Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : VXR

Engine : 2.8 V6 Turbo (280)

Mileage : 82000

Default A question for the bikers on here

I've been getting the urge to finally get myself booked onto a DAS course and as soon as funds permit and the wife has had a few driving lessons to keep her quiet.

With a bit of spare time today I've been looking into it all from the licence, tests, equipment etc, but I'm stuck on which bikes a good for a first time but won't break either the bank or me. I'd love an R6 but it's asking for trouble hopping onto one of those straight after doing my test and insurance is over £2k.

So I've seen Fazers, Hornets and Bandits are typical first time bikes but none of them really jump out at me. I'm after something that I can get my kicks out of, be reliable and most importantly, not cost more to run than the car.

Suggestions on a postcard please.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Hi CDTiMATT a cbr600/1000f zzr600/1100 zx6/9 is a good first time bike but remember the older you go on a bike the lower the insurance will be and there are still a lot of fast old bike out there.

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Lol -are you serious ? out of the 6 you suggest at least 5 are widowmakers for a first time rider - the zzr600 is pushing the boundaries I'd say .
    I'd definately avoid sports bikes mate , get something that's easier to handle .

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Lol sorry been riding bikes to long I think but when Matt said about a R6 just made me think he was after a fast bike. Ok start again at the mo I'm riding a Tdm850 good all round bike xj650 gpz500 nice little twin my wife has one of them cheep as chips to run and insure all depends on what your after

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

Vehicle : Vectra

Trim : SRi

Engine : 1.9 CDTi 8v

Year : 55

Mileage : 92,000

I'm considering doing my DAS as well Matt, but being 6'4" tall, getting on a 400 (ZXR400) was agony after 20mins (on disused runway) which would be useless for my commute to work and back (50miles each way).

I was therefore looking at a ZX6R purely due to height and the hope that my knees will not suffer as much.
    I've ridden enduro's in the past and not really liked the riding position so supermoto style bikes don't really jump out at me so left with Tourers or Sport bikes...... Few people have recommended the Suzuki SV650 but not so sure on riding position, failing that I might just save up and get an enduro/supermoto (KTM etc) so I can have some offroad fun on weekends (could help learn better control on the slippery stuff )

Good luck to you though

Damo
    Already replaced:-
    Alternator,
    Drilled/Grooved Discs & Pads, Eibach Springs, EGR Valve, 50W HID's 6000k, K&N Panel Filter, LED footwell & boot lights

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

My suggestion would be Kawasaki ER6 , it's more than likely this will be the bike you do you DAS on, so would make sense to stay with the same bike to get some experience of riding.

However a bike only goes as fast as you open the throttle

spoons

Here is my take on it all...

I bought a 1999 model Suzuki GSX600F in mint condition with 4500 miles on the clock for £2000. In my opinion its a brilliant starter bike and these can be picked up in excellent condition for around £700 onwards (I just overpaid because it was low mileage and mint)

Its heavy at 206 KG. This means I had absolutely no problems upgrading to my new Honda VFR1200F at 267 KG as I'm already used to the weight.

Its only got 70 BHP. This means its perfect to learn on and get some safe miles under your belt. Insurance costs me £85 TPFT or £120 Fully Comp without any No Claims Bonus. Its dirt cheap to insure.

Its a sports tourer. This means the saddle is so comfortable on long rides its great. Never had a sore bum, which means you can go for miles and miles and miles gaining experience without fatigue putting you at risk. The 'sports' side of the bike means you can get your knee down, seriously I've had this bike banked over like a racer, it'll do it no problem. Brilliant fun.

Maintenance. This bike is dead easy to change the oil & oil filters, just remove the lower fairing and off you go. However, spark plugs and carb balancing mean full fairing removal.

SUMMARY

This bike is ugly and not popular with the bikers (as the press would lead you to believe). However, the amount of people that have complimented me on the condition of the bike and confessed to owning one themselves has been loads... way more than I expected. Its a great bike.

I've rarely lost anyone on the twisties in this bike at medium level riding (But I put brand new Michelin Road Pilot 3 tyres on and they are great). Only on the straight line sprints does it leave you wringing its neck to catch up.... but thats ok as your still learning.

Join RoSPA and get some Advanced Lessons going. Its around £50 to join and then the lessons are practically free of charge (you just buy your instructor a coffee or sandwich). You'll meet loads of people, go on loads of top quality planned ride outs (rather than just aimlessly riding around) and believe me they dont hang about. lol... you will be pushed to keep up with them when making progress in the countryside

spoons

600 Suzuki Bandits are very popular and good bikes also

I've got a mate of mine who just passed his test and bought a brand new Ducati 848 EVO and I can promise you I leave him standing down the lanes on my 13 year old GSXF

Its not the bike at fault.... but he just cant ride it properly. I think the power got to him and he's lost confidence in his personal safety with it.

I keep telling him to get some Advanced Rider training as it will sort him out, but he's not interested. I suspect the image is more important to him than actually being a good rider with quality skills
    Last edited by spoons; 22nd August 2012 at 08:26.

spoons

Quote Originally Posted by Lostie View Post
    My suggestion would be Kawasaki ER6 , it's more than likely this will be the bike you do you DAS on, so would make sense to stay with the same bike to get some experience of riding.

However a bike only goes as fast as you open the throttle
    +1

Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vehicle InfoStats

If your looking at cheap to buy and insure but still looks good then I'd recommend a Yamaha yzf600r thundercat. It's a sports tourer so it's easy to insure, it's fully faired so looks good, it goes well enough and it's an easy bike to handle. I had its big brother the thunderace and I absolutely loved it. My first bike was a zzr600 which was nice enough but a bit of a dog to look at. Basically stick to sports tourers and you can't go too wrong for a first bike.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information