Thread: Gutless Sri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default Gutless Sri

I have a petrol 2.2Sri which I have owned for about 5 months. I like the car very much with exception to its performance! The car is absolutely gutless in any gear untill it comes on cam at about 4000rpm. Whilst I understand cars are sometimes 'cammy' I cannot believe my car is running right? Any experianced SRi drivers out there?

When in 4th or 5th the car will simply not pull without having to go down the gears. Whilst I appreciate its not as torquey as a diesal this engine appears to have zero torque. I used to own an eco-tec engined Cavalier that simply pulled in every gear and was awesome. It would destroy my Vectra C! Any advice/thoughts or suggestions would be great?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

when we had a 2.2 we found that the airbox mod coupled to a K+N style filter helped no end to cure the flat spot below 3000 rpm..

The thing is these engines love to rev, so they're not really designed to pull hard at low revs..they really need to use all the rev range

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused

Thanks Mark. If the engine is indeed working as per usual then I guess thats a good thing in as much as nothing's broke. The downside is that modification may be required which will effect my insurance. Did you declare your mods and if so did it effect your insurance much?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : vectra vxr

Trim : vxr

Engine : 2.8 v6 turbo

Year : 2008

Mileage : 31000

Quote Originally Posted by Gsi3.2 View Post
    when we had a 2.2 we found that the airbox mod coupled to a K+N style filter helped no end to cure the flat spot below 3000 rpm..

The thing is these engines love to rev, so they're not really designed to pull hard at low revs..they really need to use all the rev range
    as mark says they do need to be reved my 1.8 is the same once you rev it above 4000 rpm it doesent half go but at the exspense of fuel economy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

With regard to 'the airbox mod', what exactly is this? I did take the air filter out at one stage just to see of the car would run!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?p=188345

that should be the 'mod' explained, and no.. this one won't affect your insurance as it's still a replacement filter, not a 'performance' mod..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by scott davies View Post
    I have a petrol 2.2Sri which I have owned for about 5 months. I like the car very much with exception to its performance! The car is absolutely gutless in any gear untill it comes on cam at about 4000rpm. Whilst I understand cars are sometimes 'cammy' I cannot believe my car is running right? Any experianced SRi drivers out there?

When in 4th or 5th the car will simply not pull without having to go down the gears. Whilst I appreciate its not as torquey as a diesal this engine appears to have zero torque. I used to own an eco-tec engined Cavalier that simply pulled in every gear and was awesome. It would destroy my Vectra C! Any advice/thoughts or suggestions would be great?
    It depends on what you are used to. If you are used to a faster car then a 2.2 will seem not as powerful. However there could be something wrong with the car. You need to try another 2.2 to compare yours. Maybe go to a meet and have a chat with the lads there...
    I had a 2.2 Direct and thought the performance was quite good and what you would expect.
    I think people have a mis-conception that they think because its a 2.2 (i.e. bigger engine than your average 2.0 hatchback!) it will be quick. I've found it isnt really much quicker than the average 2.0 large family hatchback out there so dont expect it to go like a rocket ship. But it still has good performance/economy nevertheless...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Is that How 2 link apply to the 2.2 petrol aswell Mark?
    May have to finally pull my thumb out & look into this. I don't drive it much so it doesn't drive me up the wall but I got to say it's the performance that lets the car down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

yep, same principle.. i just wouldn't cut the intake trumpet, thats all..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Like all cars, as it has 'grown up' the Cavalier/Vectra range has put on a lot of weight - and the power to weight ratio is largely what governs acceleration. Engine outputs have had to increase significantly just to compensate for the much heavier cars we all drive today. For example, I think a modern Ford Fiesta now weighs the same as two base model Mark 1 Cortinas! The 2.2 unit is not really all that powerful for a car as portly as the Vectra C.

It's quite informative to look back at old road tests to see how little (if anything) we've progressed in terms of straightline performance from the old Cavalier/Vectra A series. However, if you take account of safety / roadholding / economy etc. things have definitely moved on a lot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information