User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.9 Diesel Engine Upgrades

spoons

Default 1.9 Diesel Engine Upgrades

Was talking with Keith yesterday about the planned 240 bhp engine upgrades to the 1.9 CDTi Engines.

Whilst 240 bhp and 385 Lbft Torque sounds impressive, there has been a few people who suggested that this level of power for the front wheel drive Vectra will be waaaay to much to handle.

So, why not just go for the Intercooler upgrade.

What would the Intercooler upgrade give, in terms of power increase, over and above the 195 bhp Remap.

This might be a better upgrade from the remap, rather than go the whole turbo upgrade route...

Just a thought....

EDIT: And it would be a lot cheaper, and easier to revert back to 'normal' before selling the car

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by spoons View Post
    ...Whilst 240 bhp and 385 Lbft Torque sounds impressive, there has been a few people who suggested that this level of power for the front wheel drive Vectra will be waaaay to much to handle.....
    Dont seem to be a problem for the VXR?
    Edit: mind you was looking at the bhp and not the torque, but as you know, 385 in mine is ok..

Ex Vec-C Admin & Founder Bainie's Avatar
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by VectraV6CDTi View Post
    Dont seem to be a problem for the VXR?
    Edit: mind you was looking at the bhp and not the torque, but as you know, 385 in mine is ok..
    The VXR is made for the power though, suspension, gearbox , clutch etc all made for the job. The CDTi running gear isn`t supoosed to handle so much power so will suffer tremendous stress with 240bhp going through it, the gearbox/clutch being the biggest worry I would think.

On a Sabbatical
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Couldn't agree more Tommy. Anything over 200 in my opinion is pushing it in a 1.9, and anything over 230 in the 3.0.

spoons

I think that I will probably call it a day, once the suspension and brakes have been done on the VXRD.... I think 240 bhp will be too much...

.... but am open minded enough to be convinced otherwise....

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

240bhp ishn't going to stress the car, the 385lbft might though. The diesel have alot of trouble with handling because the torque maxes out so low down, usually no higher than 3000rpm (2600rpm on mine for 354lbft). I'm geting £360 worth of Toyo 888 tyres stuck on mine this weekend to try and combat said.

The intercooler olny should make a difference but would most likely not give you much more usable rev range, just a little more umpf upto where it dies at the moment.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I personally think if you want the most gains out of your standard turbo get the exhaust de-catted and a decent intercooler on with a map tweaked to suit. You should see 210bhp/330lb-s torque then approximately but most importantly the driveability and the ability to keep the power going for longer due to the cooler air.

240bhp on the standard engine will hit it's limits then.

If youre Vectra doesn't have brake and suspension upgrade though I would push it past 200bhp~. Stupid as you can't use the power with **** brakes and potentially have a dangerous car. A properly setup Vectra though would handle it IMO.

Steve - See you end of Feb mate. Bring yer chequebook

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My Zafira was always on the plus side of 270bhp and 290lb/ft, but as Bainie has said, a high power petrol turbo car, delivers it's power in a much more friendly way spread across the rev range.

The Zafira was never a handful, aprt from in the wet.

240bhp in a 3.0 CDTi would be better as there is more weight to get the power down, but in the 1.9 it would be too much.

But to answer your question Steve, an intercooler would add a few more bhp for sure and increase the torque, but the main benefit would be the way it would dramatically increase the efficiency of the engine.

It would make the air more dense and the charge would be entering the engine at a much lower tempurature. It would be a very good safety feature.

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
    Steve - See you end of Feb mate. Bring yer chequebook
    But then again, I still might be too weak to resist... ... anyone want a ride in the beast... strap up now !!

Oh I dont know.... will have to see.... Cant help but think it would be a total laugh...!! - think of the stories I could tell...

EDIT:...... But then again.... how much does a new engine cost ?
    Last edited by spoons; 9th January 2007 at 22:42.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall

Trim : very

Engine : Z19DTH

Year : Nosey

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by CDTi View Post
    I personally think if you want the most gains out of your standard turbo get the exhaust de-catted and a decent intercooler on with a map tweaked to suit. You should see 210bhp/330lb-s torque then approximately but most importantly the driveability and the ability to keep the power going for longer due to the cooler air.
    Mine is producing more power and torque than that without decat or a new intercooler!?

De-Cating the exhaust would stop the car running as the ECU would not accept the sensor readings.

The intercooler should push it up over 220bhp maybe 230bhp.

The power is never going to be a problem though, as it doesn't reach said until over 4000rpm (4300+rpm on mine for 213bhp).

The problem is the torque! You can reach 200bhp with 200lbft of torque at 5,252rpm, or you can reach 200bhp with 1,000lbft at just 1,000rpm.

Obviously the transmission and the tyres would have no problem dealing with the first but the second it completly unworkable... This is the problem diesels have and the only way to combat it is massive tyres and big gears.

EDS have tried to get around this problem by limiting the torque but that's obviously stopping the engine from giving all it can. Unless you build a car to handle as much torque as an engine like the 1.9 can produce, you will never be able to utilize it.

With a standard car, no mods and just a remap, this car will produce well over 330lbft. With a new intercooler and turbo, air box mods, mapping to take advantage of said... It would tear the gearbox apart and buckle the drive shafts of a standard car the first time you put your foot down.

People talk about a front wheel drive car not being able to cope with more than xxx bhp. What a load of poo. The bhp is irrelivant, what it can handle is limited by torque and rpm. As the rpm at the wheel rises it can handle more torque which is why petrols are easier to tune.

The only way to get the most out of the 1.9 is still to get it custom mapped on a roalling road. Every car is different and the torque needs to be ballanced against grip. No body does a remap like this though, they all just wack in a generic map which is of limited value and will never release the cars full potential.

LORD GIVE ME A REAL MAPPING COMPANY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information