User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANY CAR SALES Exec's? Advice please?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default ANY CAR SALES Exec's? Advice please?

Hi Guys,

I am currently considering a move into the car sales trade. I am currently employed but looking for a change.

I have a good knowledge of the car industry, different manufacturers, models etc.

I am fairly young and would like a move into something I would enjoy and would pay me a fairly decent wage.

Do any of you have any experience in this field or have any advice for me?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Your good knowledge of cars may be a disadvantage ...a lot of sales staff seem to know ****** all!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

It's a tough one to get into mate I tried for some time when I was 19-20 but only ever got an interview with sandicliffe which didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

The thing you have to remember though is that it's a commission based job so you may have a set minimum wage but you have to work the right hours to make real money (weekends/bank holidays).

Good luck though if you decide to pursue a career mate.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI SAT NAV

Engine : 2.2

Year : 2006

Mileage : 82000

i've worked for arnold clark and peoples ford. You any good at sales? I was able to talk to people and build a good relationship with them just useless at closing. The money is good if you sell. I was working with a 2 fellas who both took home serious cash each month the best month when I was at AC was £5459 take home he had an amazing month. If you have a family I would give it serious thought as it is long hours but the money can be good very good. It was a good laugh but hard work. I was at a motorstore and the average yearly wage for us sales execs was £49k but was high pressure from the bosses. I would recommend working for AC as you get proper training and normally cheap decent cars most ex hire from enterprise and ac hire when i was working for them and they dont as a rule rip you off on the APR well we never did. Worked at peoples and didn't like it as no structure and very expensive cars. It can be stressful. Enter with caution lol

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The pay in general is crap basic is very low but if you can sell cars you can earn £50K plus a year. It involves working almost every weekend and 11 or 12 hour days. I considered it at one point but heard too many nightmare stories to be a long term option for me and my situation.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

As said long hours very long hours. Expect to work 6days a week and then most week work your day off to get cars out etc. Monday was a right off as say you have sold 5 cars on a weekend which I always tried to do you have to sort the finance on the cars, make sure the car has all the service books etc, get the car serviced and sorted any issues, speak to customers to sort collection dates normally collected by the weds, sort insurance, sort taxing, raise forms to get all of the stuff ive mentioned done, make sure petrol is the car and then try and sell. It doesn't sound much but it is. Then you have the outbound phones calls to make pestering people to come in who bought car years ago. When i was doing it i hated it in the end but looking back now it was a laugh and have made some good friends out of it. My basic was £15k a year at AC and £12k at peoples.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks guys for the replys. That's helpful in helping me to make a decision whether or not to go for this. I don't mind working long hours, and I certainly dont mind what days, i.e. weekends etc.

I love cars and spend all my spare time looking at cars online, going to shows/meets etc. I have thought about sales for a long time but never made the move. I think I am going to go for this and if it doesnt work out, I have a job I can fall back on. As long as I have a decent basic wage I am quite happy to start with. I can then look at starting to earn the commission.

Thanks again and any further replies are welcome.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I have no experience myself, but know of others who do it and they are struggling at the moment. People seem to be keeping their cars longer / have no money etc... Perhaps the used market is more the place to be? On the other hand who isn't struggling right now?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by silver griffin View Post
    Thanks guys for the replys. That's helpful in helping me to make a decision whether or not to go for this. I don't mind working long hours, and I certainly dont mind what days, i.e. weekends etc.

I love cars and spend all my spare time looking at cars online, going to shows/meets etc. I have thought about sales for a long time but never made the move. I think I am going to go for this and if it doesnt work out, I have a job I can fall back on. As long as I have a decent basic wage I am quite happy to start with. I can then look at starting to earn the commission.

Thanks again and any further replies are welcome.
    TBH all 3 interviews i've been to when i said i loved cars etc have just laughed and said and what we want someone whos after money and can sell. Its hard selling used cars. You can have all the knowledge in the world. I thought I knew abit about cars but it doesn't matter that will only cloud your judgement at times. Some people cars are just a expense they would rather not have. Its hard when people are telling you to p1s5 off and leave them alone as they have been walking round all day on a saturday afternoon with the wife and kids nagging them to do other stuff you just have to smile and be nice. If you do go for it then good luck. At the interviews most of them happen before your in the interview room as they want to see if you will make convo with them. All 3 people have done the same trick. Sit in the waiting room then someone comes over offers a cup of tea etc and they want you to chat bubbles then they say im such a body follow me, sit in the interview room ask a couple of questions and if your lucky get told yes or no thats happened to me at all 3 interviews and got them all. The 3rd interview was a choice between selling new kia's or selling used fords and went down the ford route. At the start its boss with all the different cars and that. Moving them from place to place etc Even taking a spanking new st home gets boring. if you opt for a company car they normally let you choose between so many the more you sell the better the car. i know its naughty but you can get away with not paying tax on the car as its upto you to tell the tax man. Good luck and i'd go for it as you have nout to lose by the sound of it and you might regret it if you dont.

Cramlington Northumberland, V6 Jaguar S-type Sport
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Jaguar S-Type V6

Trim : Sport

Engine : Petrol

Year : 2003

This job is no good to you if you have moral standing and find it hard to lie. At the end of the day its all about money and obtaining it without any scruples.
    you can always tell when a car salesman is lying as his lips are moving.
    don't sell your soul for a few quid wore lad.....!
    I wouldn't trust one as far as I could kick one with my bare feet....!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information