Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Adaptive?

Dear All
    Do adaptive automatic gearboxes really exist? We are told that they adapt over a period of days or months (depending on where you read) to your style of driving. If your foot mostly just hovers over the throttle then it will learn to change up early. Conversely, if you're a boy-racer, it'll wait till later in the rev band.
    This just doesn't make sense to me: surely the computer simply has to see at any moment whether you are driving gently or flooring it to decide what is required. If it did learn you're soft on the pedal and then you suddenly need a burst of acceleration to get you out of trouble, would the software refuse?
    Further, wouldn't it be confused if the car is driven by dad, mum and Jimmy?
    I haven't been able to find any detailed info about what exactly the box is supposed to do....it seems to be a secret: I have had a problem since new with my auto box which I commented about on this forum some years back. Vauxhall seemed clueless so I contacted Aisin Seiki who suggested I contact Vauxhall. I don't suppose a Haynes Manual would be much help either!
    I did find a little information on the internet where the manufacturer described the box as 'adaptive' but it meant that it would adapt to a variety of engine sizes, NOT adapt to the driver.
    Ramble over...would love to hear your views.
    Best regards
    Ray
    Vectra 2007 3.0 Diesel V6 CDTi 6 speed auto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

When "fuzzy logic" and "adaptive algorithms" are involved it means one thing.

Sales Gimmick

But when even the sales staff don't even mention adaptive transmission it means it tells you something.

Some transmissions are supposed to switch to different ecu maps for different conditions built up over time by the drivers "style" of driving.

Yea right.....................

Lets hope someone can be more definitive but my experience is limited to Mercedes S class transmissions
    which seem to be "adaptive" to all conditions and all drivers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I work for mercedes and all our auto boxes in the last 10 years or so adapt to drivers style. some cars feel so different to others it's mad. Just how they hold gears to let it rev and perform better. Takes around a month to adapt fully is what we find. Tbh though nobody else makes an auto like mercedes as they but millions into each box as it's all we use except the odd manual which are awfull tbh and arenightmares to drive smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by sriandy View Post
    I work for Mercedes and all our auto boxes in the last 10 years or so adapt to drivers style. some cars feel so different to others it's mad. Just how they hold gears to let it rev and perform better. Takes around a month to adapt fully is what we find. Tbh though nobody else makes an auto like Mercedes as they but millions into each box as it's all we use except the odd manual which are awful tbh and are nightmares to drive smooth.
    Totally agree, get in one that's been driven around London and then one that's spent its time on the motorways and open roads and they are like chalk n cheese.

Mercedes 7G-Tronic Plus

mercedes7gmain.jpg
    Last edited by C-Owner; 15th September 2012 at 21:37.

Thread Information