1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

Default o2 Router leaking water

Right guys , bit of a strange one here

My o2 router has been leaking water! at first i thought it was because we have it sitting on out glass tv unit (condensation).
    So i decided to raise it off glass and balanced on top of two small candle holders to allow air. Well this morning i checked and the whole top of unit was drenched!

Here's a bit about my set-up, router is downstairs and my computer is upstairs. I fitted a cat5 cable from my computer and ran it outside bedroom wall down by our back door then into living room wall.

Now cable is massive, around 10-15m long and looks to be in good shape. Cable runs flat then loops into living room wall then goes along skirting to router, which is around 3ft off floor.

Now my only theory now is there maybe a small hole in cable allowing water to travel down, BUT how the hell is it travelling up the cable lol

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Let me get this right? Your router is leaking water?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Maybe is an H2o router and not o2..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

wonder if it needs its nappy changeing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If the water is getting into the cable, i.e. inside the sheath, the weight of the water from the upstairs, down the way is probably enough to raise it 3ft off the downstairs floor to the router.

We had a similar problem but it was an aerial cable not a network one - I guess modern cables are just as susceptible! lol

HTH

Stuart

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Swedge View Post
    Let me get this right? Your router is leaking water?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by wazza View Post
    Maybe is an H2o router and not o2..

Quote Originally Posted by 06sri View Post
    wonder if it needs its nappy changeing.

Quote Originally Posted by 19CDTi View Post
    If the water is getting into the cable, i.e. inside the sheath, the weight of the water from the upstairs, down the way is probably enough to raise it 3ft off the downstairs floor to the router.

We had a similar problem but it was an aerial cable not a network one - I guess modern cables are just as susceptible! lol

HTH

Stuart
    Even if there was lets say a small pin hole, there wouldnt be a sufficient amount of pressure required to propel water along 4ft of wall then 3ft up to router ?

Maybe if it was connected to a hose lol

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

lol i was winding u up sorry, but this is the first time i have ever heard of this with a router.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post

Even if there was lets say a small pin hole, there wouldnt be a sufficient amount of pressure required to propel water along 4ft of wall then 3ft up to router ?

Maybe if it was connected to a hose lol

Was Thinking if you have say a 10ft drop from 1st to ground floor, but only a 3ft rise from ground floor to router, the balance would be off enough to gradually push water up... I could be wrong, but it's an idea and my basic physics brain says it could happen. I'm by no means a physicist, it took me 3 attempts to spell it for a start.

Failing that it's obviously an H2O router as mentioned above. Take it back and get it changed.... hahhahha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Yes - water can get into cables run outside the house (eg aerial cables) and will travel along by capillary action and can go up quite some distance. If the CAT5 you're using isn't rated as outdoor cable (ie UV resistant), it's probably degraded due to sunlight and maybe chafing against brickwork, and letting water in. Try unplugging it from the router and putting the end in a jam jar - you'll soon see if the water's coming from the cable or not.

Replace the CAT5 - ideally run it inside the house. If that's impractical, you'll have to inspect it and repair any splits or holes. It's generally good practice when running a cable vertically down a wall to go past the point it needs to go horizontal, then form a U and come back up. This is so water running down the outside drips off at the bottom of the U, rather than going through the wall.

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by rich r View Post
    Yes - water can get into cables run outside the house (eg aerial cables) and will travel along by capillary action and can go up quite some distance. If the CAT5 you're using isn't rated as outdoor cable (ie UV resistant), it's probably degraded due to sunlight and maybe chafing against brickwork, and letting water in. Try unplugging it from the router and putting the end in a jam jar - you'll soon see if the water's coming from the cable or not.

Replace the CAT5 - ideally run it inside the house. If that's impractical, you'll have to inspect it and repair any splits or holes. It's generally good practice when running a cable vertically down a wall to go past the point it needs to go horizontal, then form a U and come back up. This is so water running down the outside drips off at the bottom of the U, rather than going through the wall.
    This is what i have done looks like i will have to remove it and try and drill through floorboards into hall and then into living room

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information