User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Travel Assistant, why bother with the fitting kit...!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Travel Assistant, why bother with the fitting kit...!

As is well known, Vauxhall no longer stock the fitting kit for Signum Travel Assistant, so what to do with the TA you just spent good money on...?

The main components of the kit are the wiring and the metal bracket.

You will find that the base unit hooks onto the back of the seat and is secure enough just resting on the carpet. So the other issue is the wiring.

Run a couple of automotive wires (e.g. 15A, red and brown) from the boot to above the centre tunnel, passing them under panels as best as you can. Make sure you leave about 50cm extra in the car for ease of connection.

In the boot open the left side panel where fuses are, locate fuse 26 - this is the ignition power for TA.

Connect the red cable to the right hand side of this fuse - if you can't find a suitable connector then expose about 7mm of the wire, flatten the strands and push them into the right hand hole, place the fuse on top and push in.

Connect the brown wire to a good earth - you will find one inside the spare wheel compartment near the tail lights.

Now move inside the car and terminate the two wires with suitable round connectors - these must have insulating cover and will need to fit onto the pins of the base unit.

Counting from nearside, pin one is earth (brown) and pin 8 is power (red). Push the round connectors onto them.... and enjoy you TA.

No need to spend time and money for a fitting kit, nor do you need to cut the carpet. When you remove the TA just coil the wires and push them under the centre seat.

Cramlington Northumberland, V6 Jaguar S-type Sport
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar S-Type V6

Trim : Sport

Engine : Petrol

Year : 2003

I prefer the plug and play method myself........But if you cant get the full kit its a way around the problem. Just hope it don't burst into flames !

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : z18xe

Year : 06

Don't like the sound of that, bit dodgy just pushing the bare wire into the fuse slot. Got disaster written all over it. Not to mention the TA not being secure!

Sent from my Xperia S via Forum Runner

Hampshire (Near Havant) . .Drives: Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Design

Engine : 1.9 CDTi

Year : 2005

I would be more worried about the TA in a crash.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by lee gsi View Post
    I would be more worried about the TA in a crash.
    I'd be more worried about the 2 laptops, DVD player & cups of hot coffee in a crash! lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I did mention the other day about it not being clipped in , at the end of the day if the thread starter wants to put his passengers at danger from a flying TA then who are we to stop him !!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forum Runner

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C 3.2 Gsi Auto (Zavoli LPG with Flashlube)

Trim : Gsi with loads of "Extras"

Engine : 3.2 Z32SE (LPG)

Year : 2004

Mileage : 131,000

I can only assume the thread starter has never been involved in a serious RTA ?

10 years ago myself and family in one car were travelling with friends and their family in their car (VW Golf) on a touring/camping holiday in France.

Both our cars were well packed (legally) as you can imagine with both passengers and luggage + supplies. Due to both cars being full up, we had both invested in a well known brand of roofbar mounted "travel boxes" which were securely mounted into the correct locking points built into both car roofs, needless to say, both roofboxes, were also well and fully packed

That was the beginning of a holiday nightmare because on the 3rd day, our friends were involved in a head on collision with another medium sized vehicle (Citroen Van). Both cars were written off in the accident, all occupants of both vehicles were hospitalised and all fortunately well recovered now !

Anyway, the real point of this post is to let you know how far the roof box "flew" off the Golf when the body was so badly distorted by the accident, the box no longer had a correct or full attachment to the car.

The fully laden Roof Box "flew" a full 50 feet, over the roof of the now stationary Golf+Citroen at an estimated speed of 50 MPH ! I daren't think of the weight but on reflection was probably a combined box/roof bars/ and contents of around 25-30kg.

Fortunately it didn't hit anything or anyone, but I daren't think of what would have happened to anyone if it had hit. And that was a suitably professionally mounted approved piece of equipment mounted OUTSIDE the vehicle. It doesn't bear thinking about as to what damage a 15kg piece of equipment might be capable of doing were it to be launched due to inadequate mounting whilst INSIDE the passenger compartment in a similar incident ?

Something to consider anyway

Cheers

Woody

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well... you have a choice. Given choice I would purchase the kit too, the effort needed for improvisation is more than the cost of the kit.

As for the concerns you all have, may be you should test the method, and then make 'measured' comments - that is if you are technically minded!

Connection to the right hand hole of the fuse (as an alternative suggestion) will keep the fuse in circuit and it is stronger than just fuse being in the slot - you can use a cable tie too.

The base unit can only be hooked to the back through 45 degree turn, and when the fridge unit is locked in, it cannot be lifted more than 5 degrees. Hence even if the car is resting on its roof it cannot disengage.

The hot coffee and all the other hazardous entities you may have at the time of crash will follow the same behaviour as if you fitted the kit - I suggest there is more danger of your luggage flying out of the back and breaking someone's neck, let alone all other loose objects people keep in their car - coffee burn is least of your worries - and how about the satnav flying through and hitting you in the eye...! I can give you plenty more hazard scenarios, having been involved in risk assessment for 24 years - the key is always risk reduction - risk cannot be eliminated.

So whether you like plug&play or coffee on-the-fly, this was only a suggestion that you would have to weight according to your own priorities.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Signum

Trim : Elite

Engine : 3.2

Year : 2003

Those TAs weigh a ton, I wouldn't one of them smacking me in the back of the head. Risk reduction would be not having it sat loose on the back seat. But aye, if you can't get the kit, what do you do?

I've got a TA, came with the car, it works and everything but I'll probably use it 2 or 3 times a year at most, so I wouldn't have cared if I hadn't got one.

Thread Information