Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Fault code

Hi Guys,

Just done the fault code check on my 53 signum 2.0t and it has given me a code of 0547 which i think means Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit (Bank 2)

Any ideas what this is or means???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.6T SIDI Petrol

Year : 2014

your engine for its year will probably have had the EGT sensor in the downpipe just below the cat. It could be faulty but its worth unscrewing it from the downpipe first and cleaning it off. While you at it you may want to clean off Lamdba 1 which is also in the downpipe but above the cat in the bend. Lambda 2 is in the centre section of the exhaust pipe and is worth a clean as well if you still get issues. If you still get probs you can replace the EGT or have it mapped out by a competent remapper/tuner who knows their way around a Trionic 8 ECU.

I would start with cleaning them first though, you can use various things like Isopropyl alcohol or brake/clutch cleaner. Cleaning the MAF could be worth considering as well, but be very careful with it, don't touch it just a light spray will do it..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Cheers matey, How easy are they to clean? ill have a go at it on Monday when im off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

easy enough, unscrew them, spray them and give them a gentle brush over with and old tooth brush, wipe off excess (should evaporate anyway) and screw back in. Access to the EGT can be limited so make sure the engine is cold or you burn yourself trying to get it out. I have read about people leaving the hanging in a cup of cola for few hours and then cleaning them off with brake/clutch cleaner..

its not an exhaustive list but its somewhere to start. keep checking the codes though in case it moves onto another sensor. The Z20NET engines after 2004 (I think it was that year) came without the EGT, I don't have one one mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Found the two lambda sensors but as i dont have a ramp i cant get them out to give them a good clean. Did not see the temp sensor as it is so tight under the bonnet. I disconnected the battery whilst i did it, then on start up the code cleared off. started it a few times and it was clear then it comes back on???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Taken the car to Halfords auto centre today so they could read the code on the machine and it came back as a non detectable fault???? i read it from the brake pedal test as 0547 so how they hell can they not read it. Lambda sensors look pretty hard to get off, do i need to heat them up to loosen them or is it a case a brute force??

The temp sensor( which is the code) also looks ****** hard work to get off. any tips on getting them out or do i just get it in to a garage to strip and clean??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Forget halfords they are useless, you either chuck it into a garage or you have a crack at it yourself. They do unscrew just use force as they have been in since it left the factory.

To get at the egt is not so easy as you have seen. you may end up having to remove the turbo to get at it if you can't do it from below. Now if you consider labour costs and a new egt it may work out better to get a remap and have the egt written out of the map as Maptun do for these engines. Not sure on mapper in your area but torqueingbhp have agents all over and know what they are doing with stage 1 remaps.

It may well be worth trying your local trusted independent garage or finding a competent spanner monkey on here who lives near to you.

Thread Information