User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Question - a serious motoring one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Question - a serious motoring one.

When your driving the streets of the UK and maybe other far away places, how much time are you actually looking ahead of you at what the car infront & other road users are doing ?

All the time ???

Well today it dawned on me that perhaps 50% of my driving attention is looking at the road surface infront of me looking for pot holes etc. to dodge..!

Our roads really are that bad and unsafe !

Some of my local roads i use regular have had the usual yellow paint sprayed around the holes and have been that way for some considerable time. Today i noticed that those same yellow markings have been REDONE it's taking that long for the holes to be filled. Also noticed they're now painting a white 'X' on manhole covers that are sinking into there surrounds !

What the hell are the council's spending the money on thats actually allocated to road maintenance ?
    I'll tell you what - they spend it on speed humps, blocking roads with kerb stones to slow the traffic, traffic lights on roundabouts and painting in soddin' cycle lanes !!!

Rant over.

Have consideration for the deaf, if you're gunna fart, make it smell !

East Mids - Assistant Regional Organiser - Leicestershire Даниил's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It annoys the hell out of me too. I have lo 45 springs and you know when you've hit one. Even when they do relay a road they don't do it properly.

My old thread http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showth...ace&highlight=

Admin & Merchandise Manager bigmac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try driving in Scotland 90% of your attention is on pot holes lol Roads in Devon are bad atm one of the main roads near me has self imploded leaving craters the size of football's

Irmscher Insignia CDTI 130

MOD'S...Irmscher front spoiler, Irmscher mats, Irmscher door pins, Irmscher rear spoiler, Irmscher grille, Irmscher skirt & exhausts,Irmscher Roof spoiler MOD'S TO COME..Side skirts,Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its b****y ridiculous tbh. I heard a rumour that they wont actually sort a pot hole until its, theoretically, big enough to hold a frozen chicken!!! The ones that are marked with yellow paint leave them wide open to claims for broken suspension, cracked wheels and damaged tyres, as these are supposed to be repaired within a reasonable time scale, yet they mump and moan about the expense they have for the amount of claims to damaged cars. Tell you what just sort the roads!!!! What bugs me more is that when they do come along to repair the holes they just drop a load of tar into the hole and flatten it, then within a couple of weeks the hole just opens up again. If they sorted it properly from the base up and sealed the edges it would be a permanent repair.

East Mids - Assistant Regional Organiser - Leicestershire Даниил's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

British motorists contribute around £46bn to Government coffers through a raft of motoring taxes. But just 20% of that amount - around £9bn - is actually spent on UK roads... from AOL news when Cameron wanted a pay as you drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UK roads are really bad, It really hits home when you drive abroad. I would say the USA have the best ive driven on so far myself, but then the roads in europe are not far behind then (main roads etc). Then back to the UK and they are embarrasing tbh.
    What makes things worse is the USA dont pay road tax etc like we do, most of the work is done by convicts, you know the people that have a debt to repay to the public for breaking the law. Unlike ours sitting in a comfy cell playing the xbox with 3 hot meals a day.....Oh paid by us to lol.

Fil youve started something now lol. But yeah back to topic. I had to replace a broken spring and tyre a few months ago due to a pothole. It was marked out with white paint. I contacted the local council and I was informed that as it was clearly shown with white paint so I cant put in a claim as I should of avoided it, so needed to claim through my personal insurance if I wish to. Well I was watching the cars in front at the oncoming island, not looking for potholes tbh..
    Something needs sorting as I would say 80% of roads in Telford have damage that can and could cause damage to peoples cars. Could be deadly for bikers..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dundee is nuts for pot holes and them stupid humps i wouldnt call them humps i would call them mountains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think every local council has its own way with dealing potholes. Stockton council will mark up anything thats around 40mm deep and now have employed the policy of marking up patches that are starting to fail, but not yet potholes. I use to do patching myself and always used to cut back to good tarmac, clean hole, tack it and use sealer on the edges. We aren't allowed to band the joint on surface of road. Nowadays though they are pushing lads to do more metres a day and the only way to get your metres in do them as DasArad mentions. Where there are many larger potholes in an area they will hire a bobcat/driver in and plane the marked areas which does result in a much better job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try riding a motorbike, potholes can really unsettle the bike in corners and braking etc.

Thread Information