Thread: Winter Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Winter Kit

As one or two of you may have read in a recent thread of mine, I'm starting a new job soon which involves a 40 mile commute (each way) along twisty-turny, unlit A-roads, which will obviously be done in the dark for the return journey.

So, what do you all recommend as useful kit to keep in the car, in case of adverse weather, for example snow that starts falling at lunchtime, meaning that there's quite a few inches by the time I leave (my job will be as a fairly senior Manager, so legging it home at the first sign of a few flakes isn't something I can get away with anymore...lol). Bare in mind that I have a 2.0T Signum, which because the engine is all aluminium and therefore lighter than iron-block engines, means it's particularly bad in snowy conditions.

Also, recommendations for kit that would be useful during emergencies....e.g. a puncture at the side of a busy A-road, so flashing beacons, etc etc.

Lastly, does anyone have specific recommendations for a snow shovel - I can't work out what the best sort is. I've seen some folding ones, but they have a very rounded front face, which seems more for digging a Land Rover out of sand rather than shovelling snow from in front of tyres.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

snow socks, halfords do a snow kit with foil blanket, make sure u have a thermos with hot coffee/tea/soup etc each way (if you think its going to snow bad) so you can keep warm if you get stuck, you could get some tyreweld stuff for punctures to get you out of a fix, touch is handy as well if you dont already have one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

aa or rac card, incar phone charger. and a extending wheel brace (which has to be one of the chepaest and best things to have to the standard supplied one) with a good condition / useable spare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.9cdti (120)

Year : 2007

Mileage : 45k

Well.... how far do you go?

For me it's hope for the best, kit for the worst. I am St John Ambulance trained so have adopted a always stop, never drive past attitude to accidents and or broken down vehicles in a dangerous position.

I'll start with lighting. The links below are what I would recommend and have/have fitted to my Vec. The HAL led's (Blue or Amber) fit perfectly in the light clusters. A hole is drilled in in the bottom with a rubber seal turning the clear lens'ed reverse lights in a very bright visual warning (I'm not sure if it's the same for the Signum?). I haven't got the funds yet but will install the same, although White/clear, into the front Fog light housings.

The link for the relay can be installed into the fog light bulbs circuit for a slow alternating flash pattern. It won't work if you have done the 'duel fog light' mod (unless you add diode).

Finally, the Mega Flare(s) can be used as cones and have the advantage of being positioned round a bend before a oncoming driver would see your vehicle/crash scene.

http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co...lue-p-498.html
    http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co...sher-p-11.html
    http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co...cons-c-86.html

Other kit: (Not suggesting you should get all of this by the way ) Left to Right... D size bottle of o2, Hi-vis long sleeve jacket, First Aid kit, Swarfega wipes 3m Dust mask, latex gloves, 30m climbing rope, 2 carabiners figure of eight, climbing harness, Dry Powder fire extinguisher Heavy Duty 2m Jump Leads, Warning Triangle, Gafa Tape, x4 self heating meals, Tyre Weld, Mag light w/led upgrade, x2 Space blankets, Heavy Duty Tow Rope w/ Vecs eye loop attached, Folding shovel, Cable Ties, lots of Bungees, Tie Down Straps, Emergency Red Bull, Strip of ground mat to kneel on when changing a tyre, Gloves Magnetic signage - Ambulance & Blood, Blanket

When the weather forecast suggests Snow, Wellies Gore Tex motorcycle Gloves and bottoms go in the back. As for your question on a shovel, just stick a garden spade in if you are expecting Snow. If you need it, it will be a lot quicker than using a small fold up type.

This may be of use to you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emergency-...-/380391870064

Personally I just have to thick strips of rubber under carpet rolled up in the right hand side compartment. Attached to those is 4m of wire core with an eye loop on the ends. Clipped on to the rear tow point means you don't need to stop to walk back and pick them up once you have got your self moving.

Hope this helps, Chaz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra C

Trim : SRI

Engine : 1.9cdti (120)

Year : 2007

Mileage : 45k

Quote Originally Posted by 06sri View Post
    aa or rac card, incar phone charger. and a extending wheel brace (which has to be one of the chepaest and best things to have to the standard supplied one) with a good condition / useable spare.
    Agreed, although I went down to a local metal/engineering firm and got a off cut, hollow bar that slots over the OE wheel brace for leverage. Caught them in a good mood, £2, bargain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

lights, high viz gear, in car charger for phone, some chocolate, warm clothing, small shovel and something simple like a few large towels (work great for placing between tyres and compacted snow to get grip). I used these to get people out of ditches and verges a couple of years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra2 View Post
    Well.... how far do you go?

For me it's hope for the best, kit for the worst. I am St John Ambulance trained so have adopted a always stop, never drive past attitude to accidents and or broken down vehicles in a dangerous position.

I'll start with lighting. The links below are what I would recommend and have/have fitted to my Vec. The HAL led's (Blue or Amber) fit perfectly in the light clusters. A hole is drilled in in the bottom with a rubber seal turning the clear lens'ed reverse lights in a very bright visual warning (I'm not sure if it's the same for the Signum?). I haven't got the funds yet but will install the same, although White/clear, into the front Fog light housings.

The link for the relay can be installed into the fog light bulbs circuit for a slow alternating flash pattern. It won't work if you have done the 'duel fog light' mod (unless you add diode).

Finally, the Mega Flare(s) can be used as cones and have the advantage of being positioned round a bend before a oncoming driver would see your vehicle/crash scene.

http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co...lue-p-498.html
    http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co...sher-p-11.html
    http://www.emergencyequipmentshop.co...cons-c-86.html

Other kit: (Not suggesting you should get all of this by the way ) Left to Right... D size bottle of o2, Hi-vis long sleeve jacket, First Aid kit, Swarfega wipes 3m Dust mask, latex gloves, 30m climbing rope, 2 carabiners figure of eight, climbing harness, Dry Powder fire extinguisher Heavy Duty 2m Jump Leads, Warning Triangle, Gafa Tape, x4 self heating meals, Tyre Weld, Mag light w/led upgrade, x2 Space blankets, Heavy Duty Tow Rope w/ Vecs eye loop attached, Folding shovel, Cable Ties, lots of Bungees, Tie Down Straps, Emergency Red Bull, Strip of ground mat to kneel on when changing a tyre, Gloves Magnetic signage - Ambulance & Blood, Blanket

When the weather forecast suggests Snow, Wellies Gore Tex motorcycle Gloves and bottoms go in the back. As for your question on a shovel, just stick a garden spade in if you are expecting Snow. If you need it, it will be a lot quicker than using a small fold up type.

This may be of use to you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emergency-...-/380391870064

Personally I just have to thick strips of rubber under carpet rolled up in the right hand side compartment. Attached to those is 4m of wire core with an eye loop on the ends. Clipped on to the rear tow point means you don't need to stop to walk back and pick them up once you have got your self moving.

Hope this helps, Chaz
    youll be well kitted out for a sudden Armageddon lol

Thread Information