User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Replacing 2.2 DTi what do you reccomend??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Replacing 2.2 DTi what do you reccomend??

I have had a 2.2 DTi elite for last ten years. 240K miles, only had to replace crankshaft pulley and tyres. same clutch, battery and exhaust system, car has been great. Can you get more reliable?? Time has unfortunately come to replace her, mainly as i need an estate, and might get a few quid for her with 10 months MOT! Thing is, I am not sure to go for the 120 or 150 HP 1.9 CDTi. I had an astravan with the 120 HP engine and it seemed well powerful enough for me, i am not a speedfreak, economy is my MAIN objective. Is it worth the extra insurance and TAX for the 150 models i ask myself. The later 120 common rail engine will be better than the 2.2 DTi?? Anyone any experience of the transition, how do the 3 compare fuel wise?? I tow a caravan and am well happy with the 2.2 performance, ok its not the last line in power but its well enough for my 2 berth van, would the 120 hp engine be that much different in a Vectra body that an Astra's?? OK its heavier but plenty of torque, i don't need 0-60 performance. on top of this the 150 seems to have more problems. Any thoughts???? I am not convinced the Astravan MPG was better than the 2.2 DTi but that might have been the gearing bearing in mind it was a van??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Tax & insurance doesn't differ between the 8v or 16v, if it's reliability & economy you want you're best bet will be go Vw or Jap lol... the 16v vectra will be better for towing & they both have their faults... i went from a 2.2dti to a 2.0dti & then to a 16v cdti... no regrets in 80k miles although i did bond the swirls open fit a new dmf & unplug the egr... only reason i don't have it now is the need tow the Oss box in & out of a field lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the tax and insurance must differ surely??? With 240K miles and no problems i cant see your drift with reliability mate. my brother in law got a toyota and the clutch packed in after 10000 miles, personally i wouldnt be seen dead in a jap car but there you go! What about the fuel consumption anyway???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.9CDTi (120) Estate

Trim : Design

Year : 55

Mileage : 126000

I went from the 2.2Dti on an 03 to the 1.9CDTi on a 55 and the 1.9 was 35 quid cheaper than the 2.2 on insurance and a tenner cheaper on tax

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

I've been running a 1.9 cdti (120) Design estate for the past couple of years and it's a great little car - it will cruise all day long at 70 - which let's face it is all you can do these days with all the speed cameras, unmarked police cars. etc and will easily return 50 +mpg at that speed, and knocking around town gives me around 40 - which I am happy with for a car of that size. I have never driven the 150 and I would think that the extra hp would be useful for towing. Like you I don't go racing around and the 120 gives everything I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers for that, i usually stick to 60-65 these days, the 2.2 DTi gives about 50 ish maybe a bit more to the gallon so hopefully the 1.9 120HP will giive more, it should do technically and will definitely be smoother. Like you I need an estate as well, I'm sure it will be ok for towing a 2 berth, the DTi is fine. Good point tax wise as well, but the 150 would surely be more and just seems more prone to problems to me!

Thread Information