User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ford = Parents Can Decide Car Speed + Stereo Volume For Their Kids Driving .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Ford = Parents Can Decide Car Speed + Stereo Volume For Their Kids Driving .

Ford = Parents Can Decide Car Speed + Stereo Volume For When Their Kids Driving .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ers-drive.html

How to teenage-proof the car: New key system will allow parents restrict the speed their youngsters drive

• Ford myKey can be programmed to limit speed limit and stereo volume
    • It can also prevent safety features being disabled like stability control
    • The system is available in Ford Fiestas in the UK from next month

By Damien Gayle
    PUBLISHED: 14:33, 23 November 2012 | UPDATED: 20:51, 23 November 2012

Protective parents of young drivers can now limit the speed their children drive at using a new kind of key on the market for the first time in the UK from next month.
    Ford's myKey system interfaces with the computer systems on board its latest cars to place restrictions on drivers using the special keys.
    It works by recognising different keys for the same car and then adjusting the vehicle settings according to the owner’s requirements, with the capacity to limit the top speed to just 80mph.
    Scroll down for video

The end of the boy racer? Ford's MyKey fob, which parents can programme to set a range of restrictions on their cars when they give them to their children to use

The limits are linked to the specific key, so mothers and fathers concerned about their inexperienced children can limit top speed and stereo volume for youngsters while retaining full functionality for themselves.
    The company said: 'Ford’s myKey allows parents to tailor vehicle performance and driver environment to suit individual users.

'Permanent enabling of safety and driver aids as well as speed and audio limiting give parents greater control without impacting on young drivers’ independence.'

More...

Drivers under the age of 25 are twice as likely to be involved in a fatal accident in the UK.
    On top of limiting speeds and volumes it prevents the driver from deactivating safety technologies like stability control which can which can help prevent low-speed collisions.
    Stability control helps prevent the kinds of loss-of-control incidents which inexperienced drivers are more likely to suffer.
    The maximum speed cap can be combined with speed limit warning chimes that cut in at 45mph, 55mph and 65mph - a feature included after market research showed speeding was the biggest worry of parents of young drivers.

Speed limit: The MyKey system limits youngsters' speed to 80mph and can also be programmed to keep the volume on the stereo down and stop drivers disabling safety features on the vehicle

Safety first: The limits are linked to the specific key, with the car's owner holding the master key which allows youngsters' keys to be programmed

The MyKey system can also be programmed to alert the driver that fuel is running low sooner than it would normally, with the warning light flashing when 75 miles worth of fuel is left rather than 50 miles.
    The feature can limit the volume of the stereo to 44 per cent to ensure youngsters are less distracted and disable the sound system altogether if the driver and passengers are not wearing seatbelts.
    'Young drivers are not too keen on myKey until they learn that it often improves the chances their parents will allow them to drive in the first place'

Peter Patzelt, Ford

MyKey, which has been available in the U.S. since 2009, was developed for the UK by Ford’s Peter Patzelt. 'All parents know that if teenagers are experts at one thing, it’s finding ways of getting into trouble,' he said.
    'MyKey allows Fiesta owners to set sensible restrictions for young drivers, and delivers peace-of-mind for parents.
    'Parents love myKey because it helps them reduce their teenagers’ exposure to risk at the wheel.
    'Young drivers are not too keen on myKey until they learn that it often improves the chances their parents will allow them to drive in the first place.'

Britain's most popular car: The MyKey will be available on new models of the Ford Fiesta from next month. It has been available in the U.S. since 2009

MyKey is initially only available on the Ford Fiesta, the UK’s biggest-selling car, but is expected to be introduced across the entire range by 2015.
    Road safety charity Brake today praised Ford for its innovation but called on the government to change the laws for learner drivers.
    They want the scrapping of intensive courses so young motorists spend a minimum of a year learning to drive as well as a number of restrictions brought in once people pass their test.
    Ellen Booth, senior campaigns officer, said: 'Traffic is the biggest killer of young people, so it’s vital that action is taken to tackle the additional risks they face on roads.
    'Manufacturers have an important role to pay, and Brake welcomes this initiative.
    'However, Brake also urges the government to reform the system of learning to drive to a graduated system, so young drivers can learn to drive gradually, with less exposure to the riskiest situations.'
    VIDEO:

MyKey System helps teens to drive more safelyhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2237435/How-teenage-proof-car-New-key-allow-parents-restrict-speed-youngsters-drive.html

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz2DdBqFmDZ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by HITFACTORY1403; 29th November 2012 at 17:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2007

So you carnt kill ya self at 80mph eh lol why a load of crap if it wasn't for me to be able to make the mistakes I did when I was young I never would of learned to drive propaly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Is that the new Ford Fiesta in yellow,.. or the current Fiat Punto?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

'Young drivers are not too keen on myKey until they learn that it often improves the chances their parents will allow them to drive in the first place'

Peter Patzelt, Ford

Or the teenager just finds another car they can boy race , belonging to his / her mates or their parents that does not have the " Parental Set Up " on it .

If a teenager can hack into an X Box , mobile phone settings ,, P. S. or internet settings ......

Then how long before they can bypass the cars parental barriers ???

Will we see kids in the future with their own diagnostic machines , trying to undo their parents car settings ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I'm what they call a "young driver", since i passed my test a few years ago the one thing that needs to be changed is allowing learner drivers to use the motorways at certain times. When i passed it was the first thing i asked my dad how to do. He took me out so i could get a feel for it.

Alot of instructors teach you to pass the test not how to drive. They're all worried about their perctage passed first time. Also the system of examining the drivers is shoddy. There is no way to tell how "competant" a driver is in 45 - hours driving around a town.

IMO "Its all about barrell time" with driving. The more you do it the better you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Buttonbasher View Post
    I'm what they call a "young driver", since i passed my test a few years ago the one thing that needs to be changed is allowing learner drivers to use the motorways at certain times. When i passed it was the first thing i asked my dad how to do.

Unfortunately , i would guess the only possible safer times for learners on the motorway would be between 11 pm at night and 5 am in the morning and even that time would not give you experience of the masses at rush hour times etc .

I am sure for that inconvenience & time of night , the Driving Instructor would want hansomely £££££ compensated .

Is there not a simulator for motorway driving ??? Still no substitute for the real thing , if there is ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.9CDTi (120) Estate

Trim : Design

Year : 55

Mileage : 126000

Quote Originally Posted by HITFACTORY1403 View Post
    ...Is there not a simulator for motorway driving ??? Still no substitute for the real thing , if there is ...
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...Ezn5rM0tKY1Y8w

Full mini in the same simulator system as used by apache gunship pilots (page 7)

I had a play with it when I was installing a 3D system there

Thread Information