Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Auto Express

Hi All,

Auto Express did a comparison between the facelift vec & its main competitors (all Diesels).

As usual they seemed quite negative about the vec & rated the vw passat, which I expected anyway.

What is strange is that they said the vec felt among the slowest, although the facelift 0-60 is slower (why?) than the current one, I find this wierd.

We have 2 like cars in our company, - My 54 vec 1.9cdti 16v & my mates 05 Audi 2.0tdi sprt (with the same engine as the vw).

I have driven the Audi a few times & it is almost identical to drive as mine except:-

The turbo comes in slighly sooner in the Audi & a bit more suddenly but runs out earlier so you change earlier. The vec I think is slightly quicker overall, but only fractionally.

The suspension on the Audi is harder (probably cos its a sport), so it corners better but not if the surface is uneven, when it jars noticably.

The differences are quite subtle & otherwise the cars feel the same day to day.

The reason he went for a diesel was cos he drove mine & couldnt believe it. When he picked up the Audi he asked me to drive his to confirm it was up to the standard of the vec!! (which it is, as you would expect) This seemed backward to me (why not buy a vec then?) but anyhow he's happy so what the hell.

They praised the Mondeo as well & I've driven them & don't like any of them.

They also said the Accord was the most powerful & I've seen several of them off on the M6 no problem, they don't come close in diesel form to the vec's "pull".

What you guys & gals think?

I

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well, i can only speak about the mondeo as we have one at work, and its not a patch on my vec, plasticky interior and keeps stalling when pulling away unless you rev the dogs off it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

although the facelift 0-60 is slower (why?) than the current one, I find this wierd.
    I thought this until I looked at the figures. The current one is quoting 0-60 and the facelift is quoting 0-62.

I'll almost guarantee that they're identical!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by prm
    Well, i can only speak about the mondeo as we have one at work, and its not a patch on my vec, plasticky interior and keeps stalling when pulling away unless you rev the dogs off it.
    I know what you mean. The Mondeo is a very good car. However, I have lost count the times I have stalled them esp' the tdci's. Its not alone though. I find some of the late petrol BMW's to be the same and the 1.4 petrol Audi A2's worst of all.

I can only assume that the facelift Vec is slightly slower is purely down to emissions.

Working in the trade gives me the chance to drive lots of cars Some exotic some not so. Come 6 pm though, I'm always glad to get back into my Vec. Its not perfect, but as an over all package I can't find much to beat it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant
    I thought this until I looked at the figures. The current one is quoting 0-60 and the facelift is quoting 0-62.

I'll almost guarantee that they're identical!
    Hi mate,

That makes sense, but surely not nearly 1/2 sec for 2 mph? Must be something else.

The Power & Torque figures are slightly different as well aren't they?

I

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I very , very nearly bought a Mondeo ST 155 TDCi just prior to getting the Vec. It was a very nice car, but the dealer wouldn't offer ant form of discount. He tried to say there was massive demand and he didn't need to discount. Well he might have the gullible masses to contend with, but I'm not one of them. Anyway, saved myself £8000 and bought the Vec. (Admittedly a petrol). But I haven't looked back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by MLC
    But I haven't looked back.
    Except every time you look over your shoulder to check i'm not unbolting your lovely 19's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information