0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRI SAT NAV

Engine : 2.2

Year : 2006

Mileage : 82000

Default Cracked and repaired alloys

Evening All, I've just been told that if you have an alloy wheel that has been repaired and you have to claim and the insurance company see its been cracked and repaired they wont pay out. Just wanted to know is this true or is he chatting bubbles? I'm tempted to get a set of snowflakes as love the wheels and if its true seen a set on ebay with 3 good ones might get another one on its own and get them all refurbed so same colour but been looking at the cost of doing that be just as cheap to buy spankers off the stealers but seems abit much to pay £975 for alloys plus tyres when only paid £2600 for the car. They would look class what to do!!! I must say I love the way my car looks at the min just looks like every other vectra but lowered ahhhh lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Insignia Tourer

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTI (160ps)

Year : 2010

A lot of people swear by repaired alloys. Personally I'd never put one on my car ever. When I bought my VXR wheels, one of them had a small crack in it, I sold it and got another one, not putting a wheel that's already been stressed enough to crack on my car when my kids go in it regularly, not a chance in hell.

Your shout though fella, it's your car and your life
    "Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit, you get a warm feeling but nobody else notices"
    Maptun Tuned 2.0T Estate - click HERE for mods list.
    Brentwood 2012: Winner, Saturday Show. Hull 2012: Winner, Best Estate. Hull 2013: Winner, Best Estate & Runner Up, Best I.C.E

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 57 zafira 1.9 cdti design

Trim : design

Engine : 1.9 cdti

Year : 2008

what if you buy a car with four repaired wheel on that you don't know about? how do you inform the insurance about it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

I fully agree with Ian - alloy wheels are what they say - made of an alloy(mixture) of metals mainly aluminium - to repair cracks they weld the wheel - and who knows what is used to do the repairs probably pure aluminium rods/welding wire, which is unlikely to have the same characteristics as the original alloy mix and will probably leave a weakness at that point. If a wheel has cracked in one place whether through impact or wear and tear chances are that there will be other weaknesses in the wheel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 57 zafira 1.9 cdti design

Engine : 1.9 cdti

Year : 2008

id bank on the cracked wheel being a snowy !... nice looking but about as much use as jimmy savile's cigar lighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Quote Originally Posted by Al 22 dti View Post
    what if you buy a car with four repaired wheel on that you don't know about? how do you inform the insurance about it?
    I doubt the insurance company would ever pick up on a repaired wheel that has been welded and repainted - unless it has been a direct result of any claim/accident - but knowing how they operate if they could find any way out of making a claim they will.
    If you have repaired wheels on your car the best thing to do is ask your insurance company what their policy is on repaired wheels - but prepare to be shafted.
    My lad made a mistake when he renewed his insurance recently - when asked if there were any modifications to his 1.6 Astra he told them he had replaced the steel 15" wheels with 16" genuine VX alloys with brand new tyres. They charged him a further 50 squid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

everything related to insurance is in the policy book, that document is what binds the agreement.

cant comment on alloys and repairs as i know nothing about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 150

Year : 05

Mileage : 74000

nothing wrong with a welded alloy if doing using the proper stuff and by the correct person.
    Plasma's Tech2 services are now open and able to provide services

Admin & Membership Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia

Trim : irmscher

Engine : 2.0 cdti

Year : 2009

people should go and vist a place that solely do alloy repairs before commenting, I searched net for ages and was put off by people's ignorance, I found a place locally who explained the process of repairing cracks and they cut out the crack and welded a section in making it stronger than before.

Bent alloys are different as stress has been put on alloy and even more has to be put back on it to straighten !

I had 2 sport star wheels mended 3 years ago and afaik there still going strong

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by alcutler View Post
    I doubt the insurance company would ever pick up on a repaired wheel that has been welded and repainted - unless it has been a direct result of any claim/accident - but knowing how they operate if they could find any way out of making a claim they will.
    If you have repaired wheels on your car the best thing to do is ask your insurance company what their policy is on repaired wheels - but prepare to be shafted.
    My lad made a mistake when he renewed his insurance recently - when asked if there were any modifications to his 1.6 Astra he told them he had replaced the steel 15" wheels with 16" genuine VX alloys with brand new tyres. They charged him a further 50 squid?
    I'd say that is the norm to add xx amount in your case £50 as he has stuck genuine vxr ones on it's hardly going to be cheaper if he's in a sense adding a more expensive (bit ov kit to his car ) I know years ago I fitted a xp kit and painted my brake disks I told them , I too had to pay an extra xx only right as I thought as I upgraded my car they where not fussed about my painted brakes (but I told them anyway )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information