User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 DTI Wont start! ( and went it does it cuts straight out)

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default 2.0 DTI Wont start! ( and went it does it cuts straight out)

Hi there everyone, as the title says ive got a major problem where i cant get my vectra too start. Ive tried firing it up many times with jump leads hooked up to my brothers car and it just turns over with no signs of starting. Only very rarely will it cough abit and twice ive managing to actually get it started, but... keeping foot on accelerator and it still after about 10 seconds conked out. When it does cough or rarely start its chugs aload of white smoke out.

Now, quick background into how this problem has come about. I bought the car approximately 7 weeks ago. ran fine for around 5 weeks but then all of a sudden as i went to reverse into my parking spot at work it cut out on me and wouldnt start back up. I tried jumping it off a van and it still wouldnt start, so that night i fully charged the battery and put it back in the next day to find it still wouldnt start (Ruling out that it was a dead battery). I called a mechanic out to it and he claimed the reason it wasnt starting is because the car was previously ran on chip fat oil that hadnt been filtered correctly and it had seized the fuel pipes. He also said that one of the heaters that was fitted by the previous owner to run it on this chip fat oil had gone faulty and wasnt working, overheated and thats what caused the battery to go flat. So his repair to my car was to rip out all the mods to run it on this chip fat oil and to fit new fuel pipes where needed and scrape as much **** out from the bottom of the fuel tank. This all made sense to me and i was 100% lead to believe that this would solve the problem. The problem was solved and it cost me £250, but it lasted all of 2 days, when funnily enough when again reversing into my parking space at work it cut out again (strange thing happened when reversing too was that since he gave me my car back my reverse parking sensors were not working, and then on this certain reverse where it cut out they were working for the first time again...doubt this has anything to do with it though?).

I rang the mechanic telling him its got the exact same problem as before and he came out to look at it again and said he got it started after alot of attempts, had a drive round in it and as he got back to park at work again it cut out on him. He basically knocked it on the head with me saying he thinks its the fuel pump, which at the time i just said right forget it then. Now after doing some research i really dont believe its the fuel pump itself, maybe possibly the fuel pump ecu?

I have tried using my brothers op-com on the car and there is only 1 fault code coming up which is saying glow device low battery voltage (which i think just means i have 1 glow plug that needs changing) but no other fault codes came up which was surprising.

Yesterday we tried cracking the nuts on the injector pipes and tried firing it up and there was diesel squirting out of 3 of the pipes and very minimal if any at all coming out of the other 1.

Im at the point now where im really unsure what to do next. All i can think as the next thing to try is to remove the fuel pump ecu and check for dry joints as i hear these boards get problems. I would like suggestions though if this is a good idea or whether i can try anything else first that is more simple before i try this as i think it will be hard work to remove the fuel pump ecu.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and your help will be greatly appreciated

Admin & Merchandise Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Get battery checked and make sure its ok, then i would either spray some easy start into throttle housing or get it tow started. There maybe air in fuel system ? My old Dti conked out on red and it took ages to get it started again, white smoke is unburnt fuel so to me it sounds as if your starter is not turning quick enough to start car.

Also remember car uses glowplugs each time you start, even if glowplug light doesn't light up .So might be best to replace all glowplugs

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi bigmac, thanks four your reply. I have tried tow starting and that didnt work. Im sure the battery is alright though and it should still start from being jumped from another car though shouldnt it? Air in the full system is a possibilty i got to admit, not sure where air could be getting in though. It wasnt a case of conking out of low fuel though as i had 3/4 tank in.

As for the glow plug situation i would of thought 3 working glow plugs would of been fine, unless your thinking all glow plugs might be goosed.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Also added to OP...

Something else i found strange about this car that i hadnt noticed when i bought it was that the wiring that goes to the fuel pump ecu has obviously been tampered with as there are cable ties running all the way down it. Also two of the fuel injector pipes look brand new... Why would they have been changed :/

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mk1 renault scenic... I know I know but it drives

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.6 16v

Year : 2003

Does it run if someone sprays brake/ carb cleaner or propane into intake?

Looking at data what's engine rpm whilst cranking?
    whats fuel pressure?
    Have you got cam an crank sync?

are the reverse sensors aftermarket?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Not tried spraying anything in the intake, not sure how i would go about doing this either? its definetly something i can give a try.

Whilst cranking still cant get it running so dont know the rpm, or do you mean when im turning it over whilst cranked?
    How would i check the fuel pressure?
    Sorry but i dont know what cam and crank sync means (my car knowledge isnt very good)

Im not sure if there aftermarket sensors or not tbh, if theres a way of checking i could tell you

Sorry for the numbness here

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : ELITE

Trim : FULL LEATHER

Engine : 1.9 CDTI 150 BHP

Year : 2004

Mileage : 87,000

Have you tried the crank sensor

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

First thing did your mechanic change the fuel filter? You may well be getting fuel when the injecters are not connected but if the filter is blocked this may restrict the flow of fuel and the injecter may open later than normal, I rather familier with running cars on vegetable oil and biodiesel, and have certainly changed allot if filters.

Have you checked the in tank strainer, should be accessible from under the rear seats.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mk1 renault scenic... I know I know but it drives

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.6 16v

Year : 2003

Remove intake pipe after air filter and spray into the pipe while someone cranks
    if it starts you know you have a fuel problem.

fuel pressure, rpm and crank cam. Can be seen on live data

you need roughly 200rpm for it to start.

im suspecting fuel pump from what you have said.

check reverse sensors see if their taking any feeds of the rear lights or weather its plugged in as genuine unit into REC

weird how it happens as you reversing. Is you space up a hill? Any bumps divots etc?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yeah the next 3 days will be difficult for me to try anything as im working away and the car is parked at work..but when i next get chance ill plug the op-com back in and check the fuel pressure etc on there.

Also i will buy some stuff for the intake pipe as soon as i can and try what you said there

yeah it is strange with the reverse sensors and again ill check that stuff when i get chance. it is slightly on a hill where its parked, but its level at the point of where i put it in reverse.

Mon - The mechanic didnt change the fuel filter but i had a full service done to it about 4 weeks ago where surely they will have changed it then. I have noticed that there isnt much fuel in the filter where i was under the impression that it should be brimmed, so i was thinking about filling that with diesel and trying to start it.

Not checked the tank strainer but again i would of presumed the mechainc would of checked this as he was fiddling about under the rear seats supposidly clearing **** out of the bottom of the tank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information