Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 1.9 cdti knocking cold start

Hello,
    First post here...
    been searching previous threads to see if I can find any info but no luck...

I recently purchased a Vectra 1.9 cdti, 2008 with 90k on the clocks.. and had the DMF replaced under warranty from the garage, had a few issues with things not clipped back in when I got it back but not the end of the world. Have also had the cambelt and water pump replaced by the local vauxhall garage as they had a deal on at the time.

Now, since getting teh car back from all of the above, it has been making a knocking noise for a few seconds on start up from cold... having previously owned a Rover 420 sldi, I am use to teh tractor sounds of a diesel engine.. but this is a rather pronounced knocking noise which after about 10 secons or so dies off to normal cold running noises.
    I am at a loss as to what this could be, it appears to be from the cambelt side of the engine, possibly to the front but am not certain of exact location, as by the time I start car and get out etc theres not long of the noise left to locate it!

Usual suspects would be water pump.. but this has already been changed, unless the Vx gaage has pulled a fast one?

Has anyone else experienced this noise? Looking from past car service history, injectors have been replaced previously as well.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c

Trim : ls

Engine : 1800 non vvt

Year : 2004

Mileage : 167340

is the swirl bar off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers,
    swirl flaps look to be in working order, already checked those.. The bar is still attached to them all, and looks to be moving ok.. Though may clean the surrounds to make sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

means the cars done 90000 miles maybe worth a look at

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Right, had a quick look at a few things today while cleaning the egr, and putting a semi blanking plate on... squirted some wd40 to losen some gunge around the swirl flaps, but they all move ok as they should.
    The knocking sound is coming from the belt side of the engine, but I can't pinpoint where to be exact... (I am half deaf before anyone starts!) now reading through some of the cars previous service history (limited stuff given) it supposedly had 4 new injectors installed at 80,000 miles... all new my arse, 3 of them have enough rust on to be definate original injectors, bolts have rust on them to show they have never been touched.. the one on the left side however is new and shiny compared to the other 3.. is it possible this could also be a source of the noise? as its from that side of the engine. having read up that new injectors need setting in the ecu.. what makes me think this more is that I also squirted some EGR 3 through, to give a little clean through and got some diesel knock if squirting too much... it is very much almost the same sound as on start up.
    Car is also viby between tick over and 1500 rpm, new egr blanking whatsits didn't change this.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : sri nav/Elite

Engine : CDTI 150

Year : 56

Mileage : 130ish

when was the timing belt and water pump done? the injectors would have been reconditioned as their mega money for new ones. if the injector was replaced or moved it does need tech2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Nissan GT-R R35 Vectra XP2 CDTI

Trim : Nissan GT-R R35

Engine : 3.8 twin turbo 700hp

Year : 2010

id get it back to the vx garage who did the cam belt fella as it sounds like theyve c0cked something up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 330D (13) Tourer 258 Auto & Signum 1.9 CDTI (07) 150 Auto

Trim : M Sport and Design

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : 2007

Mileage : 38100

I have the same sort of issues, mine has a slight misfire and vibration at idle if the cars started from cold, especially if its quite cold outside... but the misfire sorts its self out after maybe 30 seconds or so, that seems to be something to do with the alternator taking a while to initially charge the battery. The knock, diesels just do it as I've been told... maybe you could try recording it and uploading the sound to Youtube, then let the guys on here who who the right and wrong sounds of the CDTI... of which I'm interested to compare to mine LOL.

My wifes 120 is the same as yours at the moment, cleaned the EGR etc, but it has an obvious vibration at the rev range you've mentioned, I was putting it down to either a duff injector or a split in a pipe somewhere... mine makes quite a lot of racket at around 2k, like a blow in the exhaust, so I'm thinking, its any of the previous, or a hole in the inter-cooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information