0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Honda Civic

Trim : ES with Honda Image and City Packs

Engine : 1.8 iVtec

Year : 2009

Mileage : 85000

rolleyes End of VED?

Well i see, according to last weeks Auto Express anyway, the Government is at last looking at scrapping VED. But as you would expect its not going to be a simplified easy to understand replacement.
    Most people I speak to would like to see an extra tax (5-10p) on a Litre of fuel. This is, imo, a win win for everyone inc the Government. It means everyone pays, theres no getting around paying it, if you do 3k miles a year you pay accordingly, and if you do 40k miles a year Ditto, if you have a gas guzzling Range Rover/Ferrari/Madza rx8 then also your paying from a tree hugging greenhouse gas side of things too.
    Simples, yes? No. Apparently, if this goes through, you will now pay a Purchase Tax when you buy a brand new car, on anything that emits more than 94g co2. Anything over 94g will see a charge of £50 per gram of co2. So lets take a Corsa 1.0. 55.4mpg, but 120g co2, hardly a fluffy bunny killer is it. List price is £9495 at the moment, new list price would be £1300 extra, a Insignia VXR would cost a staggering £7750 more!!! Now its good news for those of us who dont buy new cars, no more tax and suddenly those 2.8T vec and siggys look like a good buy. But lets look at the bigger picture. The only people who will buy new cars are the rich and company car drivers(same thing?)(might need a bigger boat there), so the car industry will suffer as joe blogs either buys an eco box or a second hand car. The car dealer looses out because it will mean he now cant pre register cars as he's not taking the extra hit just to make this months sales look good. The second hand market will also suffer as second hand prices will rise as demand becomes higher. So the Government looses out and taxes have to by increased to help cover the looses, so hard working man looses out as usual, and the rich, well they don't care because they have loads of spare cash anyway.
    To the Government I say either put it back to where it was and everyone pays £120 a year or put 5-10p on a lt of fuel and those who do more miles and/or cause more pollution pay for that pleasure at the pumps.

Have a nice Saturday Ya'all,
    Das.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Facelift Insignia/Corsa D

Trim : LE/VXR

Engine : 2.0 cdti/1.6 Turbo

Year : 13/07

couldn't agree more buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi (VXR Styling)

Engine : Z19DTH (Re-mapped)

Year : 04

Mileage : 140k

I love to see a political argument that actually makes sense, shows both sides and the pro's & cons... Makes a better read then the Facebook keyboard politicians that have slowly cropped up over the last few months

I would def go out and buy a VXR tho, but as said, where do you go in 5/10 years time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I agree completely...however I think it would have to be more than 5 to 10p/L

Mr Avarage doing 10,000 miles per year at 40 mpg would use just over 1,000 litres of fuel and so under you scheme only pay £50 to £100 in road tax. given the avarage cost of road tax at the moment I can't help but think that Mr HMRC is going to want more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Phil881 View Post
    I agree completely...however I think it would have to be more than 5 to 10p/L

Mr Avarage doing 10,000 miles per year at 40 mpg would use just over 1,000 litres of fuel and so under you scheme only pay £50 to £100 in road tax. given the avarage cost of road tax at the moment I can't help but think that Mr HMRC is going to want more.
    But he does get more, because he then gets the extra from those who run around in untaxed cars.Then those cars that qualify for no VED or the £30 band then pay for the miles that they do too. A below 100g co2 car still produces co2, in fact if someone running a car that falls into the less than 100g of c02 bracket does 13k miles a year they are producing the same co2 a year that I am, yet I have to pay £195 a year in VED. In any other walk of life thats called Discrimination, and you just wouldnt be allowed to do it. Then he gets the people who would like to run a second car as a weekend car too. People like Spoons only buy 6 months VED and run it as a summer car only, but there are always going to be days in the latter months that he may have wanted to take his car out for a blast. Look at all the pre 71 cars that dont have to pay tax either, he gets money now from them too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I agree with most of it but for the extra tax on buying a new car.
    I will never buy a new car unless i win a load of cash but a lot of people buy new so i think this would be a bad idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by DasArab View Post
    But he does get more, because he then gets the extra from those who run around in untaxed cars.Then those cars that qualify for no VED or the £30 band then pay for the miles that they do too. A below 100g co2 car still produces co2, in fact if someone running a car that falls into the less than 100g of c02 bracket does 13k miles a year they are producing the same co2 a year that I am, yet I have to pay £195 a year in VED. In any other walk of life thats called Discrimination, and you just wouldnt be allowed to do it. Then he gets the people who would like to run a second car as a weekend car too. People like Spoons only buy 6 months VED and run it as a summer car only, but there are always going to be days in the latter months that he may have wanted to take his car out for a blast. Look at all the pre 71 cars that dont have to pay tax either, he gets money now from them too.
    I do hope you're right, I currently have 2 cars a van and a motorbike, all of which are on the road with T&T all year round. I can only drive one at a time so under your system I only pay VED while actually driving. .

DasArab for Prime Minister!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Nissan GT-R R35 Vectra XP2 CDTI

Trim : Nissan GT-R R35

Engine : 3.8 twin turbo 700hp

Year : 2010

Well whatever happens the money dosnt still dosnt get spent on the roads and potholes grrrrrr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Agree'd. Even if they were to ring fenced 75% of VED for road maintenance it would be a big improvement. Too many junkies and illegal immigrants out there to look after first though I suppose. I do wonder if its about time Illegal drugs were made legal. Imagine the taxes the government would gain overnight with that one, controversial I know. The NHS and Social Services are already forking out for services that have no actual income, at least Drink and Tobacco pay taxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Golf 7

Trim : GTD

Engine : 2.0 TDI 184PS

Year : 2014

Mileage : 40000

£50/gram over 94g? That works out on a CDTI 150 at £3,150 tax per year. Put it back or stay as is.

Better idea, bin the stupid VED we already pay enough in the fuel duty anyway. Sorry the whole lot rings Money Makeing Racket to me of no benefit to working Joe Public whatsoever. I can see the script coming a mile away - there will be a 'benefit' for the lazy ones. There always is, always has been.

I also heard there was a possibility of the roads being privatised and tolls going up, lets be honest it's half way there anyway as maintenance for mosts if not all is by contractors.
    Last edited by GazVXLINE170; 21st October 2012 at 22:56.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information