Thread: RE-Facing Cylinder Head

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused RE-Facing Cylinder Head

Hi guys. Sorry if this is a really obvious question. My 2007 1.9 CDTi was at a Vx dealer recently to have the exhaust valves changes (a common problem apparently when vx changed the valves) and im still having problems with the car. Finally I got a report from the engineering company that had the cylinder head and there wasnt a reface/skim listed on the invoice. I asked Vx about this and I was told that apparently these types of cylinder head are NEVER refaced. IS this true?

Seems odd to me. I seem to be losing a bit of coolant but Vx say they have pressure tested it and cant see any obvious leaks.

They also replaced the timing belt when they did the valves - but didnt change the water pump or even ask me if I wanted to pay to change the pump which I found very odd too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by paulcoates View Post
    Hi guys. Sorry if this is a really obvious question. My 2007 1.9 CDTi was at a Vx dealer recently to have the exhaust valves changes (a common problem apparently when vx changed the valves) and im still having problems with the car. Finally I got a report from the engineering company that had the cylinder head and there wasnt a reface/skim listed on the invoice. I asked Vx about this and I was told that apparently these types of cylinder head are NEVER refaced. IS this true?

Seems odd to me. I seem to be losing a bit of coolant but Vx say they have pressure tested it and cant see any obvious leaks.

They also replaced the timing belt when they did the valves - but didn't change the water pump or even ask me if I wanted to pay to change the pump which I found very odd too
    Sounds like a warranty job.

Meaning they will want to do it as cheap as possible within the warranty and job specifications.

If the heads off for work other than headgasket failure/overheating/leaking etc then it wont need skimming or pressure testing as there was no fault in that area in the first place.

Recommended belt and pump change is 100000k

If the cars within that mileage range they wont see fit to change the pump "in specification" .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just what Vx said. The car had done 89k miles when the head was off. I took advice from an independent mechanic who said no matter what, the head should always be refaced to make sure there are no dips etc. the car seems to be losing coolant slightly now. They changed the belt but not the pump, even though they were there? Just seems a bit odd. I've now got an awful burning smell when I've done a short journey on the motorway, come to come off and as I'm slowing at about 50mph it starts juddering and a smell of burning diesel/ more like paraffin enters the cab. Then at standstill the revs bounce about for 5-10 secs before righting itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Take it back to them and tell them the head gasket is leaking and they need to do the job properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

if its not broke they wont fix it, the head can be checked to make sure the face is flat and nor warped or anything

if it was flat theres no point in skimming it as that would just be work thats not needed, it would also raise the compression ration slightly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by paulcoates View Post
    Just what Vx said. The car had done 89k miles when the head was off. I took advice from an independent mechanic who said no matter what, the head should always be refaced to make sure there are no dips etc. the car seems to be losing coolant slightly now. They changed the belt but not the pump, even though they were there? Just seems a bit odd. I've now got an awful burning smell when I've done a short journey on the motorway, come to come off and as I'm slowing at about 50mph it starts juddering and a smell of burning diesel/ more like paraffin enters the cab. Then at standstill the revs bounce about for 5-10 secs before righting itself.
    This alone requires you take it back to them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Dont I know it! Its been back to them 6 or 7 times - they apparently cant fault it. Iv had a mechanic look at it and he said there is oil coming through the breather pipes into the crankcase breather filter, could be where smell is coming from. The car actually had quite a lot of oil too much in it. They refused it had anything to do with it. They have decided that they want the RAC to do an inspection at their cost which is tomorrow, but they cant take the head off can they!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Independent SKILLED mechanic looked at car today. Injector number 3 was leaking, not tightened up correctly and diesel all over the place - might explain something. Thats been sorted. Also all 4 glow plugs were down. He also noticed the UJ on the steering rack was loose - this is afer the DEALER had removed it to get the Auto box out for another job not long ago and clearly not tightened it back up. Never ever use a dealer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

That sounds exactly like the problem I have. Same work done, coolant leak from somewhere, pump not changed and oil in header.
    At least it's not just 1 place that makes these issues but can't see why it's so difficult to source the issue when they fix it.
    I don't want to go to VX but I think it best to find the issue first.

Thread Information