User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plumbing a bathroom with speedyfit connections - yes or no!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused plumbing a bathroom with speedyfit connections - yes or no!

as above any one on here used and been happy or indeed have had a bad experience of using the above for basically plumbing in a complete bathroom suite - oh and moving and refitting a central heating radiator.

cheers guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Toyota

Trim : Yaris Hybrid

Engine : 1.5 Hybrid

Year : 2021

Mileage : 5525

hmmmmmmmmmmmm must admit am not to keen on that .especially if your tiling the floor in the bathroom. Personally would worry me all the time those connections .
    Seen a few scary reports on tv shows about them .
    But I guess there are probably as many ppl who have been happy with them .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I do a fair amount of plumbing and have used many speed fit connections and my opinion of them is they are ok if they are in a place you can access easily, if you are doing like most builds are doing and plumbing the whole system including under floor boards then a definate no, you need to remember they consist of a rubber ring insert and eventually rubber deteriates causing leaks. They dont often blow off but not is not unheard of. Im not a plumber by trade but have self taught doing a welded join and is a 1000% times stronger and more reliable, even if it cost a few quid more and hours work you get such a better piece of mind, hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : insignia vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 turbo

Year : 61

Mileage : 38000

ive used them when i put in a extra rad , as im hopeless with a soldering iron . not had a problem with it in around 4 years now .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

hiya buddy, they do have their uses but i wouldnt re pipe a complete bathroom with them, but obviously if doing it as a diy job most arnt able to solder so push fits are an easy alternative. i install c heating etc. but that said every new build house put up these days uses plastic pipe and push fit fittings for the whole system (central heating and hot/cold water) and most the time its the plastic pipe that causes us the problems not the fittings. if your gonna use them and im guessing your going onto copper just make sure the copper is cleaned before and use a little lube, also if pipe is cut using hacksaw file the edge first so to protect the o ring in the fitting, sorry if thats teaching you to suck eggs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Just to add to that, i find using a dribble of fairy liquid round the pipe helps with fitment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

No I have used them in the past - but wouldn't recommend them - always had a couple that leaked - I would only use them in a awkward place where it is not possible to solder the joint using copper pipes and fittings. Another thing that a lot of people don't realise when using plastic piping is that most houses earthing system is bonded to the copper plumbing pipework to carry the earthing circuit around the house and if you install an electric shower for example it could be that the unit is not properly earthed and there is a big risk of electric shock. A whole new earthing system needs to be installed throughout the house.
    As Soulman says a lot of people will have used these joints and been happy with them but personally I wouldn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2007

I think I was talking to a plumber once about this and it's not up to spec to use under floor boards iirc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

guys thanks and your experience is welcomed gladly, I pride myself on being able to do nearly everything in the home, built and designed and fitted my kitchen ,wall papering , painting, joinery , fitting doors, building decking,landscaping my gardens and laying new lawns, builing flower beds etc laying a drive 60 foot x 10 foot and then building a garage 22 foot long x 10 foot wide but for some reason water scares the **** out of me lol...........I just begrudge paying a plumber £100 a day for something which I think I should be able to do myself.........

as stated all new builds are done this way...........can they really be that bad? my thoughts are i can use a complete length under the floor for example and have joints above where they can be got to if required!

also i have seen copper fittings but i guess these have the same issue regarding the seals, thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by hairy31 View Post
    guys thanks and your experience is welcomed gladly, I pride myself on being able to do nearly everything in the home, built and designed and fitted my kitchen ,wall papering , painting, joinery , fitting doors, building decking,landscaping my gardens and laying new lawns, builing flower beds etc laying a drive 60 foot x 10 foot and then building a garage 22 foot long x 10 foot wide but for some reason water scares the **** out of me lol...........I just begrudge paying a plumber £100 a day for something which I think I should be able to do mysel

as stated all new builds are done this way...........can they really be that bad? my thoughts are i can use a complete length under the floor for example and have joints above where they can be got to if required!

also i have seen copper fittings but i guess these have the same issue regarding the seals, thanks again
    copper push fit fittings you mean?? they are the same but people use them as they dont look as ugly on show as the white push fit fittings. like i say copper and soldered fittings are best (obviously) but if you cant solder and you would rather do the work yourself then its either push fit or compression fittings, most the time ive been called to diy plumbing disaters on push fit fittings, its because the pipe wasnt cleaned of old paint etc (if going onto old copper) or the pipe being cut with hacksaw and not filed, i use a pipeslice which leaves a nice cut not rough like a hacksaw. i always make sure the copper is nice and clean with wire wool nice clean cut edge as the rough edge could damage the oring when pushing on the pipe. and a little bit of washing up liquid as lube. and just be sure the fitting has been pushed full socket and youll be fine, obviously the least about of fittings under the floor. none if poss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information