Thread: Any truckers on here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Any truckers on here?

Just seeing if I can get an opinion from someone who's been there....
    Basically I'm 23 and I've worked in retail since I did my a-levels at 18, and I'm utterly bored. I'm currently an assistant manager at a convenience-type store, and although there's good chances of progression I don't want to be doing this until I retire.
    I've been considering a few careers and being a lorry driver is looking appealing. I understand itd cost a couple of grand to train and get a relevant licence, but is it worth doing? Is it an enjoyable career, fairly paid, work available etc.?
    If anyone on here has gone down this route I'd love to hear your thoughts before I decide on taking the plunge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.9 cdti 150

Trim : elite

Year : 2006

my brother in law has been in the haulage buisness since he left school hes now 43 lol he loves it my mate only paid around £1300 for his class 2 a couple of years ago that was with 2 driving tests he now drives the bin trucks lol .on being paid fairly its like every other job you just got to find the right employer and theres always a demand for lorry drivers .HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Thanks mate, all the drivers I speak to at work say they would reccomend it, its just having the b's to go for it lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hey mate, it is enjoyable depending on what type of work you do. For example you could drive a tipper doing construction /recycling work and work around colleagues all day and work mainly mon-fri or you could do distribution and work anytime and work at long periods on your own. Is it worth doing I'd say definitely and they're is jobs out they're wish pay decent money. There's work available if you go and look for it, in this industry jobs can be more word of mouth and are given to guy's who pop in to an office at the right time rather being advertised. The only problem you will have is getting your foot in the door as you have no experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.9 cdti 150

Trim : elite

Year : 2006

you may find tht like the training place up here in west lothian if you pass your test with them they will recommend you to local buisnesses so could get your foot in the door it may be just a couple of shifts a week but it gets you that little bit of experience (always easier to find a job when your in a job sort of thing lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the above is correct, when i first got my class 1 within an hr and half of passing i had a job offer with a low loader.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

i was the same as you worked in retail got so fed up so i went for my class 2 got a job in a quarry driving cement mixers (best job i ever had) and that lead to digger tickets it def was my break.

have a good look around some companys will put you through your test

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

one thing to think about is normally once your a driver you stay a driver , you probably wont move up any ladders or better yourself apart from doing different work and moving around and finding the best money but in your current job , well who knows you might end up a manager one day on really good money , some drivers do worm there way into management and some become driver assessors but mainly your stuck as a driver for life , not so bad if you enjoy it but the money has been **** for a few years now you have to do lots of hours to get any decent money , just dont go into it thinking its all a bed of roses cos it can be mega stress for little money

Thread Information