Thread: Selling a SORN car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Selling a SORN car

Following on from my post about road tax.. it was brought about by the following:

Problem i have is the Vectra was due to go today to its new owner, deposit all paid, but they had family problems and called it off. Thinking the deposit would secure the sale, i have since got a new car which is now insured, and the insurance on the Vectra runs out tomorrow! How typical is that!

I fear that trying to sell it SORN will force a lower price, but i would be happy to reimburse the new owner with the cost of road tax for 6 months. Problem there is how do they drive the car away? If they have got temp cover on the car to drive it home thats all well and good, but they would then be driving it without road tax. They cant road tax it online or at the post office as their insurance cert wont indicate it specifically for the Vectra - unless they have a cover note.

I dont want to fork out for a full years cover when it could actually sell in the next few days. Short term insurance is mega expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the new driver will need a cover note with the vecys details, when u hand over the v5 and mot, they will then have to go to the local dvla to get tax there and then but this journey will involve driving with no tax on the car, or you could offer to drive them in your new car to the local dvla, if you have one, then bring them back to the veccy with the tax disc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

either way, no valid insurance (cover note etc) means no tax.

a cover note of some sort will be required, this may involve using a short term 10 day insurance thing where you can print the documents off.

this is a unfortuante postion to be in, i have been in this position many times over the years when buying cars that have no tax.

edit i think the new keeper suplememt can be used to tax at post office, but will still require that all important bit of paper that states the vec is insured.
    Last edited by 06sri; 10th November 2012 at 19:25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

renew the insurance on line (you get 14 day cooling off period) , tax the Vectra, cancel the insurance.

However you may still have problems as there would have to be insurance FOR THAT CAR before the new buyer could drive it away. you used to be able to get a friend to drive a car you had just bought if their insurance covered them to drive other peoples cars, but now there has to be a policy in place on the vehicle as well as the driver.

You might have to bite the bullet and insure it until it's sold if you want to get the best price with least hassle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i think you could go online now and tax the car before documents run out, the tax disc should be with you tuesday or wedensday next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

it appears you can tax this vechile right now online if you want to: the car can also be driven (with insurance of course) without the online tax disc been displayed in the car until it arrives.

You can pay car tax online or by phone if you:
    are the registered keeper of the vehicle and your name, address and vehicle details are up-to-date with DVLA
    have your V11 reminder letter (V85/1 for heavy goods vehicles (HGVs)) or V5C registration certificate
    have valid insurance
    have an MOT, Goods Vehicle or Passenger Service Vehicle (PSV) test (if needed) - this must be valid when the tax disc starts
    have a debit or credit card (there’s a £2.50 service charge if you use a credit card and no charge if you use a debit card)

You should get your new tax disc in the post within 5 working days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by 06sri View Post
    i think you could go online now and tax the car before documents run out, the tax disc should be with you tuesday or wedensday next week.
    That would depend on whether the Vec is tax now but due at the end of the month, after the insurance has expired or is currently un taxed and so it would get backdated to the begining of this month when the insurance is valid.
    (hope that made sense)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

The current tax disc is vaild until March next year.. But if its declared SORN you have to surrender the disc... Thats the real ******!! If i could keep the tax disc as soon as its signed over to a new owner problem sorted as SORN then becomes invalid.

If i dont renew the insurance, and keep the tax disc im liable for a DVLA fine Totally no win for me. A new poilcy (even TPFT) with no NCD (its used on the new car) is crazy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Oh, I see. do you know anyone who could insure it cheap? it doesn't need to be insured in your name just because you're the reg keeper, it just needs to be insured and on the 'motor insurance database' ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

ah so it is taxed, but insurance runs out tommrow, and you legally have to insure or sorn - i understand you now.

aidi looks like you only have 2 choices mate, and thats sorn or insure.

have the new buyers totaly pulled out the deal and now dont want the car?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information