Thread: air compressor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

mainly for acluter:

the way i see this, and yes it is simply different, but a 20 yr old house with 20 year s of gloss on its skirting boards, bits of carpet and all sorts stuck to it, paint runs galor, to fix this you would remove paint, sand it back add some primer then re paint.

the learning process here, is setting the gun correctly, mixing your paints and keeping things clean, and practice, dont go drowing it in paint, i do not for one minute think im gona uppack my compressor add the paint to a gun, spray and get a perfect results.

i will be practing first, setting gun up etc and using the cheapest paint i can find (need to make sure you use the same materials that you wil be spraying your bits eventually with) and have a practice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by bigwilks View Post
    I used to sell for Machine Mart and for using airtools and getting a good spray you need at least a 50ltr tank with a min of 8CFM motor and pump, its not all about the PSI even a small comp will supply that its about the Cubic Feet per Min it gives you, even small DA tools,ratchets etc will draw alot of air in one gulp so the motor and pump needs to be able to supply it to the tool or spray gun.
    yep learned this through research over past few days, thats why im looking at the one i linked too so hope ive found one that is gona actualy do the jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by happypostie View Post
    dont know if this is any good , but lidl will have these on offer .

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//...ate=34408&ar2=
    from what i have learnt postie, that one is not really fully usefull for us as car people, its simply not big enough to put it simply, it may paint eye brows and grills and small lip spoilers but may run out on you etc. probaly really strugle on a bumper? this is what people seem to say, but you also get people saying it will do a bumper.

but for real air tools even a windy gun, those compressors wont cut it, they will do tyres fine and run low consumption air tools (not very powerfull)

and that one is not a belt driven one - which poeple also frown upon durring my research.

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by 06sri View Post
    from what i have learnt postie, that one is not really fully usefull for us as car people, its simply not big enough to put it simply, it may paint eye brows and grills and small lip spoilers but may run out on you etc. probaly really strugle on a bumper? this is what people seem to say, but you also get people saying it will do a bumper.
    i painted a full car with one that size

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by thatplace View Post
    i painted a full car with one that size

not in one go thought lol and how many times did it have to recharge?

On a Sabbatical
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

not in one go thought lol and how many times did it have to recharge?
    obviously not in one go because you have to leave it between coats, the compressor is constantly running but you don't need to stop half way through a coat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra c 1.9cdti 120 estate

Trim : design

mainly for acluter:

the way i see this, and yes it is simply different, but a 20 yr old house with 20 year s of gloss on its skirting boards, bits of carpet and all sorts stuck to it, paint runs galor, to fix this you would remove paint, sand it back add some primer then re paint.

the learning process here, is setting the gun correctly, mixing your paints and keeping things clean, and practice, dont go drowing it in paint, i do not for one minute think im gona uppack my compressor add the paint to a gun, spray and get a perfect results.

i will be practing first, setting gun up etc and using the cheapest paint i can find (need to make sure you use the same materials that you wil be spraying your bits eventually with) and have a practice.
    Thanks for the reply - I'm not criticising what you plan to do and I would like to have a go at it myself - I have most of the equipment to start spraying but have never taken the final step and got started. I think the main thing is that I don't have access to an enclosed building I could do it in and it would have to be done on the drive - and I don't really want to upset my neighbours with overspray lol. I wish you luck with it and I'm sure with plenty of practise you will get there - sometimes like most jobs we do reading into it and researching makes the job seem a lot more difficult than it is in practice. I buy and renovate houses and have taught myself to plaster - using a DVD I bought off Ebay - and have had some great results, doing whole rooms and ceilings, and saved a lot of money over the years. Good luck with it and please let us know how you go on.
    Last edited by alcutler; 13th September 2012 at 08:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

didnt think your critising at all mate, it was more to spur you on to have ago to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

well have 100% decided to go down the air compressor route, even more so when i clicked on i can run masonary paint, emulsion and gloss paint through the system.

now on to the spray gun.

i dont want (yet) full size guns that are used for full car sprays.

im thinking about the following.

1x mini hvlp 0.8 mm
    2x 1.4 hvlp 1.4

and maybe in future 1x 1.7 hvlp for primer, and for house use emulsion / gloss paint.

will be using 2k paints primers etc for my car bits.

also have a load of brand new interior doors in primer that need to be gloss sprayed

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information