Thread: rear brake retainig spring

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default rear brake retainig spring

hi guys not had my veccy long got the thermostat and waterpump and timing belt done. Still getting a p0036 now and then but not really to concerned about that atm going to change the o2 sensor then the maff if i get no joy when i clean the plug. I better get back to the point before I rant along all day.

I heard a nasty noise at the back of the car to i took the wheel off to check the pads was nothing on them at all. The calliper was a nighmare to wind in was rock solid had to get a shifting spanner on the redwind too to budge the nasty git.

Now Ive only done one side want some advise on the retaining spring looks like no ones ever touched the back brakes at all. The springs are rusted in one end snapped off ( sitting flush with the calliper) and the other side isint snapped off yet incase tehre is a better way to loosen it. Its the same on the other sides calliper with the spring.

I have ordered new springs the question is will a little heat loosen this up (wd40 didnt help more a rust weld rather than rust) . If not is it safe to drill the rust welded bit of spring out that still in there. I dont know how far the brake fluid travels along in there last thing i need is to pop a leak. The thing is i dont know if the hole is straight through or at an angle cause they are all rusted in any advice would be appreciated. I suppose if i mess it up can go to the scrappy and whack one off really want to avoid damaging it though.
    Last edited by grant2258; 17th December 2012 at 19:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by grant2258 View Post
    I suppose if i mess it up can go to the scrappy and whack one off really want to avoid damaging it though.
    You might be better off doing that to start with. Then work on the busted one off the car...

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

can drill it where it is no problem just hoping someone has a top tip for this already forked out for a timimg belt, water pump and 2 new tyres. maybe some put an elastic band round it . It will probably drill no problems just hoping on that top tip to avoid that. Seems a shame having to get a new calliper for the lil spring that goes over the cover but if it comes to that ill have to aaarg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VVT-i-MATT View Post
    You might be better off doing that to start with. Then work on the busted one off the car...

Matt
    I drilled the holes no problem that calliper is ok now the drives side was a real pain in the ass took it off slider pin bushes where practically welded on with corrosion and one bush was ripped worst of all the piston seal was ripped. I just popped up the scrappy cause the thing wouldnt even turn with the rewinding tool. Have a nice wee calliper here was only 25 quid and looks like it was recently painted.

The handbrake cable grommit looks like its welded in though. I take it you just lube it with wd40 and pull it out then put the grommit goes in the the other calliper or do you need a new grommit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

any tips on getting this grommit to budge will try mole grips tomorrow the one on the calliper from scrappy is the same will try some boiling water on it first. why cant anything be easy lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ok a top tip for anyone removing the handbrake cable from the calliper dont twist it mines snapped off just pull it off. Anway lesson learnt the hard way again. Ive ordered a new habbrake cable and new caliper dust boots from vauxhall will sort this out when the parts come in should be friday. I was messing about with the boot looking how to get it on the top of the new lynx cans is a perfect size to press the new spring in incase anyone is needing to do it.

Thread Information