User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Timing belt failure/knackered engine???

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Timing belt failure/knackered engine???

    Car is 120 cdti 8V which belongs to a mate's friend.

    We had planned to do timing over the weekend with all parts ordered and delivered but seems the timing had a mind its own. The car was being driven in slow traffic and engine suddenly cuts out. He tried starting it but no chance and could only hear sort of metal noise. Called out RAC who tried starting it and diagnosed possible tensioner failure, so got it towed to his house as it was night time.

    We are yet to open it up due to work commitment but the questions are what are we up against? Broken rockers? Broken valves and pistons? What is the likely cost of repair?

    Will it need another complete engine or can this one be rescued? Read its only the 16V that have rockers broken when belt goes and not the 8V. Is this true?

    We are going to have a look over the weekend to see extent of damage but what is the worst case scenario? What should we look out for please?

    Any suggestions/assistance/directions are appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Full Member GazVXLINE170's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It's probably wrecked the valve lifters/followers in the head so you may not need a new engine but you will certainly need new valve lifters/followers. These are designed to break to save the engine.
    Insignia VX-Line Nav CDTI 170.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Does it mean we have to take the complete head off then? Is it a repair that can be DIYed? thanks

  4. #4
    Regular Member fistymus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saltburn-by-the-Sea
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I was lucky with a mondeo I had where the belt had snapped at idle. Re-aligned the cams and fitted new belt and the car fired up and ran no problem Hope your mate is in luck.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fistymus View Post
    I was lucky with a mondeo I had where the belt had snapped at idle. Re-aligned the cams and fitted new belt and the car fired up and ran no problem Hope your mate is in luck.
    That was a close call. Fingers crossed for him then.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Any more suggestions/opinions guys? Thanks

  7. #7
    Regular Member C-Owner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South London
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok done loads of these z19dt engines with broken cam belts

    Take the easy route first, fit a belt and fire it up to see what's what, I keep second hand belts for this purpose,
    if all ok then get a T/b kit and water pump

    You will see the camshaft carrier and any/no damage whilst stripping down to do the belt.

    The 150's snap the rockers and its a "safer" engine if the belt fails, sorry not much use to you though

    I'll send you a second hand belt if you want to test it.
    Last edited by C-Owner; 29th November 2012 at 20:48.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Owner View Post
    Ok done loads of these z19dt engines with broken cam belts

    Take the easy route first, fit a belt and fire it up to see what's what, I keep second hand belts for this purpose,
    if all ok then get a T/b kit and water pump

    You will see the camshaft carrier and any/no damage whilst stripping down to do the belt.

    The 150's snap the rockers and its a "safer" engine if the belt fails, sorry not much use to you though

    I'll send you a second hand belt if you want to test it.
    Thanks but if all is not okay after testing with another fitted belt, what next?

    Can fitting another belt and trying to give it a go damage anything further or has all the deed been done already?

  9. #9
    Regular Member C-Owner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South London
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Whats done is done

    No harm in trying it you might get lucky.

    Obviously crank it over by hand to check free 360' movement with the belt on, watch the cam followers make sure they have full movement up and down under the cam lobes and make sure none of the cam caps are cracked/bent, then see if she fires up and dont rev the crap outta it
    let it tick over if it sounds clanky and rattly turn it off it it sounds ok gently bring the revs up till your happy it's ok!!!!

    If it was a Alfa Romeo petrol engine I would regrind the crankshaft and change the bearings as they are sensitive to impact pressure.

    As it the z19dt engine they are quite hardy on the bottom end you have nothing to loose except the time it takes to try to see if the top ends ok.

    I have had 60/40 success with these engines so good luck.
    Last edited by C-Owner; 29th November 2012 at 21:40.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Owner View Post
    Whats done is done

    No harm in trying it you might get lucky.

    Obviously crank it over by hand to check free 360' movement with the belt on, watch the cam followers make sure they have full movement up and down under the cam lobes and make sure none of the cam caps are cracked/bent, then see if she fires up and dont rev the crap outta it
    let it tick over if it sounds clanky and rattly turn it off it it sounds ok gently bring the revs up till your happy it's ok!!!!

    If it was a Alfa Romeo petrol engine I would regrind the crankshaft and change the bearings as they are sensitive to impact pressure.

    As it the z19dt engine they are quite hardy on the bottom end you have nothing to loose except the time it takes to try to see if the top ends ok.

    I have had 60/40 success with these engines so good luck.
    Okay. Thanks for the information. That is handy for us to have a go at the weekend. Will keep the thread updated. Cheers.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. anyway to do the timing belt without timing tool
    By valvelift in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15th December 2012, 18:47
  2. Timing Belt Failure
    By higgy1541 in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd November 2012, 18:12
  3. Done Timing Belt 19 cti now engine light on?
    By ronnie63 in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2nd September 2012, 15:17
  4. Engine noise louder than it was before timing belt was replaced
    By the-converter in forum Engine & Drivetrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th October 2011, 12:26
  5. Timing belt.. 1.8 petrol engine
    By waterbourne in forum Vectra C / Signum Car Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10th May 2011, 21:05

Visitors found this page by searching for:

astra 1.9 8v timing belt snap z19dt

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •