User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HID Conversion Kits - The Cheap Con Jobs vs The Real McCoys :)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C 3.2 Gsi Auto (Zavoli LPG with Flashlube)

Trim : Gsi with loads of "Extras"

Engine : 3.2 Z32SE (LPG)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 131,000

Default HID Conversion Kits - The Cheap Con Jobs vs The Real McCoys :)

Ok, well this is a difficult “how to” before we even start.I ask that you fully read and try to understand the points I am making beforeposting your replies.

I'm talking about a professional quality issue so please give it a little thought if you are interested.
    Ok, HID Conversion kits !

It seems that the majority, if not all, of these kits are produced to supply a demand from drivers without HID’s, and from drivers who are more concerned with modifying their lights and without too much thought being given as to how long their modification will work, both properly, and safely.

The consequence of this is that there are lots of so called conversion kits available on the market but the one I saw and experienced was probably typical, and was IMO absolutely a cheap and badly constructed solution !

As far as converting a 12v feed to supply a lamp designed to run with HID features, it was brilliant (no pun intended), but from a design point of view, the whole idea of being able to lock a “bulb” into a bulb housing designed to take a “steel” bulb plateof a couple of mm or less thickness with a replacement bulb with a plastic base approximately twice the thickness is a major flaw, even a major “con”.

Such a fitment might align correctly, but if it doesn’t properly “lock” into place, and is only a friction fit, then the driver is going to face problems afterwards.

AND they do not lock into place, because the base is too thick for the original locking design!

Are all of these HID Conversion kits the same ? Do they all expect you to squash a much thicker base into a socket designed for a much thinner mounting plate ?

I expect it is because of what the bulb design is attempting to achieve, ie a successful bulb mount which is running at a couple of thousand times the original voltage (excuse poetic licence), hence from an isolation/insulation point of view, the thickness of a plastic mount rather than a metal base.

I cannot believe that the HID Conversion suppliers are all acting so irresponsibly, surely some have recognised that unless thebulb is locked securely into the holder, then it is likely to jump out or vibrate loose, and become in- effective ? Are ALL of the kits the same ? Or, do some of them acknowledge the need to lock the revised thickness plate in place and provide clamps, fittings even cable ties to achieve this ?

So, you guys buying these kits, we need your help. If you are going to say that the kit you purchased for £9.99 is the “dog’s danglies” you need to understand that a friction fit which is the type I worked on last weekend is no solution, in fact, it is likely to be the source of ongoing problems.

Tell us about those kits that provide a proper or modified way of actually locking the bulbs in place in the headlamp mount. “We” are not really interested in the kits that rely on you bodging your headlamp to fit thenew bulbs, BUT we want you to tell us about those kits that genuinely are ,plug and play ? Do such genuine Chinese or otherwise HID conversion kits exist ?

If so, then I would suggest that as a forum, we promote the well designed & built kits and actively discourage the purchase of the cheap n cheerful ones that will probably cause us to keep looking at the installation and “fixing” it.

There MUST be decent and well designed full conversions for bulb to HID out there guys, so tell us which is which, and give us all a chance to avoid the conmen J
    Last edited by Woody; 17th December 2012 at 04:20.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The kit I have fitted and have been running for over two years, came from HID's direct, the bulbs were 6000K then changed to 4300K then changed to 5000K all came with plastic bases.

Since fitting apart from self inflicted changes, nothing has required attention. The plastic base fits equally as well as the metal base and has never become dislodged. I would add that immediately prior to the HID's I fited a pair of H7 6000K filament bulbs that came with a metal base and due to access to the area I did manage to install one of the bulbs in-correctly causing much annoyance as the beam pattern was replaced by a splodge of light.

I agree that there are some very poor quality kits out there however and that I may well be very fortunate but can't see how this can be improved in the current supply and demand market in which we live.

As for the safety improvement seen by fitting a kit, as I drive a large number of miles each year on unlit roads.

If it were possible to buy a higher quality kit, I would do so but on ebay as we all know, more pounds spent doesn't guarantee better end quality products.

Just my experience and a response to your comments.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Year : 2010

My kit came from HIDS-Direct, the bulbs have metal bases with the correct "tang" on them so they only fit one way round, fit correctly into the holders in the same way normal bulbs do and lock into place using the standard bulb fitting in the headlight. Had they been any different to that, they'd have been sent back...
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Now Gone, bring on the Insignia (now "Teapot" Tuned)...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

I bought my HID kit from www.hids4us.com over 3 years ago for something like £67 (they're a bit cheaper now). Worked straight out the box with no issues. Plastic base HID bulbs clipped into my facelift headlights without any dramas. They have never become dislodged through vibration, etc.

I had to replace a blown HID bulb approx 2 years 5 months later and that's the first time they became detached from the headlight. The replacements also have plastic bases and have been clipped in place for nearly 12 months now. cost approx £10 for the 2 bulbs.

In short, no issues whatsoever with plastic based HIDs bulbs.
    Last edited by Big Dave; 17th December 2012 at 12:15.

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

Had a £30 set on this car for 3 years and before that it was on another car for 2 years.

As for the metal or plastic base argument aslong as they are secure it doesn't matter as the length on the bulb from the base be it metal or plastic will (Should) be the same. You could have a base 3 miles thick but the length of the bulb protruding (And being focused) would be the same.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi

Trim : XP1

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 66000

To the OP, who is the royal "we" to which you refer to in the post?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

me hahaha i didnt think it was that bad but i agree with the bulbs surely they should clip in securely but mine havent budged and am happy with them

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra SRi

Trim : XP1

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 150

Year : 2007

Mileage : 66000

Suppose I should add that all the HiD kits I have had have had plastic bases, and never budged at all (in a cumulative 6+ year period).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

well mine havent moved so far and i dont think they will but as said there is a difference in thickness between the metal base and plastic based ones but as i said i am happy so far and i didnt know anything about this hahaha

VIP-Member
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Engine : Z18XER