Thread: Battery and charging etc....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

confused Battery and charging etc....?

Having some further problems having recently purchased this car, it's a 2007 vectra 19cdti estate 150 Elite

was using the car today running about a few decent runs nothing on bar the radio, seems later the car was struggling to start! turning over slowly as if battery flat, 2nd attempt turned over faster.

When I got home I stuck the charger on it, was drawing 5amps on low charge, but the indicator on battery is green.

I done the timing belt on Friday full kit inc water pump and a new aux belt tensioner.

I'm suspecting the Alternator? when running voltage goes no higher than 13.8 even with a rev, previous owner claims alternator was recently changed and it does look newish! I'm wondering if an 105amp was fitted instead of 140amp, also noticed with a rev there is a whiring noise might be from Alternator, just not sure where to go with this? battery, Alternator or starter motor?

Any advice very welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I once had one of these newer calcium battery's and I managed to flatten it a couple of times I had it on charge over night and it would not keep its charge even though the battery indicator was green, turns out that you need a special charger for these battery's and once there flat they are very difficult to resurrect

mine was only starting because the capacitor i had for the amps was chucking power back down to crank the engine lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by john norris View Post
    I once had one of these newer calcium battery's and I managed to flatten it a couple of times I had it on charge over night and it would not keep its charge even though the battery indicator was green, turns out that you need a special charger for these battery's and once there flat they are very difficult to resurrect

mine was only starting because the capacitor i had for the amps was chucking power back down to crank the engine lol
    Looks like mine still has original GM battery fitted, but you would think if the Alternator was doing it's job it would keep it topped up during the day?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

they wont always keep the charge if its the original it is 5 year old they normally come with a 3 year warranty id change the battery tbh if its just to check might be worth grabbing one from the scrappers see how that goes but sooner or later id put a new one in

if you can see the alternator stickers if i remember correctly the amps are written on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : GSI

Trim : (vxr/irmy)

Engine : 3.2 v6

Year : 2004

Like my battery it wouldnt keep a charge i just got a new battery and now its fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

I see what your saying guys but my money is on the Alternator! I did a 10 mile run and put charger straight on charge it was drawing 5 amps on trikle charge, 2 hours it was fully charged, did not loose charge overnight, if Alternator was doing it's job I would say it would keep battery topped up?

cheers Ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Put a volt meter across the battery, at rest it should read 12.6v, start the car, the alternator should push the voltage up over 14 volts, add some load, lights on etc, see what the voltage reading is now, it should still be around 14 volts.

If you still have doubts get the battery tested at a garage, they put on a load test and can also do the same with your alternator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Quote Originally Posted by Ben50n View Post
    Put a volt meter across the battery, at rest it should read 12.6v, start the car, the alternator should push the voltage up over 14 volts, add some load, lights on etc, see what the voltage reading is now, it should still be around 14 volts.

If you still have doubts get the battery tested at a garage, they put on a load test and can also do the same with your alternator.
    Thanks I did put the meter across battery when it was idling no load just radio, 13.5 then jumping 13.8 and back down, never tried battery alone, I did notice when I had the belts off spinning the alternator by hand there was a tick noise from it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Get the alternator professionally tested, that is the only way to know for sure. It does sound like it is a little bit low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information