StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any police officers?

Looking for some advise

Last night I got issues a ticket to produce to my vehicle documents to local police station. And surrender my licence to be sent away for 3 points endorsment

I was waiting on zig zag part of crossing. I know I shouldn't have stopped their but did anyway on looking at the ticket the police women has noted my address down wrong (completely wrong house number)

Now you here various things of if details are wrong nothing can be done etc

Looking to see if someone can confirm or deny this before I go pay the fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ticket is simply a recording device for processing, as part of the Fixed Penalty Notice
    If the matter proceeds to court other documents would be referred to and these should have all the correct details, but you wouldn't know about this unless you decline the FPN and let the matter proceed to court

You have however advised you were waiting on a pedex, but you were also stopped
    These are quite different, so which was it?

I've never accepted a FPN, although the processing is slightly different in England & Wales
    Quite worthwhile if you are willing to attend court (if required) and have the matter thrown out
    Offset the loss of three (or more) days as against paying out £60
    Last edited by m8internet; 17th August 2012 at 13:48.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have the option of a FPN I advise you to take it, if found guilty by the magistrates you will be at least doubling that fine plus the time going to court.

If you are guilty then take the easy option the FPN, if innocent then go to court.

The fact the address is wrong is irrelevant , they will have your car reg and insurance will link that to you license and then to your correct address for the summons to arrive to.

you could ignore it and it may go to court in your absence , they will most likely get the correct details second time round as they will want you in court in person, then you will have to explain why you didn't reply when the officer spoke to you in person, a wrong address is not a valid reason.

Ultimately up to you but I've been in front of magistrates twice now for motoring offences and would take the FPN every time given the chance, remember once you take the points they can then start counting down to expire off your license.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You admit you were in the zigzag lines and knew you shouldn't be, so are you looking for an excuse not to pay the penalty? I usually write off the times I have been caught against the times I haven't been.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew I shouldn't be parked their but thought for the 2 mins or less am with me still being in car an engine running it ahoukd be ok.
    Partner cares for her father who asked for some chips on way their so as we passed KFC I stopped while she quickly ran in.

Not really making excuses as I know I shouldn't have stopped their.

The reason I asked the question is people on work where saying if Any of details on police paperwork is wrong it invalidates it.

Not particularly fussed about the fine it's the points that bother me lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like you got unlucky here bud. Small thing for 3 points. Have you got anypoints on your license atm?

If not, may be worth putting it down to a lesson learned. I got done for failing to stop at a traffic signal. Cop said i jumped the red light, but i didn't. well 60/40 in my favour i think. But was told if i go court and don't win, would jump from 3 to 6 points. Said to myself. FTS and paid the fine and took the 3 points. Never tryed to beat a light since. not worth it in the long run.

just my 2 pence worth..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds a bit harsh alright. Did you fail the attitude test?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Critch;1873130]I knew I shouldn't be parked their but thought for the 2 mins or less am with me still being in car an engine running it ahoukd be ok.
    Partner cares for her father who asked for some chips on way their so as we passed KFC I stopped while she quickly ran in.

Not really making excuses as I know I shouldn't have stopped their.

The reason I asked the question is people on work where saying if Any of details on police paperwork is wrong it invalidates it.

Not particularly fussed about the fine it's the points that bother me lol

[/QUOTE
    Blocking the visability of a crossing is why they put zig zag lines there, so that other drivers can see if children are wanting to cross, by blocking their vision can lead to an accident on a crossing which is supposed to be a safe place to cross.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you've gotten the general feeling on this one, and for my two penneth I have to agree - you did wrong and you know it... just accept the fine, learn from it and don't do it again.

As a word of caution consider this scenario; the courts have the ability to award far greater penalites than those available 'at the roadside', so assume you elect to attend court and point out that 'Mr Smith of 1 Acacia Ave, was issued the FPN and you are Mr Smith of 2 Acacia Ave' and as such you must be innocent. The court would then get to the fact that you were the driver of the vehicle at the time of the alledged offence and so the minor inaccuracy on the ticket can be dismissed. However, the fact that you're willing to go to such lengths to avoid a relatively minor fine shows a high degree of disregard for the safety of pedestrians and other road users and for the courts and as such the maximum fine permissable is awarded (the judge didn't get any last night).... £1,000 fine + costs + 6 points.

A harsh (and slightly unlikely) scenario, but is it really worth it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    StatsVehicle Info
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

::Hacks me off when I see people parked on the zig zag markings in the limits of a pedestrian crossing - because they are too idle to park correctly and put the lives of people crossing the road at risk - I pick my grand kids up from school a couple of times a week and the number of parents that will park on the zig zags outside the school is unbelievable -while kids leaving the school are dodging about trying to cross a busy road unable to see traffic using the road
    Last edited by alcutler; 18th August 2012 at 16:15.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information