0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2.0 turbo noise

How much noise does anyone else's turbo make on their 2.0 petrol turbo make?

I can hear mine whistling/whooshing when the revs are around 1500/2500 or so, especially recently driving around with the windows open in the warm weather!

I only ask as I've only ever had a turbo on a diesel before and I could hear that whistling then but this seems a bit louder and I feel the car is a bit lacking in grunt when pulling away. It's only got 42k on it. It's had all the servicing done and some nice fresh fully synth oil recently as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is a boost pipe that comes of the back front bottom of the turbo, it goes under the engine to the intercooler.. where is connects to the turbo is a small 6 inch section of rubber pipe, this section is known to deteriorate and come off. you will nee to jack the car up and get underneath it and and check it... of course check all other pipes as well for leaks/splits or loose connections.. they are louder when boosting but don't normally starting boosting till about 2500k on petrols..

I had this pipe come off a few times until i replaced it with a silcon boost hose set from Maptun,,
    My old Signum, the animal; she now rests in pieces in several other members cars.. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=200
    The wifes vec show car, started as a standard daily driver and ended up like this. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=709

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed the lack of go in 1st and 2nd BUT was assured via the site that this is normal for a 2T. Fyi Ihad a traffic light race with someone the other night,all very childish for a man who's 50 in October..anyhow although I 'won' the car was wheel spinning in both gears trying to get the power down..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ta for the comments. I've checked all the pipes and they look very good, the car is a 2008 so not a lot of time for age related failure.

Is the pipe you mean under the turbo towards the bulkhead? I saw that pipe which seems to head towards the big thick inter cooler pipe? That pipe looked almost new to me!

If I floor it, and I mean floor it, the thing is off like a scalded cat which is not use as the torque steer and scrabble for grip aren't good!

Its the lack of oomph at around 70 in 6th gear that surprises me, maybe I'm expecting too much without a remap!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a remap will sport that over 70mph, i am surprised you have it but mine is quite heavily modified and i can't remember what it was like standard, i put my foot done at 100mph and it will push me back into the seat...

the pipe may look new, mine did this at 45k, when i then started modding the engine the boost would blow it off....

you should treat yourself to a remap mate, it brings that engine to life and you will not stop grinning at the difference in performance... most tuners will not tune it be much different in 1st or 2nd although you will still notice a difference, its in the mid range and 6th that you will see the gains..
    My old Signum, the animal; she now rests in pieces in several other members cars.. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=200
    The wifes vec show car, started as a standard daily driver and ended up like this. https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/garag...vehicle&id=709

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine has a BSR stage 1 remap..she will accelerate from 30,in 6th till I bottle it or I have visions of my liecence disappearing. If Im in 6th doing 70 gotta admit that she still takes off n makes me grin like an old fool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After looking at some photos of the engine I think I've been looking at the wrong pipe anyway. It's the thick pipe you're referring too, whereas I've only checked the visible thinner pipes. I can't even see the thicker pipe from above the car so like you say it's a trip underneath to check it out!

I guess if this pipe is loose or damaged it could make a difference to the performance and also the erratic idle speed I've been suffering from since I got the car.

Would this pipe be easy to change, or is it something that would need the car up on ramps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can only really access if from beneath, its not visible from the top at all.. i did mine on jacks, its easier as i could lie down and look upward without shafting my neck or back...

a small ratchet set and some extra jubilees are always usefull, i doubled up on the top and the bottom of this short rubber pipe... do not do this if the engine is warm as you will burn yourself on the turbo or the downpipe..

its not 100% the cause, just one that a few of use have experienced

this was mine..
    Last edited by Caveman_nige; 23rd August 2012 at 20:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just replaced the vacum line on the turbo bypass circuit after poor performance and error code. As you look at the engine, I removed the main air intake pipe to gain access, in the top left corner. Look down in the now empty space and you should see a small bore pipe that runs from the turbo to the front of the engine.Actually to one of the electronic valves.
    Cost me £2 to replace and sorted my problems.

Also changed all the jubilee clips.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just been out and had a quick look and I can just about see the flexible pipe, it's in an awkward place so it's going to be a pig to check or change! From what I can see/feel it seems ok but that's not a good enough test!

I've priced a few remaps and theyre coming in at around 300 quid in the Durham area, but I'd like to think it was running 100% before I spend money on remaps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information