Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default LPG on 3.2

Does anyone have LPG fitted to their 3.2?

as the value of my 3.2 has plummeted, I'm considering keeping it and lpging it and running it into the ground.

whats people's opinions / experiences with running a 3.2 on LPG?

cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C 3.2 Gsi Auto LPG Converted

Trim : Gsi with lots of "Extras"

Engine : 3.2 Z32SE

Year : 2004

Mileage : 117,000

Hi Mike. I have a 2004 preface 3.2 Gsi Auto. It came with LPG conversion already done (multipoint) with filler cap on lower OS rear below petrol filler, and a 55ltr "donut" tank occupying the space previously used for the spare.
    Using LPG with the configuration installed is completely seamless. The engine automatically uses the last fuel selected by the driver on the last run (LPG usually of course) and switches automatically to petrol when the LPG is empty (fully over-rideable by the driver ie you can make it fuel with whatever the driver selects if required).
    The engine "needs" to get started on petrol, again a fully automatic process, but switches to LPG automatically when it senses that it's ready (usually within a minute or two).
    I've had the car since around May/June this year. It has 88k on the clock and is running silky smooth.
    I have just completed a fuel monitoring session using the onboard BC and for the last 1150 miles over 6 weeks, I have achieved 27.1 mpg. Great news when that is at 69.9p per litre . That is with a mixed urban / motorway use of roughly 50/50 and with what I would class as "economy" use of the racing pedal.
    Hope this helps make your mind up m8

PS - It doesn't seem to perform any differently whether running on LPG or Unleaded, same Vroom either way for less ! Full "normal" 3.2 Gsi performance seems to be maintained.
    Last edited by Woody; 13th November 2012 at 01:40.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : saab 95

Engine : 2.3t

Year : 2006

i looked into this a few years ago and it was £2.5k to £3k to get it fitted. is it worth it for wots prob 3 years worth of driving left in the car.

would it be better and cheaper to sell yours and buy one thats fitted allready (v hard to find 1 ).

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I completely agree with yorkshireborn, however, prices for conversions are nowhere near as £2.5-3k these days.

I looked into it in considerable detail more recently, and conversions are to be had from £1-1.5k, possibly cheaper for "cash".

So, it mainly comes down to the current mileage/value of the car, and the annual mileage vs "payback" time also taking into account the upfront charge before you can start making any savings.

Let's assume LPG at 70p per ltr & Unleaded at say £1.35 - difference 65p per litre ie £2.81 per gallon
    £1500 conversion cost equates to a need to save 533 gallons in cost ie at 27mpg = 14412 miles
    14412 miles at £1.35 per litre at 27mpg (4.454 ltrs / gall) £3209
    14412 miles at 70 p per litre at 27mpg (4.454 ltrs / gall ) £1664

Granted this does not allow for fluctuating differences in price proportions lpg vs unleaded, or, any additional serviceing or maintenance issues arising from LPG use, but it does bring home what a comparitively low level of mileage would need to be done before you start to see real savings.

All hypothetical of course to me, but it really was these kinds of calculations that left me believing that it really was a no brainer provided the right deal could be found, for the right style of engine, together with age of engine/car plus its value and annual mileage.

Cheers
    Woody

PS - It goes without saying of course, that a successful conversion and running on LPG is highly dependant on the type and style of engine and the manufacturer. Certainly some engines are considered as "definitely unsuitable / undesireable" for conversion.
    Last edited by Woody; 13th November 2012 at 03:13.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had my 2.0L Turbo converted earlier this year, and where the running figures and performance stats are correct as posted by woodpeck, the installation costs are nowhere near £2.5K!

I had a top of the range BRC Sequent 24 multipoint system installed and all in it was £1300. Be aware that you can get cheaper options (Stag and Prins are good examples) which will work equally as good but alot of it comes down to the actual installation itself. If you are going to have it done, try and find a reputable company. Lots will offer cheap installation, but they wont be able to certified to have it put on the LPG register (a nationally recognized organization which then qualifies you for a drop in road tax and is accepted by insurance companies). It will cost an additional £100 to have it inspected by a qualified tech, and then the cost of any faults found.

