Thread: Automatic VXR anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Automatic VXR anyone?

Vauxhall have launched the 280PS Vectra VXR Hatch and Estate with a 6 Speed Auto box.

Personally I like the sound of it, would make for rapid easy driving, but I am sure very rare over time.

Your thoughts?

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Pointless, they do the elite auto for people who want a 2.8 auto, the VXR identity being weakened yet again by Vx .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes Matt, I bet that would be a beauty to drive, relaxed & easy, with a nice blast of power if you need it.

I used to hate autos with a passion, but they've improved dramatically, I've been using the company CLS recently & it's really converted me.

I got back in mine the other day, pulled away in 1st, then forgot to change gear! I was cursing the car, WTF is wrong? Ooops errr this ones a manual, must remember that in future

I nearly stalled a couple of times as well slowing down when I forgot again lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Can't agree with you Baine

I'm firmly in the camp which thinks anything other than an automatic is pointless. I genuinely can't understand why anyone would want to drive a manual in today's traffic. The good thing is we have a choice - I can drive my autos, you can have your manual and we're all happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Bainie View Post
    Pointless, they do the elite auto for people who want a 2.8 auto, the VXR identity being weakened yet again by Vx .
    A valid point, but what about those people who are truly into performance cars, but are denied because they need an auto but can't have one.

I have a close buddy who broke his neck and back after being hit on his push bike at 70mph from behind and was left with a paralysed left leg, he has to have an auto but has bought 'boring' cars not though choice.

I just called him about the VXR auto and he is off to the dealers for more info.

I think Vauxhall can get away with it with an Auto Vectra VXR or even an Auto Zafira VXR, but I agree it would cheapen the range if they did an Auto Astra/Corsa VXR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I think the auto on the VXR will sell some, so long as the 0-60 time is still reasonable. It's not as if the manual box on the VXR is perfect: mine's a bit clonky for the first couple of miles when cold, but quite a heavy and long throw even when warm (probably size of cogs etc. needed to take the engine torque).

Main downside is that I see too many cars with kn*ckered auto boxes around 100k miles, and they're not cheap to fix, which is how they become rare over time. Probably best to stick with the manual if you drive hard and are going to do lots of miles.

dv.
    Last edited by VXR_DV; 12th January 2007 at 11:25.

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Ahhh, but why not the Astra, Because it is a true VXR thats why, I personally don`t think the vec lives up to the name, and releasing an auto imo proves this. I agree with you, an astra auto would be silly, but I think they are trying to sell the vec to a different market now, and perhaps they should rebrand it a GSi, an auto vxr just isn`t right imo ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I can see and understand your point of view, but Mercedes and Audi all offer auto versions of there AMG and 'S' models and they sell and drive better than the manual versions.

Who know's, if Vauxhall have got the auto VXR right, it might end up being the better selling car!!

As long as they sort the towing side, I mean, my 1.9 can with ease tow my fully laden caravan at 1455kg's and has a towing limit of 1600kg's, the 3.0 CDTi manual can tow up to 1700kg's.

But the 1.9 and 3.0 Auto's can only pull 1400kg's, and the 3.0 CDTi V6 estate auto can tow only 1200kg's which is pointless!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Astra VXR auto wouldn't make a lot of sense, as it's in the hot hatch segment. Vectra VXR is appealing to a different buyer.

The auto could make sense, especially if they fitted paddle switches on the steering wheel to make it a semi-auto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Bainie View Post
    I personally don`t think the vec lives up to the name..
    Maybe you should get yours tuned to 280ps, and have the suspension tweaked ?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information