Thread: A few tyre and other problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default A few tyre and other problems

So heres the story i went out this afternoon to pick my girlfriend up from work and noticed my car was steering to the left a bit, so once i got back home i check the pressure and it was at 18psi with the other side and backs on about 25psi so i pumped them all to 32psi and went out to the shops to see how it felt still going to the left and after a mile the tyre had gone 100% flat i had to stop and put the space saver on to get home.

once the tyre was off this is what it looked like

all the inside edge i can see wire (guessing this isnt legal) then had to return with my racing light space saver on

not the look im going for really.

Once i got home i took the other front off just to have a look and its perfect no uneven wear getting near to the wear limit but apart from that no wire on that one.

I know that the driver side (good tyre) had a bush changed about 2 months ago but only that side got it changed but that can cause the full problem can it?

i have no idea if it matters but my car is squeaking loads when it moves or even if i jump about on it not sure if that to do with the suspension or wheels or anything but the sound is coming from the front somewhere

So if anyone can shine some light on this for me it would be helpful im currently driving round with 3 white 18"s and 1 black 16" steel rim it looks shocking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Astra-J

Trim : Elite

Engine : 2.0 CDTi

Year : 2013

Can't help with the tyre wear, but for safety sake you're supposed to fit the space saver on the rear, not the front.

i.e. remove a good wheel from the rear, and fit SS in its place. Then substitute good rear wheel for damaged front one.

Fitting the SS on the front can affect the braking and steering a lot more than if fitted to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigoT View Post
    So if anyone can shine some light on this for me it would be helpful im currently driving round with 3 white 18"s and 1 black 16" steel rim it looks shocking
    Not sure if that's just a tongue in cheek comment, I'm guessing it is cos of the smiley, BUT if it isn't then you shouldn't really be driving the car until the fault has been rectified. The SS is a get you home / to a garage emergency wheel only.
    Last edited by Big Dave; 15th October 2012 at 02:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

the space saver is now off and its got 2 full size 16" rims on the front, im getting 2 new fronts today so il be back on the road with 4 of the same size wheels ect but il need to sort out why its done it before my new tires get wrecked

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : 1.8vvt

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.8xer

Year : 2008

Mileage : 20,000

Hello m8, there seems to be an awful amount of wear on them tyres,good job the police did not stop you my friend--heavy fine and points and they would of stopped you from driving it.I am always checking my tyres as i believe they should always be in tip top condition-more so if you are carrying your family around in the car.Never scrimp on tyres my friend----Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by CraigoT View Post
    I know that the driver side (good tyre) had a bush changed about 2 months ago but only that side got it changed but that can cause the full problem can it?
    After any change in suspension components a full four wheel alignment should be carried out

Excess wear on one front tyre suggest the front toe was incorrectly adjusted
    A quick solution to adjust this, is to adjust one side only so that the toe is correct
    However, this method is incorrect, instead both sides need to be adjusted and checked to 0 degrees

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Right i've got 2 16"s on the front still but tomorrow the new tires will be in and the guys going to look at the tracking and other things that
    could cause it.

currently driving around with 2 white rims on the back a black one on the passengers side and a silver one on the drivers it looks a right state
    i need to get this all sorted asap, once im back to 4 wheels il get to a garage about the alignment i think.

Thread Information