I went with the BRC system and a company which came highly recommended by many Subaru Imprezza/Forrester owners. Mine has been faultless since its installation, no loss in performace etc. Only thing that you have to really be aware of (and its typical of almost any LPG system) the fuel gauge you get with them is near on useless! After a couple of fill ups and run till dry (quite safe to do so) and resetting you mileage trip you soon figure out what sort of range you get with a full tank.

27mpg on a 3.2L sounds about right. I was getting about 33mpg on 2L.

Rgds
    Aidi

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2t

Trim : standard

Engine : z20net

Year : 08

Mileage : 32000

Quote Originally Posted by Aidi View Post
    I had my 2.0L Turbo converted earlier this year, and where the running figures and performance stats are correct as posted by woodpeck, the installation costs are nowhere near £2.5K!

I had a top of the range BRC Sequent 24 multipoint system installed and all in it was £1300. Be aware that you can get cheaper options (Stag and Prins are good examples) which will work equally as good but alot of it comes down to the actual installation itself. If you are going to have it done, try and find a reputable company. Lots will offer cheap installation, but they wont be able to certified to have it put on the LPG register (a nationally recognized organization which then qualifies you for a drop in road tax and is accepted by insurance companies). It will cost an additional £100 to have it inspected by a qualified tech, and then the cost of any faults found.

I went with the BRC system and a company which came highly recommended by many Subaru Imprezza/Forrester owners. Mine has been faultless since its installation, no loss in performace etc. Only thing that you have to really be aware of (and its typical of almost any LPG system) the fuel gauge you get with them is near on useless! After a couple of fill ups and run till dry (quite safe to do so) and resetting you mileage trip you soon figure out what sort of range you get with a full tank.

27mpg on a 3.2L sounds about right. I was getting about 33mpg on 2L.

Rgds
    Aidi
    I have just started to lok into this for my 2 T....prices varied from between £900 and £1400 plus vat...When I asked about the price differences the response was down to both spec of the system being installed and the actual quality of the instalation... the most expensive option included a lease car for the duration of the 3 day instal.. AND I was advised that some of the cheaper instalations dont come with certification.This was an extra £200!!

Aidi would you mind saying who you used to do yours ??

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by nikroc View Post
    .. AND I was advised that some of the cheaper instalations dont come with certification.This was an extra £200!!
    Not that I'm sure you or anyone else would consider such an installation without certification, but I would point out that a safety inspection including tank certification is a legal requirement (I forget how often, but the certificate date is also checked annually at MOT time as to whether it is current or not). Without that, you won't be able to get it accepted by DVLA for a reduced Tax Band, so that really is a No Brainer.

I'm not sure which comes first, the DVLA, or the LPG Register, my conversion is noted on the V5 whereas my registration doesn't show on the LPG register under my current Reg No. (probably not helped by the fact that the car is on its 2nd private plate, and the conversion was certified on the first private plate, all very confusing LOL) however, it is the V5 bit that is important and you won't get the conversion noted on the log book unless all the relevant steps were taken correctly.

Cheers

Woody
    Last edited by Woody; 13th November 2012 at 08:24.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 2t

Trim : standard

Engine : z20net

Year : 08

Mileage : 32000

Simply stating that the 'cheaper' option was not inclusive of the requiered certification is all. I guess the cheaper option is initially appealing until you look at the small print.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I had mine done at a place not far from Bath. Its now changed name and is called Rapid Tune. http://www.mot-bath.co.uk/

Price included: Full installation, Tank of Fuel, Flashlube system (not essential on a Vectra - but a safeguard against possible valve seat recession) loan car for the duration of installation and then a free check over and ECU map check at 1000 miles.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I an recommend Autotech in Ripley (Derbyshire) - dpends where you are in Yorkshire as to getting there. They do loaners and have looked after my last two (both lpg) and my fathers lpg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information