Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default The results of DMF change

Sorry, wrong forum by mistake (tabbed browsing has it's pitfalls). Sure someone will move it soon enough

So just took my motor to A1 clutches, £619 for DMF, CSC and clutch which seems to be the lower end of the price bracket ive seen (though not the cheapest). I went to their tipton branch and if anyone's in or around the black country, i would highly recommend them.

However on to the bad news, on the warranty/invoice sheet, their kind enough to detail a small report on any issues they find with the car in general. As expected i got the ABS sensor fault and they detailed the knock on the front of the car (still not figured out what that is yet).

However onto a few of the more worrying points:

1. Slight oil leak from from engine & gearbox. (GB oil was low so they topped it up)
    2. Gearbox slightly noisy
    3. Gear selector worn

I check my engine oil regularly so whatever the leak is i dont think its too bad, never seen a puddle of oil and i haven't needed to top it up since i last changed the oil, so its something i'll just live with unless i or a mechanic happen to find the culprit whilst under the car and its easy to fix.

The gearbox being noisy is my most annoying problem, my main reason for taking the car in was because i was getting like a wobbling noise with the clutch depressed when stationary, and i started getting it when i was in neutral and coming to a stop. Some people said DMF, my suspicion was the release bearing by looking online.

Whilst it doesn't seem to sound as much like a wobble anymore, its more of a low droning sound, which im assuming is what the mechanics are referring to when they say its noisy.

The gear selector being worn im not too sure what that means. The receptionist seems to know a fair bit about this stuff in order to talk to Joe Public, and said all the issues were all pretty minor. Im assuming if you crunch the gears then this wears out the selector (which i must admit ive done a couple of times since owning the car and no doubt whoever had it before might have subjected it too the same thing since it was a company car). Im just hoping it's not that bad and its just them covering their backs and telling me what they found no matter how small.

Gotta go for regular checkups, first one at 500 miles so im gonna try and grab a mechanic there and just ask them to explain the noise from the gearbox when the clutch is depressed, simply so i know whats going on.

Oh and one more thing, who else stalled there car when trying to pull away after having the clutch done :P
    Last edited by djlee; 19th September 2012 at 18:06.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vauxhall Insignia

Trim : SRI Nav

Engine : CDTI 160

Year : 2009

Other than stalling it :P how different did it feel? Mine's in bits on the floor of my local garage waiting for clutch kit to arrive sometime tomorrow!

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

To be honest i haven't noticed a massive difference at all. The clutch feels different when changing gears (obviously with it being a new clutch the biting point has changed e.c.t.), and that difference "feels" better to me. But i haven't noticed it as much as other people. It seems to start a little nicer, especially from cold, but time will tell if that's just a placebo effect or not. But then again i've only had the car a year, been driving just over 2 years, and my other car was a 1.2 fiesta, so im probably not the best person to ask that question too anyway.

Having said that, mine was probably quite fine and probably wouldn't have needed changing anyway, or not changing for a very long time (going to get the old parts out of the boot tomorrow and see how bad they were, if at all). I had the work done as everything i could find about my problem pointed to DMF or release bearing, but after having the work done, the annoying wobbling noise (which until today i thought had turned into a quieter droning noise) is still there, which i'm beginning to think is a new gearbox job if I want to get rid of it.

Thread Information