Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Default My dads Citroen C5 calipers

Wasn't sure where to stick this, but hopefully someone here can provide some idea's.

My old man's been getting scrapping from the back wheel for ages now. He pretty much run's his car's into the ground these day's (its had 1 oil change in around 8 years, and that was because i done it whilst doing mine).

So i took the the wheel off and noticed a lot of metal shavings and some shiny scrape marks around the wheel. The scraping was inside the wheel (obviously) and towards the front (the front being the side that faces outwards). The bolts on the calipers were ground down from the scraping. This has happened on both rear wheels (but the drivers side bolt head is too ground down to get anything on it so its gonna have to be grinded out).

I can't understand how this is possibly happening, the calliper is bolted solid (you don't even need to lift it up to change brake pads either which i thought was weird, but its true!). I did notice the back of the disc is touching the slot in the caliper and has worn a lot of the back of the disc away.

The back brake pad had worn down evenly but there was about 5mm of untouched material across the top of the pad. The front pad had even wear and it was like curved so that the two ends had worn more than the middle of the pad.

I took a picture of the calliper which ive put below (may not be very useful). In hindsight i should have taken a load more but my battery was pretty flat.

Any idea's on what could cause this. my only guess is that somehow the caliper has twisted (like grabbing it and twisting it clockwise which would shove the bolts out to the left further, to explain the grinding on those, and close the gap on the back of the disc).

It's probably gonna have to go to a garage anyway, but just trying to work out whats happened.

DSC00333.jpg

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW 525i

Trim : SE Touring

Engine : 3.0

Year : 2007

From all you describe and if you're sure nothing's loose, I would first suggest it's got wheels on that are unsuitable - the offset isn't sufficient for the hub/caliper setup. The offset being the distance (on the wheel) from the flat face that contacts the hub, to the closest point on the 'inside of the "spokes" '... if that makes more sense to you.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Well that was my first thought, but it's a fairly recent problem in comparison to how long he has had the car, and the wheels have never been changed. So that theory doesn't really fit. His latest thought on it is that the calliper bolts are bent slightly somehow (he hung off a bar trying to undo the less ground off bolt on the passenger side) but im not sure on that one.

There's a few different things i guess it could be. But it's the fact its happened on both rear's and not just the one side that confumbles me (drivers side is noticeably worse mind you). The best answer i've found is that the mounting point for the calliper has bent/twisted on both sides (bearing in mind there solid callipers and not the floating types on the vectra's). However im trying to find a way of verifying that and how to bend it back as we speak. But ive got a feeling even if i can verify it, it's going to need heat and a lot of brute force to bend it.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : BMW 525i

Trim : SE Touring

Engine : 3.0

Hmmm.... that does make it an interesting one. Obviously the disc should pass centrally, so if the caliper mounting was distorted in some way you would certainly get the caliper-disc contact that you can see.
    I'd say your theory is heading in the right direction.... however, until you can get to the stripped mounting to verify if it's distortion due to say brake overheating, or worse still cracking of the mounts, I would certainly not be allowing use of the vehicle by anyone.
    Last edited by Handyandy-UK; 2nd September 2012 at 23:28.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : Elite

Engine : 1.9 cdti 150

Mileage : 145k

had a couple of these in at work with the same problem , it appears that the steel bolts corrode ( & most likely the surface the caliper mounts to ) we all know what happens when steel & ally corrode together , this ends up pushing the calipers out until they scrape the inside of the wheels .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Are the wheel bearings knackereed?

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1?? - Teapot mapped

Year : 2006

Mileage : 125000

Quote Originally Posted by DTi Elite View Post
    had a couple of these in at work with the same problem , it appears that the steel bolts corrode ( & most likely the surface the caliper mounts to ) we all know what happens when steel & ally corrode together , this ends up pushing the calipers out until they scrape the inside of the wheels .
    This is the correct answer. I had a C5 before the Vectra and had to do them. The bolts are a real pain to get out and one caliper actually became unusable as the bolts had seized. Getting the bolt out of the caliper mount thread isn't a problem, its getting the bolt through the caliper that will cause problems, even with heat and a hammer the bolt wouldn't come out. New caliper and bolts were needed.

Once you have the calipers off and good clean up with a wire brush to get all the oxidised metal off and they will again sit properly. You will probably need new pads as they will have worn at an angle.

Thread Information