as the passenger, but im guessing that's due to the spring being snapped), and i didn't notice any excessive bouncing which leads me to believe the shocks are ok.

I was looking at these just a minute ago http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Va...3627504&000073 since i've heard of the brand and i can pick them up and just take em to a garage for fitting.

Thanks for the link happypostie (i was writing this reply as you posted so i thought i'd continue my original reply before responding to your message). Assuming they are just the same quality or better than VX so that's an option, i might get on ebay and see if i can find something local.

My only concern is that at the moment im planning on a drive down to southampton (from west mids) this friday evening, which i'd rather not have to cancel, and i've read some horror stories and people shouting abuse at other who even think about driving whilst the springs are broke.

Admittedly ive been running on that broken spring for months, but now i know its broken, and ive read the whole "you will die if you drive with them broken" threads from google, if i cant find any closer to me on ebay, i may just have to pay the extra at ECP and have done with it.

But i shall ebay away and see what i can find within sensible distance, now im not looking for any particular known brands (assumingly aapholdem isn't a particularly significant brand anyway :P )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ok so i looked at ebay, haven't found anything but one supplier within 25 miles.

I figure if im looking at ebay for the sake of cheapness, then i'd see if ECP have anything cheaper and they have these http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Va...3627504&000073 which are pretty much the same price as the supplier i found on ebay (within pickup distance). Can anyone see a problem with using those springs? Assumingly unless you go for performance/lowered stuff then "a spring is a spring".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.9CDTi (120) Estate

Trim : Design

Year : 55

Mileage : 126000

Indeed a spring is a spring, unless it's a coilover

I wouldn't have a problem fitting those to mine and I do 1000's of miles with work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have the Eurocar parts springs on the wifes car, nothing wrong with them at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 turbo

Year : 61

Mileage : 38000

Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post
    Ok so i looked at ebay, haven't found anything but one supplier within 25 miles.

I figure if im looking at ebay for the sake of cheapness, then i'd see if ECP have anything cheaper and they have these http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Va...3627504&000073 which are pretty much the same price as the supplier i found on ebay (within pickup distance). Can anyone see a problem with using those springs? Assumingly unless you go for performance/lowered stuff then "a spring is a spring".

right im back now nothing wrong with them springs from what i can see . if you want them i take it your replacing both , now the good bit , add 2 to the basket and click checkout ,in the promo code box type in all20 . and the price comes down to 34.46 for both .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ooo cheers mate!

I was going to go to the store but i'll just get the next day delivery for £4 so i can use the online promo code (need em here so i can get someone to change them before friday eve.!)

Thanks again everyone. Get em on order and see who has time to book them in.

Just as a gauge (so im not ripped off) how long should it take to replace these? and how much does your average garage cost. I usually work out labour based on a set £50/ph but god knows if thats anywhere near accurate for the non-vx, non-franchise garages.

EDIT: didn't know they did click and collect. bonus! just over 8 quid saved all but a few squirts of diesel. Reserved with 20% discount. Just got to find time today to pop up and get 'em
    Last edited by djlee; 8th January 2013 at 14:41.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information