Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default ANy ideas? Engine starved on diesel when pressure up

Evening all, hoping for some wisdom.

My vec estate 1.9 8v is in the local garage and won't start after fitting a new starter. Its a taxi on 226k miles so it might be getting scrapped if it doesn't start behaving.

The mechanics got no error codes to go on at all. Car turns over but wont fire. Have got it down to no fuel at the rail. fuel is coming through when the system is primed on turning the key. The lad says once system gets upto pressure it then falls back to nil.

The garage is a taxi garage used to high mileage diesels and a ford approved site and have all the diagnostics they need.

They have checked
    both pumps
    glow plugs
    Fuses
    injectors (removed and pressure tested)
    Both sensors on the rail and no blocks
    no signs of leaks

They had a week and lots ruled out but no further forward. Last thing I can think of is the ecu.
    I had it remapped months ago for the dpf removal with no problems i think anyway.

They say if redo software they will only put at vx settings so dpf will try and re-activate itself.

As a side line will software update just leave the faithful old spanner light on or cause any problems?

Any ideas bar a match and vectra heaven?

Cheers

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Are they sure they didn't short something out when doing the starter, sounds a bit strange if it was running before ?

Get the re-mapper to re-flash the ecu first, they give 12 months warranty, usually if theres problems they can remap the original then the dpf off for comparison,
    its what I do anyways.

Combination of Preston and Oxfordshire...
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Fuel pressure regulator? The hp pump puts out a constant flow that varies with engine speed - the pressure is controlled by the regulator which adjusts the spill back to the tank as per the common rail pressure sensor readings. During the initial start with the ignition on, it'll be shut with all the pressure building up via the tank pump. Once the engine is started I imagine it'll pass control to the regulator and thus if it or the controller has failed it won't do it's job and possibly stay fully open to prevent an over pressure in the common rail and possible damage to the pump itself. Valve fully open, all fuel flows back to the tank and you won't get any pressure at the injectors.

That's a theory anyway - on the 150 model it bolts onto the top part of the cam cover with two bolts and take the feed from the fuel pump. Should be easy enough to find...

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Both ideas plausible to me and ones iv suggested to the garage. They said would redo software (fixing garage) as possible as only other possible thing left and no fault codes or warnings so software fault?

Prob getting the remap done is it was a different garage and the car don't start so will have to make a few calls on that and bit uncomfortable getting a mechanic to visit a diff garage.

They say check the settings on diagnostic and the showing regulator showing its closed. Will ask them at what point this opens which would show a dodgy pressure sensor would it not?(but they should already know this?)

Checking and removing sensors us harder as its the 120 8v engine and hidden in awkward place. (asked the garage to try fitting a sensor from a different vectra 1.9 car they had in garage but didn't as I'm thinking if no fault codes or low pressure warnings could a sensor be giving out a false reading (shorted??)

As for the shorting problem, surely can't short as they would disable battery as playing with high voltage until fitted and then put battery back on. Many other light voltage things I can understand not removing battery but this? Would that not rule out a short as would be very scary for a mechanic(or stupid).

Cheers all

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Mk1 renault scenic... I know I know but it drives

Trim : Basic

Engine : 1.6 16v

Year : 2003

What is the actuall data they are getting?

Ie engine rpm? Is the new starter actually capable of turning engine fast enough?

Whats rail pressure building upto before dropping off?

Try earthing out the pressure regulator signal wire an see if it'll try an start?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

They say starter is fine. They rekon sensor and regulator is fine and also no codes. (according to the diagnostic and the dash anyway) I'm ask them for the pressure

Il ask them to try earthing the sensor? Any reason why that might work? Would it show a wiring fault?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

After all that fun it was 2 faults together. Got the software re installed with latest vauxhall software which then flagged up the fault of crankshaft sensor.I told them it was that (after much forum investigation not me being a smart arse) when they hadn't got a clue on next day but the diagnostic was giving out correct signal info. S(supposedly an original vx software fault not the remap that gives false readings on that and few other bits like the maf.Only fun now is the remap I pad for 4months ago is a waste of money as the software they used was old software they used not latest. Along with fun the fun that my spanner light is back on.But it's fixed and waiting for the scary bill. Thanks for all inputSo after it being of the road for 2weeks it's was a £35 part

Thread Information