User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: How to get another key??

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default How to get another key??

    I only got one key with my Vectra. So makes sense to get another one in case I lose it. How expensive is it likely to be? Do I have to go to Vauxhalls...can't imagine one of those shops that mends shoes & cuts keys would be able to help.

    I've got the card that comes with the car giving it's unique numbers.

    Any advise gratefully received

  2. #2
    Regular Member m8internet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Where did you obtain the car from?
    If you purchased this under Network Q, then you can refer to the checklist (which you should have received) and confirms that all keys were present, and then have the second key ordered for free

    If you do go to a VX dealership, then you need to take the PassCard, V5 and photo ID (such as Driving Licence)
    The second key takes about a week to arrive, and about an hour to program
    Total cost is about £120, so it is best to phone two or three dealerships for quotes

    One of my keys failed, but Network Q refused to replace it as the lock function was still working, even though the remote fuction had failed
    I was quite glad of this, as this meant I now have one new style key

    On my previous Vectra B, it was delivered with one key
    I had it entered into the acceptance contract that if the original second key could not be found within 4 weeks the entire lock system would be replaced
    I was then advised by the dealership they had contacted the previous owner and they could not find the second key
    Network Q paid for all new locks and keys, plus a hire car for three days while they completed this

  3. #3
    Full Member Woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North West (Warrington)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra C 3.2 Gsi Auto (Zavoli LPG with Flashlube)

    Trim : Gsi with loads of "Extras"

    Engine : 3.2 Z32SE (LPG)

    Year : 2004

    Mileage : 131,000

    Default

    If you want a new key (flip type) then you can order them new on ebay, around £50 BUT make sure it is brand new ! Get a blade "cut to code" (again from ebay) around £9.95. Insert it into the fob, so far your cost is £60. Last thing needed is to code/program it to your car, either an auto locksmiths for around £20, or, buy your own programmer, again, a similar cost, around £20 from ebay.

    Total cost (because you already have your car pass) around £80.

    A lot cheaper than using the Vx option.

    Programming, yeah well Vx dealerships will charge you as if it takes them an hour (they don't seem to have a "3 minute rate" LOL), but it literally takes less than 3 minutes.

    Cheers

    Woody

  4. #4
    Regular Member m8internet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodpeck View Post
    yeah well Vx dealerships will charge you as if it takes them an hour
    It is VX policy to charge a minimum of 1 hour, no matter what work is to be carried out
    This then covers all the fixed costs (property, lights, heating, equipment, ramp time, etc)
    Therefore, if the job takes less than 1 hour it can seem expensive

    A few years ago the minimum was 0.5 hours

    As a result even something simple as fitting a new mirror glass can easily appear expensive now
    A few weeks ago I noted an invoice for fitting a bulb, and yes the labour was 1.0 hours
    Sufficed to say I went ballastic, with the driver not the dealership!

  5. #5
    Full Member Woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North West (Warrington)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra C 3.2 Gsi Auto (Zavoli LPG with Flashlube)

    Trim : Gsi with loads of "Extras"

    Engine : 3.2 Z32SE (LPG)

    Year : 2004

    Mileage : 131,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    It is VX policy to charge a minimum of 1 hour, no matter what work is to be carried out
    This then covers all the fixed costs (property, lights, heating, equipment, ramp time, etc)
    Therefore, if the job takes less than 1 hour it can seem expensive

    A few years ago the minimum was 0.5 hours

    As a result even something simple as fitting a new mirror glass can easily appear expensive now
    A few weeks ago I noted an invoice for fitting a bulb, and yes the labour was 1.0 hours
    Sufficed to say I went ballastic, with the driver not the dealership!
    My point EXACTLY - Do It Yourself

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m8internet View Post
    Where did you obtain the car from?
    If you purchased this under Network Q, then you can refer to the checklist (which you should have received) and confirms that all keys were present, and then have the second key ordered for free

    If you do go to a VX dealership, then you need to take the PassCard, V5 and photo ID (such as Driving Licence)
    The second key takes about a week to arrive, and about an hour to program
    Total cost is about £120, so it is best to phone two or three dealerships for quotes

    One of my keys failed, but Network Q refused to replace it as the lock function was still working, even though the remote fuction had failed
    I was quite glad of this, as this meant I now have one new style key

    On my previous Vectra B, it was delivered with one key
    I had it entered into the acceptance contract that if the original second key could not be found within 4 weeks the entire lock system would be replaced
    I was then advised by the dealership they had contacted the previous owner and they could not find the second key
    Network Q paid for all new locks and keys, plus a hire car for three days while they completed this
    I bought it privately.
    I see you can get lost key insurance for about £20. As I only want a key in case I lose my key, the insurance seems better value than buying another key. If I take out insurance, the insurance co will sort out another key. Seems a no brainer just to insure myself against loosing the key rather than buy another one for £120. Or am I missing something?

  7. #7
    Full Member Woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North West (Warrington)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

    Vehicle : Vectra C 3.2 Gsi Auto (Zavoli LPG with Flashlube)

    Trim : Gsi with loads of "Extras"

    Engine : 3.2 Z32SE (LPG)

    Year : 2004

    Mileage : 131,000

    Default

    No comment m8 ! What you are discussing is pretty much fraud.

  8. #8
    Regular Member m8internet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cumbernauld, Scotland
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hairymark View Post
    I see you can get lost key insurance for about £20
    Most such policies have a 30 days no claim limit
    Check the policy to see what type of key the replacement is, it may simply be a pattern key (to operate the lock only), as most policies assume you have two keys and the second key would then become your main key
    Equally, check to see if such a claim affects your No Claims Bonus, or whether your household Contents Insurance policy covers this

    For example, my laptop is covered on my household Contents Insurance, when in the car, rather than on the Car policy

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woodpeck View Post
    No comment m8 ! What you are discussing is pretty much fraud.
    You've taken what I said wrong. I mean take out insurance and claim IF I lose the key. That's surely what it's for. I didn't mean take out the policy and claim to get a second key. Yes that would be fraudulent

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats





    Default

    Can the insignia key be programmed to the Vectra?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Nobody landed on this page from a search engine, yet!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •