Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Wiring an amp, need an ignition live and permanent live in the boot

Hi guys,

After fitting my stereo and Parrot handsfree yesterday, today I want to wire up my sub.

I have already plugged the aux wires into my stereo and fed the down the side of the car. I want to power the amp from the rear of the car (ie, not directly from the stereo).

So I need an ignition live and a permanent live in the boot area. I'm not too keen on going straight from the fusebox as I think that might be a bit to advanced for me, would rather spur off from other wires...

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Year : 2010

What's the power rating of the amp? Unless it's a tiny one, you really need to run a decent cable (at least 4 gauge) direct to the battery and make sure you fuse the battery end too. Whilst there are some spare reasonably high rated connections in the REC, I would not recommend using these for an amp.
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I asked the same question a year ago, Ian told me the same, and after seeing the REC wiring, i would strongly advise you not to feed off any of the REC wiring for an amp. Ian's How2 guide is guite informative and easy to follow, you just need to run a live feed directly from the battery into the boot (or wherever you want the amp), and there are plenty of earthing points

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

make sure you buy a fuse holder and fuse place it in the engine bay just after the battery DO NOT run a heavy gauge wire through your car without a fuse on it if it shorts out for what ever reason it will probably burn otherwise

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

oh and you dont need an ignition live you need to take a feed from the acc wire on the stereo to switch the amp on and off when you turn the stereo on

normally blue but check the diagram or labels on the stereo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers guys... ball ache, didnt want to feed the power cable to the battery cos I'm a lazy bodger

What's the best way through the bulk head to get the wire through?

I have got some thick power cable, I found a box of competition amp wiring kit from my younger days! But as is so thick, the connectors that you join to it are also thick - they look too thick to connect to the amp terminals?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

just drop the glove box out theres a few rubber bungs you can go through there, as for the connectors try see if they will fit if not get some smaller ones and trim the wire down some

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by inchy1981 View Post
    cheers guys... ball ache, didnt want to feed the power cable to the battery cos I'm a lazy bodger

What's the best way through the bulk head to get the wire through?

I have got some thick power cable, I found a box of competition amp wiring kit from my younger days! But as is so thick, the connectors that you join to it are also thick - they look too thick to connect to the amp terminals?
    You really need to fit a small fuse unit by the battery, run the 4 gauge (or bigger) from the battery to that, run the 4 gauge (or bigger) from the other side of that to a fuse unit/box in the boot, then run 8 gauge from that to the amp/s.

Some shots of my setup if it helps, I'm running four lowish power amps (300w peak each) so have a four way fusebox fitted in the boot, two 4 gauge cables into it from the battery and four 8 gauge cables out, one to each amp...

"Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

cheers guys...

why do I need another inline fuse in the boot? would a 10 amp be enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

You should always really fuse high power cables at each end if you're then tailing off that rear end, although the battery end is more critical, however the fuse box in the boot also acts as a distribution box at the same time. Bear in mind though that if you don't fuse the rear end, if you get a short in the cable to the amp, it could potentially all burn out until the front fuse trips, if you have a fuse at the rear too, that will pop first.

As for what rating it would need, what size fuse is in the amp? If you stick a 10A fuse in the inline holder/fuse box and your amp has a 25A fuse in it because it can pull that much power when ramped up then your 10A fuse is gonna pop really quick. Easiest way is to stick the same rating fuse in the fuse holder as is in the amp with a higher rated one at the front (mine has two 60A ones by the battery, one on each cable and four 20A ones in the boot fuse box, one for each output, each amp has it's own 20A fuse).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information